Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minus15

Drumgath and aghaderg game down for monday according to down website

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

5 Sams

Ballyholland 0-9 Atticall 0-4

Harps were poor tonight but Atticall were shocking...they didnt score at all in the 2nd half.

For those of you from RGU who were moaning last week.... Murtagh was the difference again. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

dundrumite

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 06, 2009, 12:58:01 AM
Ballyholland 0-9 Atticall 0-4

Harps were poor tonight but Atticall were shocking...they didnt score at all in the 2nd half.

For those of you from RGU who were moaning last week.... Murtagh was the difference again. ;)

How rude of him  ::)

behind the wire

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 05, 2009, 09:58:25 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on June 05, 2009, 09:54:03 PM
Down site very slow night

As is my internet connection  >:(

Where you at the Tullylish/Bredagh game SB?

Personally, I think the team that goes up to Division 2 next year is going to be in for a very rough ride. The standard in Division 3 has been very poor this year.

Was at the game DF. as you say the standard in division 3 seems to have dropped drastically. tullylish always looked more threatening in front of goal but bredagh kept pegging them back even though they were down to 14 for a large part of the second half. ref was very bad, i would think that bredagh feel fairly hard done by.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Square Ball

i would think that bredagh feel fairly hard done by.

was he that bad BTW? as stated I diddnt make the game but it seems from whay you say the ref was, well not very good for Bredagh?

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: Fíor Gael on June 05, 2009, 01:43:43 PM

What is it with this nonesense of trying to publish championship fixtures and results in Irish? Apart from the incorrect spelling of many club names it denies information to those who have no Irish (that is most of us).
Thus the attempt fails to promote our games and also fails to promote the language, and is at a stroke contrary to two objectives of the GAA.
I've lost count of the many times some GAA neighbours from Armagh have asked me about senior championship games in Down they want to attend but couldn't find the fixtures in the paper.
By all means have the dual language information in match programmes but this is silly silly meaningless counter-productive stuff.

Right Leo you arrogant narrow minded p***k, if you need me to justify the use of Irish you deserve the abuse. Irish is our national language, before the colonization of this country by the English it was spoken by the vast majority of the people on the island. The policy of the English was/is to conquer the land and the people and one of the main ways of doing this was by wiping out the language and the culture. Every place, townland, parish, county, every field in ireland has an original name in Irish, a name with a meaning not a bastardised word made up by the English that sounds similar to the original but has no actual meaning eg's Áit tí Cathail - the place of Cathal's house, bastardised english version - Attical. Droim gath - the ridge of the spear, legend has it that St. patrick stood on the hill on Tamarí and said I'll throw this spear and where ever it lands we shall build the church, and hence the location of Droim Gath chapel in the valley below, bastardised english version- Drumgath. Every team in this county and indeed Ireland has a name in Irish a special name, a name with a story and history behind it, we should be proud of this culture and heritage and seek to learn more not walk talk and act like our english conquerors just because it is easier to do so. In fact we should take it one step further and only use the Irish names and banish the bastardised english versions to the dustbins of history. The aim of the GAA is to promote Irish culture, games and the Language, let us as Gaels do that and not fall into the rut of the sky sports brigade. And as for a few spelling mistakes, big f**king deal.
'Tír gan Teanga, Tír gan anam'

Well, thats him told!
Fairplay to ya!
Your spot on too!

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Here you know the way the Ulster Council are goin for this whole 'Land of the Giants' theme for the championship, and the idea is pretty good like, with all the captains on the causeway..but..Im asuming the look they are going for is that they all look really hard, y'know, like tight? Is it just me or does Ciaran McKeever look more suprised, than tight?  :D

Mourne Rover

Fermanagh's defeat against Cavan was a pretty telling indication our of own position. Cavan, a limited but reasonably well organised side, were able to beat Fermanagh despite conceding a dreadful goal early on. It's clear that Fermanagh are ordinary enough, and have probably gone backwards since last summer. However, they were still able to play us off the park in the last quarter at Enniskillen. We are now at best 8th out of nine in Ulster. If Antrim put up a decent performance next week, we will be 9th of nine. We can give the qualifiers our best shot, but the need for fundamental change has never been more urgent.

DaddyLongLegs

Quote[quote author=Mourne Rover link=topic=25.msg561818#msg561818 date=1244330052]
Fermanagh's defeat against Cavan was a pretty telling indication our of own position. Cavan, a limited but reasonably well organised side, were able to beat Fermanagh despite conceding a dreadful goal early on. It's clear that Fermanagh are ordinary enough, and have probably gone backwards since last summer. However, they were still able to play us off the park in the last quarter at Enniskillen. We are now at best 8th out of nine in Ulster. If Antrim put up a decent performance next week, we will be 9th of nine. We can give the qualifiers our best shot, but the need for fundamental change has never been more urgent.
[/shadow][/shadow][/quote][/color][/color]

Well said, Mourne Rover. I totally agree. Down have sliipped dreadfully over the past number of year and to be in the position we are in (you are right, 8th or possibly 9th in Ulster) is an absolute disgrace for a once proud footballing county. Its a long time since a draw against Down would have been considered an easy touch but thats what we are now - an easy touch. Time for a root and branch review of footbal in Down, right down to the primary schools!!!

TheClutch

Just came across this comment. TheClutch, you obviously have a very negative opinion of the Johnnies.. Yes they have had a good start to the year but is it luck or are they really a team on the up?? Dunno, but I heard one of them swear last year that they could have a right go at the senior championship - reckoned they would give the Bridge a run for their money! Nothing like a positive outlook!!! IMHO, I think the Johnnies are riding luick - Div 3 is woeful this year and the Johnnies arent a good team - come the end of the season,I expect them to be in the middle of the bottom half of the table (which isn't as as low as I originally thought - I must admit as I was pipping them for relegation which might'nt happen now until next season)  The Drumaness defeat was a big blow and the win over a poor Str Pauls tells us nothing about their the potential of the Johnnies. Im not a bettin man, but the Bridge need'nt start worrying just yet!!!!

i agree,division 3 has been very poor this year and the results are coming down to what ever team makes the least mistakes.i wouldnt bet against the johnies fancying their luck against the bridge, they are a very arrogant,over-confident team.
on another topic, fermanagh being beat today truely shows the level down seniors are playing at in recent times.many people point to the management for the poor results, this may be true, truely the players only can know this, but maybe they are simply not good enough?
another thing i picked up on today was the referee, i thought he didnt let very much go. this is identical to the type of refing that goes on in down. Down football has lost its physicality because of poor refereing and this is an obvious reflection on our countys defence(except of course for Aidan "rocky" Carr  ;D
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: TheClutch on June 07, 2009, 12:41:50 AM
Just came across this comment. TheClutch, you obviously have a very negative opinion of the Johnnies.. Yes they have had a good start to the year but is it luck or are they really a team on the up?? Dunno, but I heard one of them swear last year that they could have a right go at the senior championship - reckoned they would give the Bridge a run for their money! Nothing like a positive outlook!!! IMHO, I think the Johnnies are riding luick - Div 3 is woeful this year and the Johnnies arent a good team - come the end of the season,I expect them to be in the middle of the bottom half of the table (which isn't as as low as I originally thought - I must admit as I was pipping them for relegation which might'nt happen now until next season)  The Drumaness defeat was a big blow and the win over a poor Str Pauls tells us nothing about their the potential of the Johnnies. Im not a bettin man, but the Bridge need'nt start worrying just yet!!!!

i agree,division 3 has been very poor this year and the results are coming down to what ever team makes the least mistakes.i wouldnt bet against the johnies fancying their luck against the bridge, they are a very arrogant,over-confident team.
on another topic, fermanagh being beat today truely shows the level down seniors are playing at in recent times.many people point to the management for the poor results, this may be true, truely the players only can know this, but maybe they are simply not good enough?
another thing i picked up on today was the referee, i thought he didnt let very much go. this is identical to the type of refing that goes on in down. Down football has lost its physicality because of poor refereing and this is an obvious reflection on our countys defence(except of course for Aidan "rocky" Carr  ;D
[/shadow]

Heard the match on the radio (Ulster) and the referee seemed to be very particular - blew up for disputable hand passes, over carrying etc. What did you make of the "afters" in the second half - ref didnt seem to have a clue what happened and according to the broadcasters, a couple of guys should have walked!! I agree that our southern cousins seem to enjoy more lenient refereeing as regards the physical side, but the ref today was sharp on the finer points of the rules!!

dundrumite

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on June 07, 2009, 12:27:53 AM
[quote author=TheClutch link=topic=25.msg557753#msg557753 date=1243896934]
Good to see Drumaness beating St.Johns. This should ruffle their feathers i believe and their good run of the season i hope is over. All credit to them for a great start to the year, but i still cant see them being serious promotion candidates for this year
[/shadow]

Just came across this comment. TheClutch, you obviously have a very negative opinion of the Johnnies.. Yes they have had a good start to the year but is it luck or are they really a team on the up?? Dunno, but I heard one of them swear last year that they could have a right go at the senior championship - reckoned they would give the Bridge a run for their money! Nothing like a positive outlook!!! IMHO, I think the Johnnies are riding luick - Div 3 is woeful this year and the Johnnies arent a good team - come the end of the season,I expect them to be in the middle of the bottom half of the table (which isn't as as low as I originally thought - I must admit as I was pipping them for relegation which might'nt happen now until next season)  The Drumaness defeat was a big blow and the win over a poor Str Pauls tells us nothing about their the potential of the Johnnies. Im not a bettin man, but the Bridge need'nt start worrying just yet!!!!

[/quote]

Daddy long legs, correct me if i am wrong but did you not have a go at Down Fanatic last year claiming he was jealous of St Johns? Interesting change of stance.

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on June 07, 2009, 02:00:26 AM
Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on June 07, 2009, 12:27:53 AM
[quote author=TheClutch link=topic=25.msg557753#msg557753 date=1243896934]
Good to see Drumaness beating St.Johns. This should ruffle their feathers i believe and their good run of the season i hope is over. All credit to them for a great start to the year, but i still cant see them being serious promotion candidates for this year
[/shadow]

Daddy long legs, correct me if i am wrong but did you not have a go at Down Fanatic last year claiming he was jealous of St Johns? Interesting change of stance.
[/quote]

Thankfully I got over that fit of jealously. It had totally consumed me ;D

Trevor Hill

BRINGING BACK THE DOWN TEAMS OF THE 1960S – Ó FIAICH LIBRARY, MONDAY 15 JUNE

The heroics of the all-conquering Down Gaelic football teams of the 1960s will be relived in a special night of nostalgia in the Cardinal Ó Fiaich Library and Archive, Armagh, on Monday 15 June, at 7.30 p.m.

A special feature of the event will be a show of extended cinema newsreel and television footage of major Down games between 1959 and 1968. Excerpts from the following games, some of which have not been televised in the subsequent five decades, will number among those on display:

• 1959 All-Ireland semi-final, Galway v. Down
• 1960 All-Ireland final, Down v. Kerry
• 1961 All-Ireland final, Down v. Offaly
• 1961 Wembley tournament, Down v. Kerry
• 1968 All-Ireland final, Down v. Kerry

The event will begin with a talk by 1968 winning captain Joe Lennon about the Down teams of the period and reflections on a lifetime's involvement in Gaelic games. Austin O Callaghan (BBC), Fear an Tí for the evening, will later put a few questions to some of the other Down players of the era in attendance.

The occasion will also mark the opening of the second phase of the Ó Fiaich Library's Ulster GAA 125 Years history exhibition, from 1960 to the present day. The exhibition contains many items relating to the Down teams of the 1960s, including photographs, newspaper reports, awards and playing gear.

It is further intended to use the occasion to launch an appeal for any other footage relating to the Down teams of this period, which may be currently in private possession, with a view to the production of a fiftieth anniversary documentary / DVD in 2010.

The evening will be informal in character, and is open to all. Admission is free. Light refreshments will be served.

For more information, please contact the Ó Fiaich Library at 028-37522981.

copied from www.downgaa.net