Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Quote from: naka on June 03, 2009, 01:13:44 PM
guys in juvenile football what is the date for eligibility is it july or january
January
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

norabeag

Quote from: T O Hare on June 03, 2009, 01:14:58 PM
guys in juvenile football what is the date for eligibility is it july or january
January
depends which club you play for!!

T O Hare

Quote from: norabeag on June 03, 2009, 01:17:15 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on June 03, 2009, 01:14:58 PM
January
depends which club you play for!!

Thats true!!!! :D :D :D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: T O Hare on June 03, 2009, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on June 03, 2009, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on June 03, 2009, 12:56:53 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on May 14, 2009, 01:33:43 PM
Handy game for Glenn ;D

My post was sarcastic!!!!

i dont think it was....very condescending

You would need to know me to understand!!!!! ;)

T O Hare, you can have the benefit of the doubt - maybe you need to brush up on your icons!!! Ive seen St Marys a couple of times this year and they are a strong enough outfit so no surprise to me that they beat Glenn. I was at the Kilcoo/Ford game and must Kilcoo are the complete package (some very talented young players who know how to play as a team) - I dont think anyone will have a handy game against them this year - they will definitely be hard to beat.

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: Leo on June 03, 2009, 11:30:17 AM
Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on June 03, 2009, 09:53:31 AM
Quote from: Leo on June 03, 2009, 08:38:15 AM
Quote from: Lecale2 on June 02, 2009, 10:39:53 PM
Down “POWERADE” Minor Football Championship Result’s
“A” Championship
Rinn Mhic Giolla Rua   1-09   V   Droichead Mhaigh Eo   1-07
Ceathru Aodh Dhuibh   2-14   V   Ard Ghlais   0-05
Noamh Eoin Bosco   2-07   V   Seomrogai an Iuir   0-20
Boireann   4-11   V   An Riocht   0-02
Cill Chua   1-23   V   Ath Bhriain   1-11
Bredach   1-07   V   Cluain Diamh   0-11
Noamh Mhuire   2-08   V   An Ghleann   0-08

“B” Championship

Caislean an Mhuillin   3-19   V   Eanach Cluana   2-09
Caislean Ruairi   W/O   V   Droim an Easa   D/F
Cill Breachtain   D/F   V   Noamh Eoin   W/O
Cill Dara   W/O   V   Noamh Pol    D/F
Noamh Seosamh   2-13   V   Noamh Colmans   2-10

What is it with this nonesense of trying to publish championship fixtures and results in Irish? Apart from the incorrect spelling of many club names it denies information to those who have no Irish (that is most of us).
Thus the attempt fails to promote our games and also fails to promote the language, and is at a stroke contrary to two objectives of the GAA.
I've lost count of the many times some GAA neighbours from Armagh have asked me about senior championship games in Down they want to attend but couldn't find the fixtures in the paper.
By all means have the dual language information in match programmes but this is silly silly meaningless counter-productive stuff.

Leo, you have such a narrow minded point of view towards the Irish language!!

A central aim of the GAA is to promote Irish language and it's culture through the playing of our games. Now if the county board is putting people off going to the games because they fixtures are printed as Gaeilge, well then it's the supporter who needs to have a look at themselves, not the county board!!

If you don't like the fact that the fixtures and results are printed in Irish, well then go and buy yourself a DownGAA diary and do the translation for yourself!!

An Cloch Scoilte, your post is the epitome of narrow-mindedness and you fail to appreciate that there are those who may derive pleasure from attending games who wouldn't even know where to get a Down GAA diary.
You would exclude such people - not pure enough for you.
This is the very inward attitude that has held back the development of the GAA.
You also miss the point entirely about the counter-productive exercise that is afoot here.
At least the Wobbler can identify that any perceived educational value is lost anyway when mistakes in the language (betraying the tokenism of the exercise) are jumping off the pages.

How about trying the Down GAA office?? ???

dundrumite

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on June 03, 2009, 05:09:42 PM
Down "POWERADE" Minor Football Championship Result's
"A" Championship

"B" Championship

What is it with this nonesense of trying to publish championship fixtures and results in Irish? Apart from the incorrect spelling of many club names it denies information to those who have no Irish (that is most of us).
Thus the attempt fails to promote our games and also fails to promote the language, and is at a stroke contrary to two objectives of the GAA.
I've lost count of the many times some GAA neighbours from Armagh have asked me about senior championship games in Down they want to attend but couldn't find the fixtures in the paper.
By all means have the dual language information in match programmes but this is silly silly meaningless counter-productive stuff.

A central aim of the GAA is to promote Irish language and it's culture through the playing of our games. Now if the county board is putting people off going to the games because they fixtures are printed as Gaeilge, well then it's the supporter who needs to have a look at themselves, not the county board!!

If you don't like the fact that the fixtures and results are printed in Irish, well then go and buy yourself a DownGAA diary and do the translation for yourself!!

An Cloch Scoilte, your post is the epitome of narrow-mindedness and you fail to appreciate that there are those who may derive pleasure from attending games who wouldn't even know where to get a Down GAA diary.
You also miss the point entirely about the counter-productive exercise that is afoot here.
At least the Wobbler can identify that any perceived educational value is lost anyway when mistakes in the language (betraying the tokenism of the exercise) are jumping off the pages.

Any specific reason why championship fixtures appear in Irish and league in English???

Leo

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on June 03, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
Have to agree with An Cloch Scoilte re Leos post - Leo, your just an idiot who hasnt the intelligence to learn a bit of Irish - there only 50 odd clubs in Down - it's a poor reflection on you if you cant work out what their names are in Irish when they're written down in front of you, even though there may be the odd spelling mistake (as can happen in englsih - sorry Leo you probably couldnt work that one out so I'll try again - english).

Even those of limited intelligence (like me) are entitled to attend games without having to learn Irish.
Others of superior intelligence (like you) are entitled to your opinion without being called an idiot.

There are  plenty of idiots like myself who would have diffciulty with Rinn Mac Ghiolla Rua, Caislean Ruairi, Ceathru Aoidh Dhuibh, Cill Breachtain and others.
I suppose it's no surprise that the evangelical wing of the GAA would happily exclude us from our national games becaause of the limitations of our intellect and/or education.
Fierce tame altogether

Joe Umbrella (hey)

"A" Championship

"B" Championship

Cén fáth?:

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: dundrumite on June 03, 2009, 05:32:46 PM
"A" Championship

"B" Championship

Any specific reason why championship fixtures appear in Irish and league in English???

Níl a fhios agam

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: Leo on June 03, 2009, 06:01:20 PM
Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on June 03, 2009, 12:23:47 PM
Have to agree with An Cloch Scoilte re Leos post - Leo, your just an idiot who hasnt the intelligence to learn a bit of Irish - there only 50 odd clubs in Down - it's a poor reflection on you if you cant work out what their names are in Irish when they're written down in front of you, even though there may be the odd spelling mistake (as can happen in englsih - sorry Leo you probably couldnt work that one out so I'll try again - english).

Even those of limited intelligence (like me) are entitled to attend games without having to learn Irish.
Others of superior intelligence (like you) are entitled to your opinion without being called an idiot.

There are  plenty of idiots like myself who would have diffciulty with Rinn Mac Ghiolla Rua, Caislean Ruairi, Ceathru Aoidh Dhuibh, Cill Breachtain and others.
I suppose it's no surprise that the evangelical wing of the GAA would happily exclude us from our national games becaause of the limitations of our intellect and/or education.

Bí ciúin

Tá tinneas cinn orm

DaddyLongLegs

I suppose it's no surprise that the evangelical wing of the GAA would happily exclude us from our national games becaause of the limitations of our intellect and/or education.[/quote]

Leo, I doubt very much if the fixtures are published in Irish so that attendance of supporters is limited to those capable of recognising the respective Clubs! And I'm not aware that those who decide to publish the fixtures in Irish are part of an evangelical wing of the GAA - I think you're taking this a little too far.
But if you tried just a teeny weeny little bit, do you not think that when they are published next time, you might just remember them (especially the ones you are interested in). I tried googling the really difficult ones you mentioned in your post and in the very first hit for each got the english translation. Could you try that? And then try writing down the name of the Club in english with its Irish equivalent alongside it? You could then try learning these off by heart or keep a note of them in your wallet or hip pocket so that you can refer to them when you are having difficulty.
There are some of us who appreciate and wish to retain the Irish language within GAA structures (though unfortunately in a limited form in many areas) and this aspiration shouldnt be denied because you refuse to do a bit of homework to help you understand the various participants in Championship fixtures .

down6061689194

simply if you care enough to want to go to a match of no relevance to your club (assuming you know your clubs irish name!) you should google it. All clubs in this day and age have websites. Gradually you pick them all up. Thus the GAA has succeded in broadening the knowledge of language. Which is one of the origianal aims of the association.

Shortso79

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Shortso79 on June 04, 2009, 09:48:30 PM
Saval beat Clonduff tonight

Any word of final score? Clonduff are struggling badly.

umpire