Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NedFlanders

Well, he was a great Minor footballer, so i guess all we need to do is getting him back to minor form, but i think he's nearly there already, just needs a boost, no doubt playing the way he did for UUJ will help, but a recall to the county panel could do him even more good. But we need to get big ambrose and big Dan back to Midfield, and maybe try colgan at CHB in the league at somepoint? Theres quite a few possibility's that down can try, but are they willing to take the risks?

The GAA

anyone i've talked to says colgan was poor on wednesday?

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: The GAA on February 06, 2009, 01:04:18 PM

anyone i've talked to says colgan was poor on wednesday?

Well whoever wou where talking to dosent have a good knowledge of football. Colgan stuck to Vernon like glue and was very assured on the ball. gave great leadership as he usually does. be realistic guys, he is in the top 30 in Down without shadow of a doubt. What other county would drop an all ireland minor skipper, an ulster under 21 winning captain and a Sigerson winner in 2008 who also played in provincial championship who is 21 and has potential to improve. Only Down with our mediocre management. Its shocking and players who are average at club level and couldnt get on the under 21 team last year are selected.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 05, 2009, 12:53:29 PM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 04, 2009, 10:36:06 PM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 10:32:51 PM
I see on the Clonduff website that Aidan Carr was the Down captain last Sunday V Tipperary

Nothing like keeping it in the family.   ;)

Ridiculous comment of the Year nominee

Please explain.

If you had any sense I wouldn't need to explain this to you. And, since you don't have any sense I'll explain to you.

In this day and age it is highly unlikely that a player could get away with playing two seasons of intercounty football just because his dad is manager of that team.

Aidan Carr is there on merit. If he wasn't up to standard Id say the rest of the Senior panel would have had something to say about it. They havent. Simple.

Down through the years manager's who play their own sons have always been accused of nepotism. PJ O'Hare and Mick O'Dwyer are two in case.

You have the attitude of a begrudger and a dinosaur. Ross Carr is an intelligent man and I would say that he wouldnt risk his managerial reputation for making his son captain of the team just because it is his son.

PS- When we are talking about captains. This is from the Hoganstand.

Dan Gordon has been given the nod to captain Down's senior footballers for a second successive season.

Ross Carr named the Loughlinisland star as his captain on Wednesday and went on to tip Big Dan to become one of the top midfielders in Ireland.

Carr confirmed: "Dan was nominated as captain last year and will continue. It was a straightforward choice.

"When this present management team took over the job, we sat down and spoke to Dan. At that stage he was 22 or 23 and I told him that I thought he had a massive opportunity to become one of the best midfielders in the country."

The Mourne County captain is currently on the mend from a broken foot, with his return to action "in the hands of the medics and physios".

Yes Aidan Carr is there on merit. but no way should he be captain before at least 8 more experienced players. For a player to get one run out under paddy orourke to then in two years captain the side as well as hitting frees is definatly favourtism. he is a good player but he has a great role with down due to who he is. if some other players where favoured as well they would look as good.

thewobbler

When Aidan Carr starts missing frees, you can give off at him being allowed to hit them. When Aidan Carr starts going missing in Croke Park, you can give off at selecting him as captain.

One thing Aidan Carr proved last year is that he is a big game player, one with bottle, who gives it all through to the end. Maybe you fellas would rather give the honour of captaincy to a longstanding underachiever - but in that case the flaw is in your thinking, not Ross Carr's.

Regarding Colgan, not having him on the panel saves the management a headache. Of course he is one of the best midfielders in Down football. But all evidence suggests he's a step below Rogers and Gordon, for now anyway. Would Colgan be willing and useful in a substitute's/backup role? I don't know. Maybe he has the personality to carry it off, but not many men who've spent their whole lives as automatic team captains adapt easily to being a bit part player. 

NedFlanders

I think he would be able to cope with that, but atm Rodgers and Gordan are injured, whys colgan not startin now, or even on thepanel? Its a fukin joke, thats what our county set-up is?

western exile

Quote from: NedFlanders on February 06, 2009, 05:56:06 PM
I think he would be able to cope with that, but atm Rodgers and Gordan are injured, whys colgan not startin now, or even on thepanel?
Now if you had stopped there, you would have opened up a good discussion and many posters would have contributed, but....
Its a fukin joke, thats what our county set-up is?
with that comment you cannot be taken seriously on this board, unfortunately

Mourne Rover

Colgan could not have been on Down's McKenna panel as he was in the UUJ squad instead. He might be better staying there until the Sigerson is over, but it would be surprising if he is not back with Down as soon as the Jordanstown season is over. He is still unproven at county level as he has only ever started one competitive match, against Armagh in the USC last summer. I thought he did reasonably well that day, after struggling in the early stages, but Ross was obviously not fully convinced and kept him on the bench for the qualifiers. He is not huge for a midfielder, but he is physically strong and definitely has leadership qualities. He can also take a score, and his long fist passes can often surprise opponents. Colgan should definitely be in ahead of Lynch before the league ends, and then it is really up to him.

However, we still only have a handful of experienced and reliable inter-county players, and Carr is most certainly one of them. He was excellent in almost every game last season, and is also one of the best free takers around. Sniping at him because his father is the manager is pretty childish.

the milkman

Quote from: western exile on February 06, 2009, 08:25:33 PM
I think he would be able to cope with that, but atm Rodgers and Gordan are injured, whys colgan not startin now, or even on thepanel?
Now if you had stopped there, you would have opened up a good discussion and many posters would have contributed, but....
Its a fukin joke, thats what our county set-up is?
with that comment you cannot be taken seriously on this board, unfortunately

Well put.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: islandboy on February 05, 2009, 01:32:56 PM
just to mention jamie - it is his choice if he wants to play for queens or not. he is training with the county so that is plenty of football for him. there are cetain down players who would not play for queens because armagh players were involved. this website i more like the hogan stand everyday.

James colgen may have played well yesterday but in my opinion he is too heavy and slow to play for the county.

delighted to hear dan is captain- heard he will be back sooner than they thought.

doubt this is true but if so what a w**ker!why would you not play football because your teamates are from a neighouring/rival county??  maybe he realised he wouldnt start and made this excuse?

charlie stubbs

Quote from: NedFlanders on February 06, 2009, 10:37:53 AM
No, youve got me all rong TORGAEL, im just saying that from what im hearing he deserves another chance, a run out in the league, and thats was ment with no dis-respect to joe or jack. And i do not have intense hatred of Ross Carr, i have huge respect for the fella, but you gotta say what you feel, thats all!

another in depth analysis from ned ::)

dundrumite

Quote from: thewobbler on February 06, 2009, 05:27:58 PM
When Aidan Carr starts missing frees, you can give off at him being allowed to hit them. When Aidan Carr starts going missing in Croke Park, you can give off at selecting him as captain.

One thing Aidan Carr proved last year is that he is a big game player, one with bottle, who gives it all through to the end. Maybe you fellas would rather give the honour of captaincy to a longstanding underachiever - but in that case the flaw is in your thinking, not Ross Carr's.

Regarding Colgan, not having him on the panel saves the management a headache. Of course he is one of the best midfielders in Down football. But all evidence suggests he's a step below Rogers and Gordon, for now anyway. Would Colgan be willing and useful in a substitute's/backup role? I don't know. Maybe he has the personality to carry it off, but not many men who've spent their whole lives as automatic team captains adapt easily to being a bit part player. 

Well put.

amallon

Highlights of Tipp v Down from Thurles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0j67qz0xpU

Well done to Ballyholland tonight in the South Down Scór semi finals the went through in four or five competitions as winners and another couple as runner up.  The look to have assembled a crack quiz team too!
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

5 Sams

From what I hear Aidan the bridge quiz team was only in second gear last night.... :)

Should be a good final!!
The Aristocrat Years

DownFanatic

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 10, 2009, 01:54:24 PM
2009 Managers (Updated)

Division 1

Mayobridge - Paul Carroll
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Castlewellan - Liam Hardy
Loughinisland - Gerard Colgan
Burren - Damien Barton