Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: D4S on August 19, 2008, 12:17:22 PM
2/7 Kilcoo  7/1   An Riocht  5/2
5/6 Kilcoo -5  8/1  An Riocht +5  5/6

4/6 Ballymartin  7/1   Downpatrick  5/4

I think AN Riocht good value at 5/2 this will be a tight game. Can't see them being beaten by more than 4 or 5 points so the handicap betting is good for anyone that doesn't want to risk backing An RIocht at 5/2.  I fancy Kilcoo by a couple of points.

The handicap betting here is a bit askew. Normally a 5/2 shot would maybe get a three point head start, 4 if you are being very generous. +5 is very good value at 5/6, could throw that in with a bet tonight easily...

D4S

Quote from: centre 3/4s on August 12, 2008, 09:11:11 PM
My treble tip for the championship
Rostrevor to beat L'island
Kilcoo to beat an riocht
Bredagh to beat Dundrum

Cert!!! ;D

D'Oh!  :D
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

dundrumite

Kilcoo beat An Riocht by 20 odd points. Conor Laverty was immense. Kingdom were poor, second best all over pitch. Downpatrick beat Ballymartin by point.

Our Nail Loney

So much for an riocht plus five then! Just as well I didnt get near a bookies!

DownFanatic

Down SFC 1st Round
Kilcoo 3-15  An Riocht 0-03

Game played at our pitch in Dundrum. Very big crowd turned up. Kilcoo led 0-06 to 0-03 at halftime. The Kingdom failed to score in the 2nd half while Kilcoo ran riot with 3-09 in the 2nd period.
Conor Laverty was a cut above. He scored a penalty and an excellent goal in quick succession midway through the 2nd half. All of their play went through Anthony Devlin who rarely gave the ball away. Phelim McGreevy and Paul Greenan were also superb. The latter won a host of ball around the centre.
An Riocht looked way out of their depth. Colgan was anonymous at midfield while the defence struggled for pace. John Clarke seemed to be their only target up front but he was well sniffed out by Aidan Brannigan.
Overall, I suppose its hard to judge Kilcoo's credentials in relation to this game. However, they were very clinical and focused to the final whistle.

Lecale2

In the JHC Ballela beat Warrenpoint by 1 in Newry.

cloneman

upthehoops

Downpatrick 2-8 Ballymartin 2-7.
Ballymartin must be sick of the sight of RGU as this was their third successive defeat in Championship football over the past 4 years to the County Town
A good game where the lead changed hands several times and only  two points in the last 3 mins from Brannigan and McKenna securing victory for Downpatrick .

leftbacksubbench

i must say i was shocked with some of the results during this championship week!
i suppose it would be fair to say that kilcoo were favourites for the kingdom clash but not by a 21point margin!with a few county seniors namely the goalkeeper and full forward and an all ireland winning midfielder in the middle, they failed to lord the middle and won very few kickouts in the second half, they failed to suppy good ball to clarke which was their downfall in the second half considering they were only 3points down at the interval
big shocks came from liatoirm drawing, fair play to them, i think they feel they should have won the game, but i did not think they had the talent to pull a draw or even a match winning performance out of the bag
it was strange to see a local derby such as the ford V the town finish with such a low scoreline, i was looking forward to a classic, but it was far from it, a poor game all in all nothing worth mentioning
another upset came in the IFC, with bredagh progressing past Dundrum. having watched both teams this season and last, they have taken steps in the opposite direction
dundrum looked a shawdow of their former selfs whereas in bredagh there is a new sense of belief and desire that they can progress threw the championship and the league, bredagh cut out almost every attack that came near them, dundrum seemed nervous or maybe they just expected an easy win! they seemed to have alot of young players playing as well!
what has happened to dundrum this year? i thought they would finish safely in mid table in division 2 after winning division 3 in style last season, but they havent produced the same form, mccumiskey is also a big miss which wouldnt help such a small club but they played most of last campaign without him and played excellently
what has happened to the kingdom?they are the domestic champions of Down! and look at their track record this year?on the brink of relegation, early exit from the championship and some of their players seem to have given up, not the same team as last year from what i can see, same players, different attitude which is the key to success

mournerambler

Quote from: leftbacksubbench on August 19, 2008, 10:35:52 PM
i must say i was shocked with some of the results during this championship week!
i suppose it would be fair to say that kilcoo were favourites for the kingdom clash but not by a 21point margin!with a few county seniors namely the goalkeeper and full forward and an all ireland winning midfielder in the middle, they failed to lord the middle and won very few kickouts in the second half, they failed to suppy good ball to clarke which was their downfall in the second half considering they were only 3points down at the interval
big shocks came from liatoirm drawing, fair play to them, i think they feel they should have won the game, but i did not think they had the talent to pull a draw or even a match winning performance out of the bag
it was strange to see a local derby such as the ford V the town finish with such a low scoreline, i was looking forward to a classic, but it was far from it, a poor game all in all nothing worth mentioning
another upset came in the IFC, with bredagh progressing past Dundrum. having watched both teams this season and last, they have taken steps in the opposite direction
dundrum looked a shawdow of their former selfs whereas in bredagh there is a new sense of belief and desire that they can progress threw the championship and the league, bredagh cut out almost every attack that came near them, dundrum seemed nervous or maybe they just expected an easy win! they seemed to have alot of young players playing as well!
what has happened to dundrum this year? i thought they would finish safely in mid table in division 2 after winning division 3 in style last season, but they havent produced the same form, mccumiskey is also a big miss which wouldnt help such a small club but they played most of last campaign without him and played excellently
what has happened to the kingdom?they are the domestic champions of Down! and look at their track record this year?on the brink of relegation, early exit from the championship and some of their players seem to have given up, not the same team as last year from what i can see, same players, different attitude which is the key to success
[/b]
Just wondering if you have a vested interest in Dundrum 'leftbacksubbench'? you seem to be keeping a close eye on them!

Dulaney

Tonight's result makes me wonder how did that An Riocht team manage to win the league last year.....does Marty Clarke have that much influence?? Some might say they caught Mayobridge on the hop for the bridge were just after two intensive c/ship games within a week and probably were on the beer for a better part of the week leading into the laegue semi-final but i'd thought Kilcoo would be comfortable winners in the final...i got that one wrong anyway!!!
its been a awful season for the kingdom and although i hope they can mount a bit of a challenge to at least get into relegation play-off it looks like they will go straight down!! Tonights result emphasises Kilcoo's tendancy to fall down in the big games...they could hammer An Roicht 2nite but somehow lost the league final. i don't doubt kilcoo have quality (thay definately have some coming through from under-age in the next few years) but even after tonights result i'd still go for Burren in the 1/4 final, it's a bigger day and Burren will pose a far more difficult test. Well done to the Hoops, had been hoping Ballymartin might win that one but they weren't the get one over after last year
1/4 final predictions:
Mayobridge v Bryansford          Mayobridge
Kilcoo v Burren                      Burren
Loughinisland v Downpatrick    Loughinisland
Saval v liatroim/longstone         (fancy the stone in replay as long as they don't get anymore injuries) if stone come through i'd say
                                           they'll beat saval, if Liatroim come through im gona say Saval (go for the underdog on that one :))

leftbacksubbench

Quote from: mournerambler on August 19, 2008, 11:04:46 PM
[/b]
Just wondering if you have a vested interest in Dundrum 'leftbacksubbench'? you seem to be keeping a close eye on them!

ive made 2 posts on this website, its people like you who put me off websites like this, you can clearly see from my second post that it was a general comment on results and special concern for dundrum and the kingdom
in my first post i commented on the abscence of paul mccumiskey from dundrum and more notably the county, which was widely discussed, not just by myself!
get your facts right before you make rash comments in future MourneRambler  ;D

umpire

Predictions league
After Tues games

14   Downfanatic
13   Niall Quinn
12   Amallon
12   Bridgegael
12   General
12   Islandboy
12   Off the Laces
11   Centre3/4
11   D45
11   Dundrumite
11   TheWobbler
11   Square Ball
11   Umpire
10   Brick Tamlin
10   Minus15
10   NO1

Four games left

Wed evening
IFC; Drumgath v Carryduff
IFC; Banbridge v Warrenpoint
JFC; Glenn v St Michaels

Sat
SFC; Liatroim v Longstone

mournerambler

Quote from: leftbacksubbench on August 19, 2008, 11:12:26 PM
[/b]

ive made 2 posts on this website, its people like you who put me off websites like this, you can clearly see from my second post that it was a general comment on results and special concern for dundrum and the kingdom
in my first post i commented on the abscence of paul mccumiskey from dundrum and more notably the county, which was widely discussed, not just by myself!
Maybe you could explain what you mean by this as I only asked a simple question to which you seem to have an issue with?

leftbacksubbench

Quote from: mournerambler on August 19, 2008, 11:24:21 PM
Quote from: leftbacksubbench on August 19, 2008, 11:12:26 PM
[/b]

Maybe you could explain what you mean by this as I only asked a simple question to which you seem to have an issue with?
this all could have been avoided if you hadnt have made an immature comment,instead of posting a comment about GAA you have started a squablle on this GAA forum!
try reading the comment i posted carefully, its not very hard to understand
i think you migh be a kingdom man - if you are maybe you can shed some light on the performances of them this year?Dulaney shares my concern also over how they could have possibly won the league last year