Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on January 22, 2009, 10:10:56 PM

Is he any good?  At the minute Down have an abundance of decent keepers but no one seems to stand out.  If I were to honest, with respect to Mickey Mc Veigh, I don't think anyone has come close to Neil Collins in recent times.
I think you are a bit harsh there.  Neil Collins and Mickey McVeigh  were two fine keepers

Open yer eyes Man

Mc Veigh couldn't lace Neil Collins boots.  No comparison whatsoever.

Mourne Rover

Down have been fortunate with keepers over the years, and we could even allow Pat Jennings to leave Shamrocks and play foreign games. Collins was one of the best, but anyone who dismisses McVeigh, who played for Down for over 12 seasons, as well as representing his province and his country, knows very little about football.

Anyway, it was disappointing fare from us in Newry tonight and much of the optimism of the Tyrone match has faded pretty quickly. We were fairly ordinary, and Queen's were able to find space and time with considerable ease.

At the back, McKernan and Carr did not look comfortable down the middle. We probably still need a commanding figure in there, but it is hard to say where he will be found. The rest of the defence were OK but nothing special.

Jackie had his moments at midfield but got caught out of position on occasions and was the first to be replaced. While Ireland worked hard, he was not as strong or as fast as the very impressive Vernon.

Fegan was our best on the night by a distance, which is not something many would have predicted after his efforts last summer - especially against Wexford. However, he seems to have bulked up, he gets up and down the field tirelessly and he can take a score.
Sexton buzzes around, but it is difficult to see him as a CHF, and he missed an open goal by trying to volley rather than punch into an empty net at a crucial time. Kearney worked hard when he was switched to midfield but did not really hurt the opposition.

Benny produced a couple of fantastic passes without being close to his best, Hughes was good in the first half but faded seriously after the break and Cathal Magee scored his third goal of the competition but missed an easier one and should have been taken off earlier.

The only real bonus of the night for Down was Fitzpatrick, who came off the bench to kick two fine points and shaved the post with a third effort. Michael Magee hit a decent free when he came on but did not do much else, while Murtagh looked in reasonable shape during a brief appearance.

We can at least be satisfied that Howard did a decent job on Benny in the first half and an even better one on Hughes in the second, but we still have a long way to go.

I think it may have been the first match we have lost under lights at the Marshes. We did get beaten against Meath in the qualifiers of 2007 but my memory is that it was a bright summer's evening. Onwards and upwards.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 22, 2009, 11:40:27 PM
Down have been fortunate with keepers over the years, and we could even allow Pat Jennings to leave Shamrocks and play foreign games. Collins was one of the best, but anyone who dismisses McVeigh, who played for Down for over 12 seasons, as well as representing his province and his country, knows very little about football.

Anyway, it was disappointing fare from us in Newry tonight and much of the optimism of the Tyrone match has faded pretty quickly. We were fairly ordinary, and Queen's were able to find space and time with considerable ease.

At the back, McKernan and Carr did not look comfortable down the middle. We probably still need a commanding figure in there, but it is hard to say where he will be found. The rest of the defence were OK but nothing special.

Jackie had his moments at midfield but got caught out of position on occasions and was the first to be replaced. While Ireland worked hard, he was not as strong or as fast as the very impressive Vernon.

Fegan was our best on the night by a distance, which is not something many would have predicted after his efforts last summer - especially against Wexford. However, he seems to have bulked up, he gets up and down the field tirelessly and he can take a score.
Sexton buzzes around, but it is difficult to see him as a CHF, and he missed an open goal by trying to volley rather than punch into an empty net at a crucial time. Kearney worked hard when he was switched to midfield but did not really hurt the opposition.

Benny produced a couple of fantastic passes without being close to his best, Hughes was good in the first half but faded seriously after the break and Cathal Magee scored his third goal of the competition but missed an easier one and should have been taken off earlier.

The only real bonus of the night for Down was Fitzpatrick, who came off the bench to kick two fine points and shaved the post with a third effort. Michael Magee hit a decent free when he came on but did not do much else, while Murtagh looked in reasonable shape during a brief appearance.

We can at least be satisfied that Howard did a decent job on Benny in the first half and an even better one on Hughes in the second, but we still have a long way to go.

I think it may have been the first match we have lost under lights at the Marshes. We did get beaten against Meath in the qualifiers of 2007 but my memory is that it was a bright summer's evening. Onwards and upwards.

Right - thanks.

So I'm not entitled to my view and according to you, I know nothing about football.

Mc Veigh was a favouite of Mc Grath's, committed and a non-drinker, which helped his career for Down and Ireland.  He had a great booming kickout and was a very good shot stopper but throw him a high ball and he shit himself.  Collins was the real deal, had the temperament for the big games which brought out the best in him.  Outstanding

I have nothing against Mc Veigh but feel he never commanded the defence the way Collins, or even Slim for that matter, did.  We still have not replaced Collins.

Leo

Keepers:
Slim was the best we have had since McKay - just came into the team at the wrong time.
Alder is miles best by far in the county in recent years but somehow doesn't fit with the management.

QUB: There must have been a different John Fegan on the pitch from what I saw tonight (and in all recent matches). If he was from Clonallon instead of Clonduff he wouldn't even be handing out the jersies. Get real.
Fierce tame altogether

Mourne Rover

Wobbler, I have not seen Somers play but I believe he is well regarded. As a guy who has only ever been involved in club football in London, he has certainly impressed Pete McGrath to get into the u21 squad.  I think he may have another two years at that level as he is apparently a fresher at Jordanstown. If he really is going to join Bredagh, he will be worth watching.

OYEM, Collins was a fine keeper who played behind the likes of Higgins, Deegan, Magill, Kane and Breen, who all won All Stars, and O'Rourke and Burns, who were just as good. McVeigh had to cope with some pretty dreadful Down defences (not even a single All Star nomination in his time) and was still good enough to represent Ireland. You are entitled to your opinion, but very few Down supporters who have suffered through the last 14 seasons, and know who saved us from some far worse beatings, will agree with you.

Leo, I agree with you about big Slim, and I have previously suggested on this board that Alder should be given at least a chance. He also puts over his 45s, which we could not do last night. However, Fegan was everywhere against QUB, offering himself for passes and taking on the opposition. I don't know about the championship, but I will be amazed if he is not a regular at the start of the league.

Leo

Mourne,
your posts are always worth reading but I cannot get this Feagn issue at all. He looked like a lumberjack in a ballet competition, slow beyond belief, nice little jink to the left and right back into trouble again. And the delivery is so slow, Royal Mail would employ him. If he was from , say Longstone, which might be close to your heart, he wouldnt be in the panel, even for the McKenna Cup.
We are looking for DOWN COUNTY FOOTBALLERS here.
No.
Fierce tame altogether

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 23, 2009, 12:24:03 AM
Wobbler, I have not seen Somers play but I believe he is well regarded. As a guy who has only ever been involved in club football in London, he has certainly impressed Pete McGrath to get into the u21 squad.  I think he may have another two years at that level as he is apparently a fresher at Jordanstown. If he really is going to join Bredagh, he will be worth watching.

OYEM, Collins was a fine keeper who played behind the likes of Higgins, Deegan, Magill, Kane and Breen, who all won All Stars, and O'Rourke and Burns, who were just as good. McVeigh had to cope with some pretty dreadful Down defences (not even a single All Star nomination in his time) and was still good enough to represent Ireland. You are entitled to your opinion, but very few Down supporters who have suffered through the last 14 seasons, and know who saved us from some far worse beatings, will agree with you.

Leo, I agree with you about big Slim, and I have previously suggested on this board that Alder should be given at least a chance. He also puts over his 45s, which we could not do last night. However, Fegan was everywhere against QUB, offering himself for passes and taking on the opposition. I don't know about the championship, but I will be amazed if he is not a regular at the start of the league.

Yes, Alder is another good keeper but to suggest that one of his attributes is 'putting over 50's' really wouldn't be one of my priorities, for a keeper anyway. Aidan Carr is an excellent free taker and I would prefer if the goalkeeper looked after the immediate area in front of him rather than getting carried away.

Leo

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on January 23, 2009, 12:34:51 AM

Yes, Alder is another good keeper but to suggest that one of his attributes is 'putting over 50's' really wouldn't be one of my priorities, for a keeper anyway. Aidan Carr is an excellent free taker and I would prefer if the goalkeeper looked after the immediate area in front of him rather than getting carried away.

Agree 100%.
The fact is Alder is huge, built like a sh**house and commands the area like no other keepr in the county. My point.
Fierce tame altogether

Brick Tamlin

i doubt Alder has the temperment of a top class intercounty Goalkeeper. He is prone to odd rush of blood to the head and can be a bit of a loose canon too. Not for me anyway.

Brendie Mc Veigh has to be No1 and should be for a good few years to come with Mickey Mc Allister right behind him.

anyone care to take a stab at the final panel that will play NFL then, how many have to be cut etc?

Joe Umbrella (hey)

I don't think the goal keeping position is of particular concern at present, but with the McKenna cup finishing of last night how do you all rate our chances for the league?

Doyle,Gordan,Ambrose,McComiskey

The injury list and lack of form from some players certainly mean promtion from Div3 is gonna be as tough as last years attempt. A lot of the players looked stale and sluggish last night although this could be put down to a heavy training regime at present along with the fact that Queens are in great shape at present.

Midfield was poor last night but played well enough in the other matches to justify a starting spot against Tipp unless of course Colgan is available.
The defence is still a sore point but young Garvey looks a good addition, whilst Davey is maybe a wee bit inexperienced and attack minded for my liking. The lack of height in the full back line is still a concern although Cole, Howard and Rafferty are all good man markers, I think McKernan is a super talent but not the answer at full back.
As for the half forwards it looks like Hughes, Sexton and Fegan will get the nod here, although its my personal opinion that none of them bar (maybe) Hughes should be on the team come the championship.
At full forward Benny is looking sharp but still needs some help up there, Cathal Magee whether you put it down to him being young or inexperienced certainly is'nt the answer. He seems to panic more often than not when in pocession or even before. I would like to see Murtagh and Benny in the full forward line together - both are natural full forwards that play with bursts of speed and power and can score. Michael Magee is raw but should get a go because he is a decent left footed free taker.

The above is bearing in mind that Doyle,Turley,Ambrose,McComiskey,Murphy,Gordan won't make the start of the league, whilst Walsh,Clarke and Dan McCartan are all ommitted for it appears none footballing reasons.

Maiden1

It must be getting near time Down stopped changing personnel and demanding the players train 8 nights a week and get dropped from the panel if they can't make 1 training session.  That is just a joke.  No one can tell me that Down do not have as least as good forwards as Penrose, McCullough, Tommy McGuigan playing for Tyrone or that Benny couldn't be as effective as Sean Cavanagh in full forward.  They need to play smarter not necessarily assume some new player will solve all the problems.

Against Wexford last year they played 2 up front and hoofed the ball up to them every so often, Wexford just put an extra defender in front that mopped every ball up and built another attack.  They need to get there tactics right as well as the personell.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

NedFlanders

Wasn't at the game lastnight, but from what Ive been told, they were lucky not to have been beaten by more, we had no midfield last night, Lynch was running around like a headless chicken, i know Colgan suffered a slight dip in from for county last season but surely he's worthy of a recall, if not just for the efforts he put in at the tail end of last season for his own club An Riocht, he was immense. Also, Kevin Mckernan is not a full back, maybe for the national league, try Louis Sloan in there, and maybe even, big colgan. Full-foward line needs a bit of work, Coulter is really showing his worth without really having support i there, him and john Clarke did well in the championship last season, so why not try then again and see where it goes from there? M.Walsh is surely worthy of a wee gamble during the league, and mccomilskey will be back soon too. We need to play the best players in where they are going to play well, thats what you've got to do if your gonna win anything at this level! And playing two me in there and booting the ball in from there own halfback line isint going to work, just need common sense!

Pangurban

A truly awful performance last night, which for me displayed a complete lack of managerial nous. You can have the best players in the country, but if you dont know how to deploy or get the best from them, you are not going to succeed. Last night it was clear that we were over training at this stage of this season, there was no coherent strategy,and an abominable lack of competence in basic Ball handling skills. Even if our whole squad were fit and available, i doubt that Ross has an idea what his best team would be, and the trial and error method will continue  ad infinitum. Until we get a settled team which largely picks itself, our barren spell will continue. I would be pessimistic about our prospects of emerging from Div 3. this season, and for a County of our pedigree that is a disgrace

thewobbler

Maiden1 - I couldn't agree more.