Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

Down peaked far to early this year!!!!!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

charlie stubbs

Quote from: NedFlanders on January 23, 2009, 05:13:06 PM
Wasn't at the game lastnight, but from what Ive been told, they were lucky not to have been beaten by more, we had no midfield last night, Lynch was running around like a headless chicken, i know Colgan suffered a slight dip in from for county last season but surely he's worthy of a recall, if not just for the efforts he put in at the tail end of last season for his own club An Riocht, he was immense. Also, Kevin Mckernan is not a full back, maybe for the national league, try Louis Sloan in there, and maybe even, big colgan. Full-foward line needs a bit of work, Coulter is really showing his worth without really having support i there, him and john Clarke did well in the championship last season, so why not try then again and see where it goes from there? M.Walsh is surely worthy of a wee gamble during the league, and mccomilskey will be back soon too. We need to play the best players in where they are going to play well, thats what you've got to do if your gonna win anything at this level! And playing two me in there and booting the ball in from there own halfback line isint going to work, just need common sense!

your hardly from an riocht ned.. colgan has been living off his reputation from minor simply hasnt produced at county level or even sigerson level.  yourvery quick to criticise big jack for someone who wasnt at the game...

mournerambler

Quote from: NedFlanders on January 23, 2009, 05:13:06 PM
Wasn't at the game lastnight, but from what Ive been told, they were lucky not to have been beaten by more, we had no midfield last night, Lynch was running around like a headless chicken, i know Colgan suffered a slight dip in from for county last season but surely he's worthy of a recall, if not just for the efforts he put in at the tail end of last season for his own club An Riocht, he was immense. Also, Kevin Mckernan is not a full back, maybe for the national league, try Louis Sloan in there, and maybe even, big colgan. Full-foward line needs a bit of work, Coulter is really showing his worth without really having support i there, him and john Clarke did well in the championship last season, so why not try then again and see where it goes from there? M.Walsh is surely worthy of a wee gamble during the league, and mccomilskey will be back soon too. We need to play the best players in where they are going to play well, thats what you've got to do if your gonna win anything at this level! And playing two me in there and booting the ball in from there own halfback line isint going to work, just need common sense!
How the hell can you make a comment like that about how Jack Lynch played when you wern't at the game, I just wish that a few more of the players on the field last night had put in the same effort as Jack did last night, he may not be the most skilful player on show but at least he'll let his opponent know he's there & not go hiding when we need men on the field instead of boy's with nice hair do's.
Just before you ask I am not from Drumgath but I am an admirer of any player who shows true guts & determination & has a bit of pride in wearing the Red & Black!

TORGAEL

Would certainly have to echo the sentiments of mournerambler and charlie stubbs, in that i cant understand how anyone can make the comments that have been made against jacky lynch when that person didnt even attend the game. Words escape me, but arsehole comes to mind, ned !

guevara

Totally agree Lynch is being made a scapegoat for other players shortcomings!!
He isn't the best on the ball but he seems to know that. If there is a 5 yard pass on he gives it but too many times last night he wasn't given any options.
Ireland went AWOL. For guy a lot of people on this board were talking up as next big thing he done nothing, was happy to kick his usual early point then dissapeared.
We are a one trick pony & everyone in the country has copped on. Get it lump it in on top of Benny & pray for a goal!!
Why give high ball when he was devastating against Tyrone with good low ball in space that allowed him to turn & take on the man?
To many of our "seasoned performers" simply didn't show up last night. McKernan, Carr, Sexton, Kearney all brutal!

Also think Cathal Magee proved last night he's definitely not good enough. Dropped ball constantly, fumbled passes & missed several chances.
Would Ronan Murtagh not be an option at 14?? Maybe Wobbler could correct me but is that not were he is best at club level?
Carr seems to be grooming him at 11 but I honestly don't think he's the answer there.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

mournerambler

Did anybody else hear DJ putting an over critical (in DJ's view) Down supporter in his box last night?

Mourne Rover

Leo, I did not suggest Fegan was the answer to all our problems, just that he was our best player last night - which admittedly was not saying much. We need wing forwards who can get back to help a defence which is plainly still not coping. Fegan had the pace and fitness to do that, and he has obviously worked very hard on his conditioning and his all-round game since last summer, when he was poor. If the rest of our forwards improve as much as he has, we will be in a much better position overall. I doubt if he will start in the championship, but he deserves a run in the league. It is all about competition for places.

While I expect Lynch to feature in the league as well, he was off the pace last night and, for all his huge commitment, it is doubtful if he has the speed of thought for championship football.

It is likely that we read a little too much into the Tyrone win and we are also probably being overcritical of last night's performance. We were fitter than Tyrone and Queen's were fitter than us. When things level out in the league, we can make better judgments. However, it is hard to believe that we can do without Clarke. Getting him back, and bringing in the injured players when they are ready, has to be the priority.

gaahead2008

Quote from: mournerambler on January 23, 2009, 08:52:03 PM
Did anybody else hear DJ putting an over critical (in DJ's view) Down supporter in his box last night?

typical dj! he's a lunatic, with the personality of a p*g!!
his exhibition last night, reminded me of that day in crossmaglen where he made a go at an official- just because he didnt agree with a decision that was given. come to think of it, he did the same thing in louth before that.... lead by example hey!

the fan got rather excited and shouted in frustration, like most of us at any game. but dj hasnt the bottle for those type of situations. he spent the second half at the far side of the field, he'd have made more of addition by jumping the wire and heading home!!

howards performance last night was excellent, im looking forward to his return to county colours.
big jackie, everyone would like to see him do well but he just hasnt got it at county level.
the ball supply to the forward line was poor- beni is expected to work miracles.
vernon dictated the game, he's fierce strong and until we find players that can dictate a game like that were going nowhere!!

5 Sams

Quote from: guevara on January 23, 2009, 08:43:36 PM
Totally agree Lynch is being made a scapegoat for other players shortcomings!!
He isn't the best on the ball but he seems to know that. If there is a 5 yard pass on he gives it but too many times last night he wasn't given any options.
Ireland went AWOL. For guy a lot of people on this board were talking up as next big thing he done nothing, was happy to kick his usual early point then dissapeared.
We are a one trick pony & everyone in the country has copped on. Get it lump it in on top of Benny & pray for a goal!!
Why give high ball when he was devastating against Tyrone with good low ball in space that allowed him to turn & take on the man?
To many of our "seasoned performers" simply didn't show up last night. McKernan, Carr, Sexton, Kearney all brutal!

Also think Cathal Magee proved last night he's definitely not good enough. Dropped ball constantly, fumbled passes & missed several chances.
Would Ronan Murtagh not be an option at 14?? Maybe Wobbler could correct me but is that not were he is best at club level?
Carr seems to be grooming him at 11 but I honestly don't think he's the answer there.

As our friend from Kilclief said earlier in this thread Murtagh is probably the most devastating forward in Down club football....however without making excuses he hasnt found a settled role in the county senior team...he has been played at full forward, corner forward, half forward, half back.......he has been effective in all these roles at certain stages...remember Breffni Park when he got us out of jail....he needs a run....pref at corner forward... I would say he would feed off Benny perfectly....
The Aristocrat Years

dundrumite

Quote from: bridgegael on January 23, 2009, 06:17:53 PM

Bit of a rash statemen after a mere four games. Theres a lot of football to be played yet. last year a lot of yous got excited after winning the Mc Kenna cup which led to the Pulp Fiction line not to be sucking each others c@@ks just yet and it proved accuracte enough. At the same time after a couple of poor performances I wouldn't go kicking each other n the bo@@@cks just yet either.
Who is proving what NF?

andunabu

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on January 22, 2009, 10:45:05 PM
Mc Veigh couldn't lace Neil Collins boots.  No comparison whatsoever.

Sorry but you're having a laugh!  Mickey was not lucky enough to play on all ireland winning teams.  Collins was lucky in that sense.  He was an excellent  shot stopper (ask Charlie redmond, terrible penalty though) but he had a terrible kick out.  There were other keepers IMHO who were better in that era.  Mickey was only a young 'un but a very good 'un then, Neil Patterson was excellent as was Eamon Connolly, Paddy Kielty and Declan Murdock.  Collins just got the break.

Mid Down Gael

Thought Down where awful on thur against Queens. Its time our two childish and biased managers wised up. DJ acting an ejit again. he is an embarrasment. Their favourtism on panel selection is not for the good of Down football. Jackie is heavily critisised but its not his fault, the management could have changed him of vernon before taking him off. The lad gives his all but is simply not an inter county midfielder. Aidan Carr (Captain on Thur in only his third inter county season) should have been replaced. he was roasted by conor maginn, a Down under 21 player. McKernan also not the answer at full back even though a very good player. Fegan and Kearney only get on the ball when defenders stand off them, we need wing half forwards to put their head in for break balls not hide on the wings. Sexton worked hard as usual but as i said before no end product. Missed 2 sitters and Magee took the wrong options for 2 more goal chances. its time for John Clarke, Michael Walsh, Mark Poland, Conor Laverty, Mark Doran, James McGovern, James Colgan and Sean Parr to get called up. its footballers we need, not big players with limited skill and brains. Benny McArdle and Howard played well for Queens along with Maginn.

Mid Down Gael

My Championship team: 1, B McVeigh 2 L Howard 3 J Colgan 4 D Rafferty 5 A Carr 6 L Doyle 7 P Murphy 8 D Gordan 9 A Rodgers, 10 J Clarke 11 M Walsh 12 B Coulter 13 D Hughes 14 R Murtagh 15 P McComiskey.
16 M McAllister 17 M Cole 18 C Garvey 19 C Murney 20 E McCartan 21 K McKernan 22 D Rooney 23 R Sexton 24 M Poland 25 M Doran 26 C Laverty 27 J McGovern 28 P Fitzpatrick 29 B McArdle 30 S Parr.

bridgegael

Quote from: dundrumite on January 24, 2009, 10:15:23 AM
Quote from: bridgegael on January 23, 2009, 06:17:53 PM

Bit of a rash statemen after a mere four games. Theres a lot of football to be played yet. last year a lot of yous got excited after winning the Mc Kenna cup which led to the Pulp Fiction line not to be sucking each others c@@ks just yet and it proved accuracte enough. At the same time after a couple of poor performances I wouldn't go kicking each other n the bo@@@cks just yet either.
Who is proving what NF?

:D can't believe someone thought i was serious.  it was meant to be a joke :D
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"