Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Cloch Scoilte

www.campachomaic.com

Campa Chormaic Coming to Co. Down

PRESS RELEASE

CAMPA CHORMAIC BRANCHES OUT TO COUNTY DOWN

A major new initiative for Gaelic culture in County Down was launched recently in Castlewellan, with the establishment of a branch of Campa Chormaic for the first time in that county.

Dan Gordon, Down football Captain, launched Campa Chormaic An Dúin in St. Malachy's High School, where the Camp will be held this year between Monday 13 and Friday 17 July.

"It is an honour for me to be here tonight at the launch of Campa Chormaic An Dúin," said Dan. "I played against Cormac on a couple of occasions and he was a formidable opponent. As a teacher, I appreciate the value of an event such as this to promote Gaelic games among the youth. I wish the Camp every success."

Dan also endorsed the project. "I am delighted that this Camp will also take place in County Down this year. This demonstrates that a lot of progress is being made in respect of Gaelic culture within the GAA."

Campa Chormaic was founded in 2005 after the death of Tír Eoghain captain Cormac on 2 March 2004. The main aim behind the camp is to stir the interest of the youth in the areas surrounding Cormac's homeplace, in the Irish language and Gaelic games. The intention is to nurture in the children the same passion for Gaelic culture and local history that Cormac had. In its four years in Tír Eoghain the Camp has gone from strength to strength.

"As this is the first county outside of Tír Eoghain to set up a branch of Campa Chormaic, we hope to stage an excellent week, "said Rónán Mac Mathúna, Chairman of the Campa Chormaic An Dúin committee. "We would like to thank Dan for coming here tonight. We would also like to express our gratitude to our generous sponsors, Coiste Chontae CLG an Dúin and FPM Accountants; and to Conall Ó Máirtín, the Chairman of the Campa Chormaic Thír Eoghain Committee, for all his help in establishing the Campa in County Down.

The Camp will begin on Monday 13 July and continue until Friday 17 July, with classes beginning each day at 10 a.m. and ending at 4 p.m. It will cater for children between 10 and 16 years of age. Further information and application forms can be obtained from Ryan Doyle, Rúnaí, Campa Chormaic An Dúin, 17 Doyle's Road, Katesbridge, Co. Down, BT32 5NL; or ring 07799-474078, or visit www.campachormaic.com.

END

Fíor Gael

What is it with this nonesense of trying to publish championship fixtures and results in Irish? Apart from the incorrect spelling of many club names it denies information to those who have no Irish (that is most of us).
Thus the attempt fails to promote our games and also fails to promote the language, and is at a stroke contrary to two objectives of the GAA.
I've lost count of the many times some GAA neighbours from Armagh have asked me about senior championship games in Down they want to attend but couldn't find the fixtures in the paper.
By all means have the dual language information in match programmes but this is silly silly meaningless counter-productive stuff.

Right Leo you arrogant narrow minded p***k, if you need me to justify the use of Irish you deserve the abuse. Irish is our national language, before the colonization of this country by the English it was spoken by the vast majority of the people on the island. The policy of the English was/is to conquer the land and the people and one of the main ways of doing this was by wiping out the language and the culture. Every place, townland, parish, county, every field in ireland has an original name in Irish, a name with a meaning not a bastardised word made up by the English that sounds similar to the original but has no actual meaning eg's Áit tí Cathail - the place of Cathal's house, bastardised english version - Attical. Droim gath - the ridge of the spear, legend has it that St. patrick stood on the hill on Tamarí and said I'll throw this spear and where ever it lands we shall build the church, and hence the location of Droim Gath chapel in the valley below, bastardised english version- Drumgath. Every team in this county and indeed Ireland has a name in Irish a special name, a name with a story and history behind it, we should be proud of this culture and heritage and seek to learn more not walk talk and act like our english conquerors just because it is easier to do so. In fact we should take it one step further and only use the Irish names and banish the bastardised english versions to the dustbins of history. The aim of the GAA is to promote Irish culture, games and the Language, let us as Gaels do that and not fall into the rut of the sky sports brigade. And as for a few spelling mistakes, big f**king deal.
'Tír gan Teanga, Tír gan anam'

fitzroyalty

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Leo on June 03, 2009, 08:38:15 AM
What is it with this nonesense of trying to publish championship fixtures and results in Irish?

How about ye try to learn the few dozen words (in your native language) required.

Or are you a lazy bastard that couldn't be fucked?

Balls in your court on that one...
i usse an speelchekor

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mid Down Gael

Div 1 Results

Castlewellan 1-13 Loughinisland 0-8
Bryansford 3-16 Warrenpoint 0-7

dundrumite

general

dundrumite

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 05, 2009, 07:31:12 PM
Quote from: Leo on June 03, 2009, 08:38:15 AM
What is it with this nonesense of trying to publish championship fixtures and results in Irish?

How about ye try to learn the few dozen words (in your native language) required.

Or are you a lazy b**tard that couldn't be fucked?

Balls in your court on that one...

Why is it only championship though?

dundrumite

saul beat teconnaught by a point...... St Johns beat st pauls by 2...... finn beat ballykinlar

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

Quote from: Square Ball on June 05, 2009, 09:54:03 PM
Down site very slow night

As is my internet connection  >:(

Where you at the Tullylish/Bredagh game SB?

Personally, I think the team that goes up to Division 2 next year is going to be in for a very rough ride. The standard in Division 3 has been very poor this year.

In the Onion Bag

Why no result from the Drumgath v Aghaderg game?  Was it postponed?

Lecale2

Down Results
>
> Thurs 4th June
> ACFL Div 1
> Clonduff 1 12 Saval 1 13
> ACFL Div 2
> Darragh Cross 1 08 Shamrocks 2 07

> Fri 5th June
> ACFL Div 1
> Rostrevor 0 17 Longstone 0 08
> Castlewellan 1 13 Loughinisland 0 08
> Bryansford 3 16 Warrenpoint 0 08

> ACFL Div 2
> Carryduff 0 05 Downpatrick 0 16
> Atticall 0 04 Ballyholland 0 09
> Annaclone 0 11 An Riocht 1 16
> Ballymartin 0 10 Glasdrumman 1 05

> ACFL Div 3
> Dundrum 1 13 Ardglass 1 11
> Glenn 0 11 Drumaness 0 09
> St Pauls 1 07 St Johns 1 09
> Tullylish 212 Bredagh 2 11
> Saul 2 06 Teconnaught 0 11

> ACFL Div 4
> St John Bosco 2 11 Mitchels 2 09
> Dromara 1 11 Bright 0 11
> Ballykinlar 0 07 Aughlisnafinn 0 09
>
>

Mourne Rover

Dundrumite, as far as I recall, the decision to promote all championship, but not league, fixtures in Irish was passed by a vote at the Down county convention in the mid-1990s. There really should be a policy on the issue across Ulster, and there would be a good case for all club championship fixtures to be released in Irish, with English names in brackets afterwards.