Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meatsy86

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 29, 2022, 10:56:05 AM
Looking at club fixtures, here is a solution, play more underage games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings. From 2pm on a Sunday there are no other fixtures other than reserves which is a crap time for them tbh

Minor fixtures on a Sunday evening would be good, Sunday at 2pm could be u13. It is just a thought but there are two evenings that would be freed up for clubs in the week.

Minor fixtures on a Sunday evening would not be good TruthHurts. If its a crap time for Reserves would it not be a crap time for Minor Management teams plus add to that Minor Girls and Boys tend to have a social life nowadays and weekend mornings are a nightmare to get them to train never mind anything else.

Truth hurts

Quote from: meatsy86 on April 29, 2022, 11:50:07 AM
Looking at club fixtures, here is a solution, play more underage games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings. From 2pm on a Sunday there are no other fixtures other than reserves which is a crap time for them tbh

Minor fixtures on a Sunday evening would be good, Sunday at 2pm could be u13. It is just a thought but there are two evenings that would be freed up for clubs in the week.

Minor fixtures on a Sunday evening would not be good TruthHurts. If its a crap time for Reserves would it not be a crap time for Minor Management teams plus add to that Minor Girls and Boys tend to have a social life nowadays and weekend mornings are a nightmare to get them to train never mind anything else.

There is going to be a crap time for someone but the point I am trying to make is that there are plenty of hours over the weekend that are not used. Camogie is midweek! Having their games on a Sunday afternoon could be another good idea and surely would increase the profile and increase attendance. I am sure someone will come back and say about social life and part time jobs but the same applies to reserve players.
There is no majic wand in wand but I think a more balanced approach is needed to ensure that OLASPK,  St Marks, Derrylecka etc are not having to be rented consistently by clubs .

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2022, 11:03:32 AM

U15 hurlers are out on a Sunday morning, you wouldn't want to be killing those kids that play both, would you?

P7 down play on Saturday afternoons as well

U13 hurling on friday evenings and U17's on wednesday evenings as well, do just bare that in mind.  ;)

I've heard of other counties doing hurling and football on alternative weeks - is that made up or does it actually happen?

It wouldn't work in down as they'd just arrange football on the hurling weeks but I was just wondering does it work. Primary school hurling U11/U9/U7 and U9/U7 football is alternative weeks at the minute in Down and that's hard enough with football clubs organising tournaments on hurling days.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 29, 2022, 12:34:01 PM

There is going to be a crap time for someone but the point I am trying to make is that there are plenty of hours over the weekend that are not used. Camogie is midweek! Having their games on a Sunday afternoon could be another good idea and surely would increase the profile and increase attendance. I am sure someone will come back and say about social life and part time jobs but the same applies to reserve players.
There is no majic wand in wand but I think a more balanced approach is needed to ensure that OLASPK,  St Marks, Derrylecka etc are not having to be rented consistently by clubs .

You'd never have enough refs available to play more games at the weekend. There's only a handful of refs covering 4 codes (most only cover one). Camogie at the minute split their adult games over 2 nights and still struggle to get refs. Ballela's game was called off last week because there was no ref available. Underage camogie games never have refs

Truth hurts

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 29, 2022, 12:46:05 PM

You'd never have enough refs available to play more games at the weekend. There's only a handful of refs covering 4 codes (most only cover one). Camogie at the minute split their adult games over 2 nights and still struggle to get refs. Ballela's game was called off last week because there was no ref available. Underage camogie games never have refs

Each club should have t have at least two refs to cover games, if they don't then they should not be allowed to compete.

snoopdog

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 29, 2022, 12:59:15 PM
Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 29, 2022, 12:46:05 PM

Each club should have t have at least two refs to cover games, if they don't then they should not be allowed to compete.
That would really improve the quality of officiating.  Eh I'm only here cause I'm made be.

thewobbler

Upside... they wouldn't have much officiating to do though. There'd only be 8-10 teams left in Down.

Truth hurts

Has anyone a list of refs and what clubs they are from. Are there many clubs not contributing?

rosskarr

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 29, 2022, 01:30:46 PM
Has anyone a list of refs and what clubs they are from. Are there many clubs not contributing?
That's a bit of a loaded question.What's the issue?

No1

QuoteHas anyone a list of refs and what clubs they are from. Are there many clubs not contributing?

Apart from referees, what are exactly is your own club contributing to Down GAA?

Any juvenile teams going?  Senior or reserve football?  Hurling?  Camogie?  Ladies Football?  Social club still going?

Catch yourself on.

johnnycool

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 29, 2022, 12:40:10 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 29, 2022, 11:03:32 AM

U15 hurlers are out on a Sunday morning, you wouldn't want to be killing those kids that play both, would you?

P7 down play on Saturday afternoons as well

U13 hurling on friday evenings and U17's on wednesday evenings as well, do just bare that in mind.  ;)

I've heard of other counties doing hurling and football on alternative weeks - is that made up or does it actually happen?

It wouldn't work in down as they'd just arrange football on the hurling weeks but I was just wondering does it work. Primary school hurling U11/U9/U7 and U9/U7 football is alternative weeks at the minute in Down and that's hard enough with football clubs organising tournaments on hurling days.

It was loosely organised in such a way that primary school hurling was the first and third Saturdays of the month with the 2nd and 4th Saturdays for football, but there have been incidents where teams have pulled out of hurling blitzes as they've lads playing football the same day, CB needed to be stronger at times but aren't.

6th sam

Quote from: No1 on April 29, 2022, 02:51:20 PM
QuoteHas anyone a list of refs and what clubs they are from. Are there many clubs not contributing?

Apart from referees, what are exactly is your own club contributing to Down GAA?

Any juvenile teams going?  Senior or reserve football?  Hurling?  Camogie?  Ladies Football?  Social club still going?

Catch yourself on.

It's a very fair point . There has been an exponential increase in teams but not in referees. Every club has to work hard at trying to produce refs or everyone loses out. Our club has nearly  20 teams and 1 referee. There are a number of initiatives to attract and retain referees but all clubs are not producing enough referees . How can we all improve this?

Mourne Red

Catch yourself on.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

befair

Quote from: 6th sam on April 29, 2022, 04:09:42 PM

Catch yourself on.

I'm surprised any young person wants to become a ref; the sustained abuse they receive from players, mentors and supporters is unacceptable. A team can kick sixteen wides, and when the game is over, blame the ref. No fan of rugby, bu the respect they give the ref is something we should emulate
It's a very fair point . There has been an exponential increase in teams but not in referees. Every club has to work hard at trying to produce refs or everyone loses out. Our club has nearly  20 teams and 1 referee. There are a number of initiatives to attract and retain referees but all clubs are not producing enough referees . How can we all improve this?

snoopdog

Any starting 15 for tomorrow yet?