Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristotle Flynn

Is the u21 final this Saturday in Casement Pk with the postponed NFL game v Limerick the next day in Newry?
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

5 Sams

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on April 03, 2008, 07:38:26 AM
Is the u21 final this Saturday in Casement Pk with the postponed NFL game v Limerick the next day in Newry?

Yes and No...Seniors are away to Leitrim on Sunday....Limerick at home on Sunday week.
The Aristocrat Years

mournerambler

The first round games are to be *starred games* now and if the Under 21's win the AI Semi is the following weekend causing more problems

Not sure where 'spirit' is getting his information from on this one, the first round of club league games is not in the book to be a *starred* game so i am not sure if this can now be the case.

downredblack

No chat about the Leitrim game , anyone going to it ?

western exile

I will be going.  But I am wondering if the Senior team will travel to Leitrim without any of the U21 members?  Or will they be on the bench with the starting team having no U21 ?   Has the starting team been announced yet?

downredblack

Doubt any of the 21's will start on Sunday . I wouldn't put any store in the team that is announced if any is at all . It's an old POR trick keep the opposition on their toes  ;)

Fíor Gael

Packie Downey has been called on to the U-21 panel.

western exile

So if they name the same senior team that were to face Limerick, minus the U21 and An Riocht players,  would it be something like this?

Down (possible) (SF v Leitrim): Alder; L Howard, G McArdle, M Cole; R Murtagh, L Doyle, P Turley; A Rodgers, D Rooney; J Fegan, R Sexton, D Hughes; J Mc Areavey, D Gordon, B Coulter.

bridgegael

i can't see these games being starred.  maybe they will play the games on the followin monday or tuesday??

FAO Spirit,   will your seconds have an alternitive venue for match on sunday?? don't think it goin to be in the 'bridge.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

behind the wire

brilliant performance by the u21's. looked a bit shaky in some areas of the field but all in all everyone worked hard and got the result they deserved. mccomiskey was excellent providing an outlet for the defence in the first half and ciaran brannigan always looked dangerous. connor garvey had an excellent game at half back and took an excellent goal. john caldwell made a big difference to the midfield and murney looked very solid at full back.

congratulations to the lads.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Mourne Rover

It was a fine performance by the u21s today, and it worth pointing out that it was a very well managed squad. I think this was the seventh time Pete McGrath has taken a Down side to an Ulster final (following the minors of 86 and 87, and the seniors of 91, 94, 96 and 99) and his fifth success overall. By any standards, this is a fantastic record. He is now looking for his his fifth all Ireland, and I would not rule it out at all.

The rest of the management team, Liam Murphy, Mickey Linden and Paddy Hardy, also played their part, as Down finished the game strongly and again made the right substitutions along the way. Packy Downey apparently did not attend the final trial, and was initially left out, but was brought back today on the management's terms and made a huge impact in the closing stages (particularly on the Derry full back in injury time).

The only concern I would have was the disastrous third quarter, when we started as though the game was already won and nearly through it away against what was obviously a talented Derry team.

Our 2005 minors were involved in a series of tight finishes in the Ulster championship and then won the three games in the AI series by large margins. We have since lost Marty Clarke to Australia and Peter Fitzpatrick to a long-term injury, so we cannot look beyond the AI semi, which I think is against the Leinster champions (Kildare/Wexford), but there is a spirit about this team will which take some stopping.

off the ground

RE: mourne rover
downey was rather ineffective when he came on, gave the ball away easily on one occasion and earned himself a booking for a clumsy challenge

Mourne Rover

The booking was in the final minute of injury time, and stopped a Derry attack. He passed for the Timmy Hanna pt and the Ryan Kelly goal in the space of five mins, so it was not a bad sub.

bridgegael

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 06, 2008, 12:17:34 AM
The booking was in the final minute of injury time, and stopped a Derry attack. He passed for the Timmy Hanna pt and the Ryan Kelly goal in the space of five mins, so it was not a bad sub.

think he got a point too.  overall a very good performance from a very good team.  first half showed how football should be played against a wind like that,  everyone working their socks off and looking the ball all the time.  two great goals set us up for what should have been a much easier second half, maybe the lads thought that too.  not a weak link on the team and they should be very hard to beat in the semi final.

well done lads.

bridgegael

how did st malachys get on yesterday??