Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Johnnysboys on April 28, 2022, 06:40:43 PM
There are 168 hours in a week.. asking a child of 10-11 to take part in activity for 4 hours (or thereabouts) is not a bad thing. If it's structured and well lead - I have no problem with it at all.
As for a lad playing u13 if he is 11 - that's completely wrong imo. The sooner the GAA bring in a rule that you can't play up the better. Let players develop at their own level, with their own group of friends/peers and if they are a "special player" in terms of ability, size etc so what. I've seen lads at our club getting slaughtered down the years playing up. If ya can't field at u15 without u13 players - amalgamate with another club struggling for numbers. But don't flog young lads/girls to a level where they could get seriously hurt.

We wouldn't be able to put one juvenile team on the field if that was the case....

SamFever

There are 168 hours in a week.. asking a child of 10-11 to take part in activity for 4 hours (or thereabouts) is not a bad thing. If it's structured and well lead - I have no problem with it at all.
As for a lad playing u13 if he is 11 - that's completely wrong imo. The sooner the GAA bring in a rule that you can't play up the better. Let players develop at their own level, with their own group of friends/peers and if they are a "special player" in terms of ability, size etc so what. I've seen lads at our club getting slaughtered down the years playing up. If ya can't field at u15 without u13 players - amalgamate with another club struggling for numbers. But don't flog young lads/girls to a level where they could get seriously hurt.
The exact opposite goes on in Kilcoo and look how that has worked out for their good.

Mourne Red

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 28, 2022, 02:49:05 PM
Quote from: stiff breeze on April 28, 2022, 02:14:53 PM
Under 11 strength and conditioning coaches are the way forward  ;D ;D

They have to do that programme on their own time though. :o

Nutrition plans funded by the Club Comittees.. anyone caught eating Fish Fingers or Chicken Nuggets faces disciplinary action 

thewobbler

The levels of equality/consistency/control you wish to put on children is bordering on eugenics as it would require equally controlled birth rates and growth patterns.

Some kids play up a grade because it's the best fit for them. Some kids play up a grade because their club needs them to. Some kids don't get any game time because they've too many players. Some kids get too much much game time because there's not enough kids around his age.  Some kids don't get any game time because there's not enough kids his age in the area. And some kids get game time handed to them in right just the right amounts. The GAA and your club have very little to do with how this happens.

Johnnysboys

[/quote]
  The exact opposite goes on in Kilcoo and look how that has worked out for their good.
[/quote]

I disagree with you here. Their minor winning team from a few years ago literally had a panel of 19. Those lads were minors and all played their fair share of games throughout the season. Their wing half forward that year was the keeper the next year!! He was sub keeper last night btw..
plus that lad Justin Clarke was a big big player at underage and has taken a while to find his feet at senior level - he was solid last night in midfield. Another lad Doyle was a big player on that minor team and last night was first time I've seen him on pitch for seniors. Shaelan Johnston. Morgan were seriously talented and made the step up to seniors the season after minors finished.

SamFever

Quote from: Johnnysboys on April 28, 2022, 09:08:46 PM

[/quote]

I disagree with you here. Their minor winning team from a few years ago literally had a panel of 19. Those lads were minors and all played their fair share of games throughout the season. Their wing half forward that year was the keeper the next year!! He was sub keeper last night btw..
plus that lad Justin Clarke was a big big player at underage and has taken a while to find his feet at senior level - he was solid last night in midfield. Another lad Doyle was a big player on that minor team and last night was first time I've seen him on pitch for seniors. Shaelan Johnston. Morgan were seriously talented and made the step up to seniors the season after minors finished.
[/quote]

I take your points but the conversation is about underage players playing up a level in smaller Clubs.

Smurfy123

Under 11s should only train 1 night a week and players should not play up a level

Ah ffs what are you talking about?

What's wrong with under 11s training for an hour on Tuesday Thursday and a match Saturday? Why would they be sick of it? Catch a grip

And a lad can't play up his age. Yeah right

Find a space on the pitch to train them. Go at 5 or 6

Don't use pitch availability as to why under 11s can't train

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on April 29, 2022, 07:34:46 AM
Under 11s should only train 1 night a week and players should not play up a level

What's wrong with under 11s training for an hour on Tuesday Thursday and a match Saturday? Why would they be sick of it? Catch a grip

The guys here saying u11s should train twice a week . I wonder do any of you have kids???

bigarsedkeeper

Who's home to take a team at 5pm on a week day never mind take the kids there?

clubman21

Not many clubs could field u13 teams without the assistance of the 10-11 year olds, mental comment to say they shouldn't be allowed

manwithnoplan

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on April 29, 2022, 08:26:55 AM

Easy enough to spot on here who is either retired or is a teacher.

thewobbler

Quote from: manwithnoplan on April 29, 2022, 09:00:37 AM

It's worse than that. They haven't computed that a meaningful training session at 5pm would require 3-4 coaches and 16-25 parents to be properly inconvenienced. 

I hope he doesn't work in logistics.

—-/

If an 11 year old doesn't have the interest / initiative to kick a ball around with his mates a couple of times a week, then a club cannot make up the shortfall. Those lads will not play when they're older. You have to be drawn to kicking a ball to play football. It's not complicated.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: thewobbler on April 29, 2022, 09:07:52 AM
Quote from: manwithnoplan on April 29, 2022, 09:00:37 AM

It's worse than that. They haven't computed that a meaningful training session at 5pm would require 3-4 coaches and 16-25 parents to be properly inconvenienced. 

I hope he doesn't work in logistics.

—-/

If an 11 year old doesn't have the interest / initiative to kick a ball around with his mates a couple of times a week, then a club cannot make up the shortfall. Those lads will not play when they're older. You have to be drawn to kicking a ball to play football. It's not complicated.

I would agree with that point, kids of that age who have a real interest will gather up a friend or two and head to the pitch or garden and kick a ball about for an hour or two (obviously depending on where they live in regards proximity to friends/pitches/green areas, but in general it would be the case).

Truth hurts

Looking at club fixtures, here is a solution, play more underage games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings. From 2pm on a Sunday there are no other fixtures other than reserves which is a crap time for them tbh

Minor fixtures on a Sunday evening would be good, Sunday at 2pm could be u13. It is just a thought but there are two evenings that would be freed up for clubs in the week.

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on April 29, 2022, 10:56:05 AM
Looking at club fixtures, here is a solution, play more underage games on Saturday and Sunday afternoons and evenings. From 2pm on a Sunday there are no other fixtures other than reserves which is a crap time for them tbh

Minor fixtures on a Sunday evening would be good, Sunday at 2pm could be u13. It is just a thought but there are two evenings that would be freed up for clubs in the week.

U15 hurlers are out on a Sunday morning, you wouldn't want to be killing those kids that play both, would you?

P7 down play on Saturday afternoons as well

U13 hurling on friday evenings and U17's on wednesday evenings as well, do just bare that in mind.  ;)