Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

down6061689194

"Think rostrevors game against drumaness in the B championship  was called off tonight - whether that down to drumaness not being able to field or something else i dont know."

Highly likely

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: Leo on June 03, 2009, 08:38:15 AM
Quote from: Lecale2 on June 02, 2009, 10:39:53 PM
Down “POWERADE” Minor Football Championship Result’s
“A” Championship
Rinn Mhic Giolla Rua   1-09   V   Droichead Mhaigh Eo   1-07
Ceathru Aodh Dhuibh   2-14   V   Ard Ghlais   0-05
Noamh Eoin Bosco   2-07   V   Seomrogai an Iuir   0-20
Boireann   4-11   V   An Riocht   0-02
Cill Chua   1-23   V   Ath Bhriain   1-11
Bredach   1-07   V   Cluain Diamh   0-11
Noamh Mhuire   2-08   V   An Ghleann   0-08

“B” Championship

Caislean an Mhuillin   3-19   V   Eanach Cluana   2-09
Caislean Ruairi   W/O   V   Droim an Easa   D/F
Cill Breachtain   D/F   V   Noamh Eoin   W/O
Cill Dara   W/O   V   Noamh Pol    D/F
Noamh Seosamh   2-13   V   Noamh Colmans   2-10

What is it with this nonesense of trying to publish championship fixtures and results in Irish? Apart from the incorrect spelling of many club names it denies information to those who have no Irish (that is most of us).
Thus the attempt fails to promote our games and also fails to promote the language, and is at a stroke contrary to two objectives of the GAA.
I've lost count of the many times some GAA neighbours from Armagh have asked me about senior championship games in Down they want to attend but couldn't find the fixtures in the paper.
By all means have the dual language information in match programmes but this is silly silly meaningless counter-productive stuff.

Leo, you have such a narrow minded point of view towards the Irish language!!

A central aim of the GAA is to promote Irish language and it's culture through the playing of our games. Now if the county board is putting people off going to the games because they fixtures are printed as Gaeilge, well then it's the supporter who needs to have a look at themselves, not the county board!!

If you don't like the fact that the fixtures and results are printed in Irish, well then go and buy yourself a DownGAA diary and do the translation for yourself!!

thewobbler

I think Leo makes a valid point.

Even my pigeon Irish can spot spelling mistakes all over that list. So the educational value of the exercise is lost.

lfdown2

Noamh Colmans

just got lazy at the end me thinks

Leo

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on June 03, 2009, 09:53:31 AM
Down "POWERADE" Minor Football Championship Result's
"A" Championship

"B" Championship

What is it with this nonesense of trying to publish championship fixtures and results in Irish? Apart from the incorrect spelling of many club names it denies information to those who have no Irish (that is most of us).
Thus the attempt fails to promote our games and also fails to promote the language, and is at a stroke contrary to two objectives of the GAA.
I've lost count of the many times some GAA neighbours from Armagh have asked me about senior championship games in Down they want to attend but couldn't find the fixtures in the paper.
By all means have the dual language information in match programmes but this is silly silly meaningless counter-productive stuff.

Leo, you have such a narrow minded point of view towards the Irish language!!

A central aim of the GAA is to promote Irish language and it's culture through the playing of our games. Now if the county board is putting people off going to the games because they fixtures are printed as Gaeilge, well then it's the supporter who needs to have a look at themselves, not the county board!!

If you don't like the fact that the fixtures and results are printed in Irish, well then go and buy yourself a DownGAA diary and do the translation for yourself!!

An Cloch Scoilte, your post is the epitome of narrow-mindedness and you fail to appreciate that there are those who may derive pleasure from attending games who wouldn't even know where to get a Down GAA diary.
You would exclude such people - not pure enough for you.
This is the very inward attitude that has held back the development of the GAA.
You also miss the point entirely about the counter-productive exercise that is afoot here.
At least the Wobbler can identify that any perceived educational value is lost anyway when mistakes in the language (betraying the tokenism of the exercise) are jumping off the pages.
Fierce tame altogether

Lecale2

QuoteCill Dara   W/O   V   Noamh Pol    D/F

I'm not surprised St Paul's didn't field.

How could they expect minors to travel to Kildare for a mid week match in the middle of the exams!!

Maiden1

Down "POWERADE" Minor Football Championship Result's
"A" Championship

"B" Championship

If your friend from Armagh is looking to go to a senior championship game they quite likely want to see Mayobridge (Droichead Mhaigh Eo), Burren (Boireann), Kilcoo (Cill Chua), Bryansford (Ath Bhriain), Loughinisland (Loch an Oilean) .. it's not exactly rocket science working out the translations.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

bredaghgael86

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 03, 2009, 11:55:12 AM
QuoteCill Dara   W/O   V   Noamh Pol    D/F

I'm not surprised St Paul's didn't field.

How could they expect minors to travel to Kildare for a mid week match in the middle of the exams!!

Haha, nice. ;D

DaddyLongLegs

Have to agree with An Cloch Scoilte re Leos post - Leo, your just an idiot who hasnt the intelligence to learn a bit of Irish - there only 50 odd clubs in Down - it's a poor reflection on you if you cant work out what their names are in Irish when they're written down in front of you, even though there may be the odd spelling mistake (as can happen in englsih - sorry Leo you probably couldnt work that one out so I'll try again - english).

An Cloch Scoilte - I see the St Marys team beat Glenn yesterday evening. If I remember correctly some of the regular posters didnt know who St Marys were ::) and some tube (T. O'Hare, I think) thought it was a handy draw for Glenn!!. ::) Wonder how handy Glenn feel about it this morning?  :-\They'll be away home with their tails between their legs to lick their wounds..... :) :) :)

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 02, 2009, 10:09:14 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on June 02, 2009, 09:44:45 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 02, 2009, 09:35:39 PM
Kilcoo 1-23 Bryansford 1-11. Pure class.

Thats some result. The Ford have about four Down Minors. Looks like Kilcoo and Burren are the favourites for the A now.

Yeah Kilcoo gave the total team performance tonight. Rumour has it that two players where called into Down minor panel after game. Ballyholland have a decent minor side this year too.

I wouldnt be like that Down Minor management team t ocall in players midway through the season :P
Sure at the start of the year, they left out Kein McClorey, and recalled him, bet they were glad they did now! after saturday! :)

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Your right Maidin1, the translations are not that hard like! Just look at the name and try and say it, its not that hard to figure out, even for the slowest of gaels! I like to see the names written in Irish!

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

lfdown2

T O Hare

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 03, 2009, 01:06:44 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on June 03, 2009, 12:56:53 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on May 14, 2009, 01:33:43 PM
Handy game for Glenn ;D

My post was sarcastic!!!!

i dont think it was....very condescending

You would need to know me to understand!!!!! ;)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

naka

guys in juvenile football what is the date for eligibility is it july or january