Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

western exile

Quote from: thewobbler on December 21, 2007, 12:33:18 PM
It is the silly season

It may be!   :D

But has it been tried and proven to fail?   Is that not the purpose of challenge games, McKenna Cup, and (dare I say it) div 3 NFL ?

And, and an earlier poster noted that there are no immediate worries regarding the forwards.  I have to agree with them, we have a lopsided balance of ability in the squad/county,  tipping the scales in favour of the forwards....

So we can afford to try Benny out at full back.    Or, given our immediate need to fix the full back problem, can we afford NOT to try him out there?

whyarerefssobad

Benny played defence for mayobridge minors so it would not be new to him its worth a try nothing ventured nothing gained
always look on the bright side

western exile

Quote from: Mourne Rover on December 20, 2007, 11:57:05 PM

I would not worry too much about our forwards at this stage, as, apart from the lack of an obvious no 11, the talent is there. If James Colgan can prove that he wants to be a senior county footballer, there should be a place for him somewhere as well.

I couldn't agree more than with both of those  statements........

downredblack

Great post Downfanatic , cant wait for the McKenna cup to start and get a look at some our new prospects .
That's the work dusted for another year , time for a few pints . Hope all you boys have a great Christmas .

thewobbler

Seriously, Benny Coulter is our most talented forward. By miles. And fellas are suggesting playing him in defence. Are yis off your fuckin heads?

whyarerefssobad

wobbler tell me what Benny has done for down this last three years.the mangers that got the best out off him was Trixy that was at midfield for down minors and MC Corry for mayobridge at midfield or half forward to have him stuck in full forward is a waste off time so we might as well play him at full back we need our best player on the ball
always look on the bright side

Pangurban

Definitely worth trying Coulter at full back, in my view the forward unit operates better without him, with players taking on responsibility instead of looking for Benny

DownFanatic

In my Selected first 15, I forgot all about Paul Murphy. Would he not possibly be our best option at Full Back? As for Benn ygoing back there, catch yourselves on.

Mourne Rover

A debate about our championship full back for 2008 would be very useful. His name is not Benny Coulter, but let's have a few suggestions.

passedit

Could someone tell me how many minutes Liam Doyle has played CHB for the Down senior football team?
Don't Panic

Lecale2

I think Benny could be the long term replacement for Mickey McVeigh in goals. He once played in goals at u12 and did well. The only problem might be the forwards continually passing back to him.

Mourne Rover

Passedit, I cannot recall Liam Doyle ever starting at CHB for Down seniors in a competitive game. He has played at midfield, and most of the forward positions, and I seem to remember that he even had a match or two at full back. However, after captaining Down to the 1999 AI minor championship at no 6, he has always been kept elsewhere.

Paddy O'Rourke appeared to have a closed mind on the issue. He regarded Doyle as a forward, and, no matter how often fans demanded  an opportunity to see him at CHB, Paddy was not for shifting.

Some people might wonder why a player who has had so many injuries and has no senior experience at CHB should be widely regarded as the answer to the problems we had had in that position.

However, when free of injury, Doyle is someone who can win the ball and use it very effectively. He is a strong tackler, has leadership qualities and is capable of getting forward to support his midfield and even take a score. His form over the last few seasons has not been great, and he is probably on the small side for a central position, but class is permanent and he deserves at the very least to be given the whole of the league to settle the argument once and for all - assuming he is fit. 

spiritof91and94

Quote from: thewobbler on December 21, 2007, 03:19:20 PM
Seriously, Benny Coulter is our most talented forward. By miles. And fellas are suggesting playing him in defence. Are yis off your fuckin heads?

Im with you on this one wobbler!

Cloc Mor

Two things

Surely football is about outscoring your opponents.  You score more than the opposition, you win the game.  Whats the sense then in putting you most dangerous forward at full back.  He puts the shit up some many defences that most have to put two men on him.  I could see them doing this with Packy or Danny Hughes.

Secondly, Liam Doyle peaked when he was 18 years of age.  He has done nothing since.  He is totally overrated and to put him at CHB would be a major mistake.  Based on his performances in the red and black, he doesn't deserve a place on the team.  Surely if he was fit, and stayed of the sauce, he would be an addition to the team.  He has been a passenger and was picked because of his reputation and potential.  Not good enough