Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

I thought that the game was one of the best and most enjoyable  have seen in a while.. it was fast, attacking and plenty of scores.. i was pleased with downs resilence.. our full was good again, and our whole defence tayed strong despite a lot of pressure.. we never won much at midfield and our half forwards were playing too deep most of the time.. maybe a talk from messers o'neill, mc carten and paddy mo would help because the three ladsare definately capabae of shooting, albeit their workrate wa very good... sexton always is looking for the ball and will never back down but clarke and big cathal were brilliant tonight.. their ball winning skills and shooting were excellent.  cathal magee has bags of potential.. he is tall,strong, knows were to be and can shoot.. he is just lacking in confidence.. he is a very shy , quiet lad andhopefull he will get better because he is the type of player that down need!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: 5iveTimes on January 22, 2008, 11:11:50 PM
. Cathal Magee was much improved tonight, that will keep Bridgelad happy and off my back.

5IVE times, i wasnt aiming that at you, there were alot of folks on sunday evening saying Magee was not good enough including a clubmate. I think he showed last night that he can be good enough, yes he wasn't involved in everything but did score three great points from play and set up the goal! As ToHare says he's a confidence player give him time and dont knock him yet!

As for the game McGovern and McArdle were good again especially McGovern who was marking Jason Reilly and made him look ordinary,
Doyle was brilliant again, such a calming influence int he backline and always available as an outlet! Dont think Darren OHanlon is cut out for county football! I'l just not mention the midfield! The six forwards were all very good, Fegan, Hughes and Sexton got through a lot of work and McKernan, Magee and clarke scored some fine classy points some from far out the field!

ROLL ON SAT!!!

Uladh

Quote from: passedit on January 22, 2008, 10:44:21 PM
Don't worry Arma's own WW Uladh will be along in a minute to put everyone back in their box.  :)

A man of your experience doesn't need to reminded of the harsh realities P!

spiritof91and94

Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2008, 09:40:48 PM
I really hope they don't make us trek all the f**king way over to Omagh.

You will be another one on the bandwagon then.....

kinghen

i think mcgovern has shown alot of proise in the mckenna cup, but i think it just goes to show that these players who are givena chance, show the hunger and desire that is needed! mcardle also looks like a good defender in the making!

DownFanatic

It is absolutely great that we have managed three wins in just over a week and at last some pride has been restored in the jersey. However, in my opinion the big plus lies in the fact that there are so many talented players to come in. The boys who are starting now wont want to give up their places easily which means that those who venture in will have to work harder to stake their claim. Thus obviously making the squad stronger as a whole. Something which has been lacking for a good while.
Also, strangely enough Damien Turley and Packie Downey are both members of the Down Senior team yet both arent on the U-21 panel. Infact looking at that panel nearly half of the 2005 Minor squad failed to make it.

passedit

Quote from: Uladh on January 23, 2008, 11:03:12 AM
Quote from: passedit on January 22, 2008, 10:44:21 PM
Don't worry Arma's own WW Uladh will be along in a minute to put everyone back in their box.  :)

A man of your experience doesn't need to reminded of the harsh realities P!

Indeed Uladh and it is the attitude of some of the more senior members of the current squad which as turned a natural optimist like me into a pessimist. However, I am also old  enough to remember how quickly things can change with an injection of new blood. If this mini revival does nothing else than jolt a few people out of their comfort zone then it's definitely a good thing.
Don't Panic

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Caitlin

Quote from: Cloc Mor on December 22, 2007, 09:52:57 PM

Secondly, Liam Doyle peaked when he was 18 years of age.  He has done nothing since.  He is totally overrated and to put him at CHB would be a major mistake.  Based on his performances in the red and black, he doesn't deserve a place on the team.  Surely if he was fit, and stayed of the sauce, he would be an addition to the team.  He has been a passenger and was picked because of his reputation and potential.  Not good enough

Cloc Mor ,a bit of baiting here - anything more to add to this astute observation ?

Pangurban

Having long insisted that this team plays better without Benny Coulter, i feel i am being vindicated, Benny is a good footballer, not a great one as some on here seems to think, who presence is detrimental to the team. His return will bring an end to the expressive, flowing football , with forwards willing to take on responsibility and go for their scores. Mark my words

bridgegael

your right pangurban coulter is the sole reason down have been so bad this past while!!!  catch a grip man!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Pangurban

I never said he was the sole reason, but his presence and influence was certainly a contributory factor

Pangurban

A sound,sensible suggestion Fivetimes, with the proviso that he would not automatically be guranteed his place on his return.

Pangurban

Probably, but his stand-in during your suggested rest and recuperation period, has to have some incentive to perform. Also the overall team performance will always outweigh Bennys individual performance.

western exile

Quote from: Pangurban on January 23, 2008, 10:23:09 PM
but his stand-in during your suggested rest and recuperation period, has to have some incentive to perform.

Are you not contradicting yourself?  What was the teams incentive to perform this past week?  Are you suggesting that they only performed because Benny has been told that he is not guaranteed a place on the team?

However, I agree with both of you that there has been an over reliance in recent years, and that has not been good for the team as a whole.

Would either of you consider Benny's return as a midfield partner instead of the forwards, now that the forwards are looking in better shape?