Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

too long ref

I think Ross should look for another number 2. think dj is not the man, his actions along the line on thursday night were disgracefull, the days of shouting and screaming at players ie (bully type tatics) are gone, todays players like the arm round the shoulder, telling them what is going wrong and how to put it right.

NedFlanders

Finally, someone who has a bita sense (Mid Down Geal), about time someone had the same veiws i had!

wobbller

Quote from: too long ref on January 24, 2009, 08:34:14 PM
I think Ross should look for another number 2. think dj is not the man, his actions along the line on thursday night were disgracefull, the days of shouting and screaming at players ie (bully type tatics) are gone, todays players like the arm round the shoulder, telling them what is going wrong and how to put it right.

Catch a grip of yourself--with a first post like that.
Yes that approach is great.So if we start doing this hugging and all  that,we may win an Ulster Championship or more this year after 15 years in the wilderness.

Mourne Rover

After we win our section in the McKenna Cup and lose in the semi (in January), someone thinks we should sack half of our management team. Moving back to planet Earth, Mid Down Gael has at least given us a selection to talk about. It has a few problems though, particularly placing Colgan at full back where he has made clear he does not want to play and his lack of pace would be exploited. Leaving Cole, our only consistent defender over the last five years, on the bench makes even less sense, as does totally omitting Turley, who did reasonably well at full back in the summer and is due to return to the panel soon.

Clarke fairly obviously has to return, but the difficulty about including Walsh, Poland, Laverty, Doran and McGovern is that they have all been tried over recent seasons and have made very little impact. If Walsh could recapture the form of his early 20s, he would be an automatic choice. McGovern is a fine free taker but has so far been able to contribute little from play. Poland, Laverty and Doran are talented but very light. They could not win the ball when they played previously at intercounty level, and that is unlikely to change.Parr was an outstanding underage player, but I have not seen enough of him in recent years to make a call.

thewobbler

Mourne Rover, a couple of points.  I'd say Colgan is every bit as quick as Peter Turley, so don't use that against him as full-back.

But, it would seem that neither Colgan or Mickey Walsh is going to feature again under Ross Carr, so we would all be better off not suggesting them for positions. It's a similar story for Mark Doran, who continually got messed around in corner-back, and won't be playing again under the current management.

As for Laverty, Poland, and McGovern, well they're probably as useful as a number of players in contention - but they won't be in contention, not this year anyway. I'd have Laverty ahead of Fegan, Kearney or Sexton myself. He offers a better scoring threat and more pace. But he isn't that much better that it's worth getting in a frenzy over.

So, for all of the above, I suggest we just move on.

As for Sean Parr, let's wait until his club decides what position to play him in before throwing him into county football. He's a very useful player, but Rostrevor are fond of using him as a stopgap wherever needed. With that sort of history, he'd end up a corner-back for Down, found out badly, and ruined as a county player forever.

Realistically, Down's team isn't going to change that much from last year. The question is whether that team can learn to play more as a unit than they did last year, whether they can learn to adapt when teams pose them conundrums. Based on the 70 minutes I saw tonight, Conor Maginn should be drafted in at 11 for the upcoming league campaign. There is a certain common sense and simplicity to his game that has been missing from anyone in a number 11 shirt for Down in recent years. As the creative lead and the central pivot, the centre half-forward ultimately determines the variation of his team. If he always forces the ball in long, others will follow. If he mixes it up, his teammates will follow. This is why I suggested Doyle for 11 earlier this week, as he has a wee bit of everything in his game. It's a very early assessment I know, but it looks like Maginn has a better footballing brain.

Lastly, I don't want to make this personal in any way, for he is extremely committed, and sensible enough on the field to play to his strengths rather than leave his weaknesses out in the open. But anyone who watches club football in Down knows there are least a dozen better options in Down for midfield than Jackie Lynch. This is why he will always end up as a scapegoat when we lose, because although other players are underperforming for their potential, he is playing beyond his level. Finding a replacement of equal or better skill level wouldn't be difficult. Replacing Coulter or Gordon, not so. This is unfortunate for Lynch, but that's life.

DownFanatic

Ive said it numerous times before on the board that Conor Maginn is more than good enough to be on the county panel. To me, Maginn is a unique talent. He is an excellent ball carrier and to see him in full flight whilst in possession is a great sight. There are so many facets to his game, He is excellent defensively and he has an unbeleivable knack of getting back to an attacking position after carrying out defensive duties.

He is also an excellent forager and winner of break ball. One of his big strengths is emerging from a deep position in possession and setting up attacks. As said previous, he has a very varied passing range. He's very comfortable with the short fist passing game and equally adept at diagonal balls and the like.

Knowing him personally, he is one of those players that holds no fear of any occasion. He has had great experience of playing at centre half forward with his club and Queens and he would be a breath of fresh air. In terms of weaknesses, he wouldn't generally score a lot but his assist play would more than make up this.

Definitely worth a shout.

Downcamog

Calm down. Maginn is on the panel!!!!!

Pangurban

Totally agree with those who wish to see DJ removed from management team, his actions are dragging the Co.into disrepute, will cost us a lot in fines come Summer, and sets a terrible to our youth. Besides all that it is difficult too see what he is contributing, in the light of our woeful defensive record.

Mourne Rover

Maginn looked a fine prospect in last year's u21s and in the McKenna Cup, and, after the Sigerson, he should certainly feature in the league. Size is not everything, but whether he is physically strong enough for a central position is open to question.

Wobbler, I'm not sure if Doran was 'messed about' at corner back.He won an AI minor in that position, but my recollection is that he usually played at wing back at senior level. He has great pace, and carries the ball well out of defence, but he lost out because, like many of our better talents, he on the small size for senior county football.

Laverty is smaller and lighter again, which is a great pity as he has an exceptional football brain. I remember in particular an AI u21 semi final against Dublin at Navan in 05 when he ran the show, but it has not happened for him at senior level. I do not recall him scoring even a single point in a senior jersey, while Sexton, Fegan and Kearney have displayed that they can hit the target fairly regularly.

However, as Wobbler correctly says, these are marginal matters. If we had an established side, which was strong down the middle. we might be able to throw in at least one lighter faster player. We are not in that position, so we need to concentrate on building a team which can cope with the demands of the league and then assess our championship squad.

dundrumite

Quote from: bridgegael on January 24, 2009, 04:45:37 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on January 24, 2009, 10:15:23 AM
Quote from: bridgegael on January 23, 2009, 06:17:53 PM
Down peaked far to early this year!!!!!!

Bit of a rash statemen after a mere four games. Theres a lot of football to be played yet. last year a lot of yous got excited after winning the Mc Kenna cup which led to the Pulp Fiction line not to be sucking each others c@@ks just yet and it proved accuracte enough. At the same time after a couple of poor performances I wouldn't go kicking each other n the bo@@@cks just yet either.
Who is proving what NF?

:D can't believe someone thought i was serious.  it was meant to be a joke :D

Obviously our senses of humour differ  ;) Well at least leave some sort of indication it was a joke, as it just came accross as a stuiped post 

bridgegael

Quote from: dundrumite on January 25, 2009, 12:41:43 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on January 24, 2009, 04:45:37 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on January 24, 2009, 10:15:23 AM
Quote from: bridgegael on January 23, 2009, 06:17:53 PM
Down peaked far to early this year!!!!!!

Bit of a rash statemen after a mere four games. Theres a lot of football to be played yet. last year a lot of yous got excited after winning the Mc Kenna cup which led to the Pulp Fiction line not to be sucking each others c@@ks just yet and it proved accuracte enough. At the same time after a couple of poor performances I wouldn't go kicking each other n the bo@@@cks just yet either.
Who is proving what NF?

:D can't believe someone thought i was serious.  it was meant to be a joke :D

Obviously our senses of humour differ  ;) Well at least leave some sort of indication it was a joke, as it just came accross as a stuiped post 

well i didn't think it was needed to leave an indication that it was a joke,  peaking in the second week of january,  think about it man.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

passedit

Seems very sensible to me. Probably the only way to get number reductions past the self interest of clubs. Kudos to the CB, we know you're lurking so well done.
Don't Panic

DaddyLongLegs

Was at the ED U20 final today in Saul which was very well attended. Good competitive game which Kilcoo lost by a point. St Marys (Liatroim/Dromara) were lucky to come away with their win, living off a few notable displays from their older players. Kilcoo were by far the better team on the day and were denied a victory by some dubious refereing decisions. But fair dues to St Marys, they have won the ED U20s - cant see them having ANY hope at all against Burren who have been waiting for them now for 5 weeks.

gorm agus bui

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on January 25, 2009, 07:14:26 PM
Was at the ED U20 final today in Saul which was very well attended. Good competitive game which Kilcoo lost by a point. St Marys (Liatroim/Dromara) were lucky to come away with their win, living off a few notable displays from their older players. Kilcoo were by far the better team on the day and were denied a victory by some dubious refereing decisions. But fair dues to St Marys, they have won the ED U20s - cant see them having ANY hope at all against Burren who have been waiting for them now for 5 weeks.
My God those grapes are a bit sour!!!
we were glad to host the game but the same could have been said of last week's game that RGU/Ardglass were the better team for most of the game but ended up losing due to some dodgy decisions and wayward shooting. Thats the way the cookie crumbles and best of luck to St Mary's who were written off 2/3 weks ago

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid