Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

absolutely SB. Though obviously noone would bother

DownFanatic

2009 Managers (Updated)

Division 1

Mayobridge - Mattie McGleenan + Pascal Cananvan (Bridge poster to confirm?)
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Castlewellan - Liam Hardy
Loughinisland - Gary Mason/Gerard Colgan
Burren - Damien Barton
Warrenpoint -
Rostrevor - John Rafferty
Longstone - Frank Dawson
Liatroim - Jarlath Austin
Clonduff -
Saval - Declan Morgan

Division 2

An Riocht - Stephen Poacher
Glasdrumman - Hugh Trainor
Carryduff - PJ O'Hare
Annaclone - Steven McVeigh
Banbridge - Tony Wilson
Shamrocks -
Ballymartin - Johnny McComiskey
Atticall -
Darragh Cross - Eamon Burns
Downpatrick - Kyran Smyth
Kilclief -
Ballyholland - Terry McGivern/Glen Elmore

Division 3

St Johns - Gerard McAnulty/Seamus Braniff/Donard King
Ardglass -
Bredagh - Kevin Blaney/Jody Gormley
Drumaness - Bill Geoghegan
Tullylish - Tom Morgan
Aghaderg -
St Pauls - Frankie Wilson
Glenn -
Saul - Jim Prior
Teconnaught - Brendan Mason
Dundrum - Paul Shields
Drumgath - Mickey Linden

Division 4

Aughlisnafin - Philip McGrattan/Gerard McCartan
Bosco - Paddy McEvoy
Dromara -
Mitchels -
St Michaels -
Ballykinlar -
Bright -

Superstar

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 10, 2009, 01:35:15 PM
The RTE Radio 1 programme  Drivetime Sport with Des Cahill last night had a panel to predict the winners of the main soccer, rugby and GAA trophies for 2009. When it came to the Sam Maguire, one of the pundits, the RTE presenter Con Murphy, said he was going for a 66/1 outsider. Jimmy Magee said it must be the Isle of Man, but Con insisted he was making a serious prediction.

To stunned silence from his colleagues, he named Down as his tip for this year's title. He pointed out that they had beaten Tyrone last summer, although he admitted that the wheels came off against Wexford, but he believed he could see them coming through as dark horses.

Do southern pundits know anything about the GAA ? We will have to start hoping that Con does.

I think he musta had a few pints before going on to the show, sam is beyond our current team in my honest opinion, but was reading in the gaelic life yesterday, that Down are an absolutley massive price for ulster, ill be having a wee punt on them for it.
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 09, 2009, 02:58:25 PM
3 way tie,

liatroim
kilcoo
town  ???

So what happens? Will there be a playoff between Liatroim, Kilcoo & Castlewellan, meaning at least 2 more games? Long wait for An Riocht who had South Down sewn up long before Xmas.

Open yer eyes Man

I thought Mattie Mc Gleenan was still with the Moy - definately read it on the Tyrone section.

Square Ball

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on January 10, 2009, 04:35:36 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on January 09, 2009, 02:58:25 PM
3 way tie,

liatroim
kilcoo
town  ???

So what happens? Will there be a playoff between Liatroim, Kilcoo & Castlewellan, meaning at least 2 more games? Long wait for An Riocht who had South Down sewn up long before Xmas.

more matches for go, heres the fixtures

East Down Under 20 Competition
Date  Thursday  8th  January  Time  8.00pm    Venue St. Patrick.s Park Newcastle   Referee
St. Mary's   2.14   v   1.07   Loughinisland   

Date  Thursday  8th  January  Time  8.00pm   Venue  RGU Downpatrick   Referee
Kilcoo   0.12   v   4.05   Castlewellan   

Please Note
St. Mary's, Kilcoo and Castlewellan have finished up with 6 points each, and as there were no point's difference used to determine the top two, a play off is necessary. The winners on Sunday 11th and Thursday 15th will compete in the A Championship semi-finals scheduled for Sunday 18th January. Point's difference will be used to determine the seeding for the A Championship Semi-Finals against Carryduff and Dun Ghláis. The team, which does not win on Thursday 15th January, will compete in the B Championship.

The following is the schedule of games. 

East Down Under 20 Competition Play Off "A" Championship
Date  Sunday  11th  January  Time  11.30am    Venue   Teconnaught   Referee
St. Mary's      v      Kilcoo   G  Tumelty

East Down Under 20 Competition Semi-Finals B Championship
Date Sunday 11th  January Time  11.30pm       Venue  Liatroim        Referee
Bredagh      v      Loughinisland   A Grant

East Down Under 20 Competition Play Off "A" Championship
Date  Thursday 15th  January  Time  8.00pm    Venue   Downpatrick   Referee
St. Mary's or Kilcoo      v      Castlewellan   

East Down Under 20 Competition Semi- Finals "A" Championship
Date  Sunday  18th  January  Time  2.00pm    Venue   Teconnaught   Referee
St. Mary's or Kilcoo or Castlewellan      v      Dun Ghláis   

Date  Sunday  18th  January  Time  2.00pm    Venue   Saul         Referee
St. Mary's or Kilcoo or Castlewellan      v      Carryduff   

East Down Under 20 Competition Semi-Finals B Championship
Date Sunday 18th  January Time  2.00pm      Venue   Downpatrick         Referee
St. Mary's or Kilcoo or Castlewellan      v      Bryansford   

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

umpire

Warrenpoint manager for 2009

I am nearly sure it is Emmett McGivern and Pete Doran.
And they wiil delighted with 12 points from Burren, Mayobridge and Rostrevor.

Still have not heard who manager of Mayobridge yet.

5 Sams

Any word of a team for tomorrow? I suppose its only McKenna Cup and they dont have to name one but it would be interesting to see who Ross puts out?

I'd say there'll be a big crowd in the Marshes tomorrow.
The Aristocrat Years

Overthebar!

anyword on how the u21 trials went today? i wonder is there the potential for ulster to be won again?

DaUmpire

Quote from: Overthebar! on January 11, 2009, 02:15:20 AM
anyword on how the u21 trials went today? i wonder is there the potential for ulster to be won again?
As far as I know overthebar, trials were held yday, apparently standard wasnt great although the conditions were tough with a strong wind blowing. Def think we have a chance at ulster this year, this team at minor level went out in the first round in 2006 but since then a lot of the players have matured and have benefited from playing football at a higher level either with their club or university.

Mid Down Gael

Kilcoo beat St. Marys by 8 points this morning in the first play off putting them into the East Down under 20 simi final. A great team display with Barry Kane, Sean and Paul Devlin outstanding. St. Marys now face Castlewellan for remaining simi final place.

Mourne Rover

Tyrone faded badly in the second half today but it was still a very impressive Down performance. The defence looked solid, collectively and individually, which is not something we have been able to say too often over recent years. Every one of them did well, including the subs, and Carr, after he came on at HT, put in a commanding display in what was probably his first ever appearance at full back. Garvey and Rafferty were also excellent, while Davey, although he is far from the finished article, got up to kick two fine points in the first half.

The man of the match, by some distance, was Ireland at midfield. He took some great catches, used the ball well and was always there to take a pass in all areas of the field. Ireland was fantastic for St Louis in the MacRory final of 2005, but seemed to lose his confidence completely afterwards and has made little impact with Down u21s, QUB and Bryansford since then. It is early days this season, but on today's form he could be a contender this summer.

All our forwards worked hard today, and Michael Magee looks a real prospect at corner forward. He is a big strong guy who is not afraid to shoot, and his left foot gave us a decent balance.

It's only the McKenna Cup, but we are well placed for at least one extra game in the semis, which should help for the start of the league, and there is clearly something there to build on - particularly at the back.

Dubh driocht

MR my thoughts are on the main page but I forgot about Aidan Carr's second half performance.
Now, a small insight IMO as to why Tyrone are AL champs and we are better than we were under POR.
At HT the Tyrone subs worked at drills continuously - no pointless kicking in and out.
Now while Down didn't do this, when they came out Ross went to the far end and got Benny to do a few attacks on Aidan Carr , who was coming on for the excellent Mc Kernan. Aidan and Benny had 4 or 5 good battles to get up to match pace and it showed. Aidan played like an All Star and Benny was Benny . Game over. Paddy would have been still thumping the table.Ross and DJ have put together a squad of brainy footballers- add in ability and balls and we should get out of Division 3 and possibly reach an Ulster Final at least.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

I would agree with you Rover although I must mention that John Boyle had a great game - he took Sean Cavanagh to the cleaners and linked well with the rest of the attack. Big Jackie also put in a solid hour, I dont think he will ever play much football in the summer for Down but at this time of the year in tough conditions he holds his own . One thing that struck me about Down today was thier obvious physical development. In recent years Down have lacked a wee bit of strength, but that is no longer the case. The likes of Hughes, Carr, Ireland and others have filled out . It looks like the squad have been lifting the weights for sure.

Its always great to beat Tyrone though and I dont think they will want to draw Down in any competition for a while but lets just hope the boys can do the business in the league and achieve what they failed to do last year.

lfdown2

this is the year!! ;D

just a note on the county's website, think it going well so far and definately finding much more news on it than before!!