Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Quote from: lfdown2 on February 04, 2009, 09:58:37 PM
fuk but this thread has got shite nothing but 'spice boys' and rumour clubs jaysus lads enough already.....

Here Here
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Open yer eyes Man

Taken website from Down

Down GAA is planning a Youth Convention for Saturday 21st of February to take place in the Burrendale Hotel Newcastle. The Convention will commence with registration at 9.30 am and will finish at 3.30 pm with a break for Lunch at 12.30 pm.

A Number of guest speakers have been invited and ALL clubs are asked to nominate 4 delegates to attend, 2 Male and 2 Female all of whom must be under 30.  If you are interested or know someone who may be interested inform your club secretary and get him/her to fill in the various registration forms which they have now received.

Closing date for registration is Saturday 14th of February, which will allow the County to forward further details to all of the delegates.

This will be a great opportunity for young people to debate and contribute to the future direction of the GAA in Down

Jez, our young people are very old in Down.  Surely it should be under 20 and not under 30? 

gaahead2008

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 04, 2009, 10:36:06 PM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 10:32:51 PM
I see on the Clonduff website that Aidan Carr was the Down captain last Sunday V Tipperary

Nothing like keeping it in the family.   ;)

Ridiculous comment of the Year nominee

Please explain.

carr led the team out onto the field on sunday, took the toss but didnt lead from the front. done alright against a poor side.

it seems he has been given captains tag; surely theres longer serving players who would deserve that role before him. afterall he has only become a starter since his father took over 2seasons ago.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 10:46:11 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 04, 2009, 10:36:06 PM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 10:32:51 PM
I see on the Clonduff website that Aidan Carr was the Down captain last Sunday V Tipperary

Nothing like keeping it in the family.   ;)

Ridiculous comment of the Year nominee

Please explain.

If you had any sense I wouldn't need to explain this to you. And, since you don't have any sense I'll explain to you.

In this day and age it is highly unlikely that a player could get away with playing two seasons of intercounty football just because his dad is manager of that team.

Aidan Carr is there on merit. If he wasn't up to standard Id say the rest of the Senior panel would have had something to say about it. They havent. Simple.

Down through the years manager's who play their own sons have always been accused of nepotism. PJ O'Hare and Mick O'Dwyer are two in case.

You have the attitude of a begrudger and a dinosaur. Ross Carr is an intelligent man and I would say that he wouldnt risk his managerial reputation for making his son captain of the team just because it is his son.

PS- When we are talking about captains. This is from the Hoganstand.

Dan Gordon has been given the nod to captain Down's senior footballers for a second successive season.

Ross Carr named the Loughlinisland star as his captain on Wednesday and went on to tip Big Dan to become one of the top midfielders in Ireland.

Carr confirmed: "Dan was nominated as captain last year and will continue. It was a straightforward choice.

"When this present management team took over the job, we sat down and spoke to Dan. At that stage he was 22 or 23 and I told him that I thought he had a massive opportunity to become one of the best midfielders in the country."

The Mourne County captain is currently on the mend from a broken foot, with his return to action "in the hands of the medics and physios".

islandboy

just to mention jamie - it is his choice if he wants to play for queens or not. he is training with the county so that is plenty of football for him. there are cetain down players who would not play for queens because armagh players were involved. this website i more like the hogan stand everyday.

James colgen may have played well yesterday but in my opinion he is too heavy and slow to play for the county.

delighted to hear dan is captain- heard he will be back sooner than they thought.

NedFlanders

Just shows you havemt seen him play recently "islandboy", lost all the weight he had on his leges and the weight he had on him, hes leaner and meaner and is just what down need, but i hope he says no to the county, theyve treated him and John Clarke like shit in the past, and i just hope there concentrating on club football instead

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: NedFlanders on February 05, 2009, 05:18:43 PM
Just shows you havemt seen him play recently "islandboy", lost all the weight he had on his leges and the weight he had on him, hes leaner and meaner and is just what down need, but i hope he says no to the county, theyve treated him and John Clarke like shit in the past, and i just hope there concentrating on club football instead

Agree from watching Colgan yesterday that he is in great shape. Down need James Colgan not average club players like ORielly etc.. Sharkey and Ben provide much more threat to oposing defences for loughinisland. they go direct to goal not like jamie who runs to the sidelines. If he cant get a look in with that queens team he is not county senior standard. after all he couldnt get a place on Down under 21 first 15 last year. we want our best players.

DownFanatic

If your club's name begins with A or B your Senior team fixtures for the year ahead are up on the Down website. C to Z will just have to wait.

Pangurban

Neiyher O  Reilly or Colgan will merit serious consideration come Summer and the men come out to play. Perhaps in the future though i have my doubts. John Clarke however should be back on the panel A.S.A.P.

Square Ball

Quote from: sabhallphadraig on February 03, 2009, 06:34:08 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on February 03, 2009, 04:48:29 PM
Guys

I got a few PMs about fixtures, they are from the down site, go to your club, select fixtures and away you go, God I hope they are right. As atated there are no dates just game weeks

Thanks SB - I hadn't noticed that but can now see that there's fixtures there for your club and probably others but not for Saul for example - and interestingly we haven't been added in the Bredagh fixtures either. Is there a chance we've been automatically relegated or promoted and no-one has told us yet  :o     I haven't seen any fixtures lists emailed out yet so would guess that the Down website admin is practising the setup for the year - if not, someone please let us in on the secret - gently  :)

I was looking at Aghadergs fixtures on the Down site and they are playing Saul in round 7 and 11, thank god I am not a fixtures secretary
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

gorm agus bui

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 05, 2009, 06:15:22 PM
If your club's name begins with A or B your Senior team fixtures for the year ahead are up on the Down website. C to Z will just have to wait.
So do teams beginning with with Aor B not play teams whose names begin with C-Z  ;)

NedFlanders

No harm to yous, but when bit comes to bit, who do you want on your Panel in the summer, Jack Lynch, or James Colgan, and dont be silly, you know it would be james colgan, he's put the work in, in the gym, on the feild and now deserves his chance of a county return, but Carke should say no to the county, cause carr's too munipulatitve to play under, to two faced to get on with (in gaa terms anyway), he dosent have the balls to ask players back that he has discarded, he gets his players to do it for him, pathetic!

TORGAEL

No harm to you Ned, but are you asking us a question, or are you telling us what our opinion should be ? Are you seriously trying to tell me that Jack Lynch or Joe Ireland dont put the "work in "?  You seem to have an intense hatred of Ross Carr. Has he wronged you in some way in the past ?

NedFlanders

No, youve got me all rong TORGAEL, im just saying that from what im hearing he deserves another chance, a run out in the league, and thats was ment with no dis-respect to joe or jack. And i do not have intense hatred of Ross Carr, i have huge respect for the fella, but you gotta say what you feel, thats all!

TORGAEL

No problem Ned. I dont think anyone will criticize you for voicing your honest opinion here. I'd actually agree with you re Colgan, getting a run out in the league. The only thing is that i dont know if he is the solution to our problems at midfield, but the only way to find out is to try him there.