Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

How did An Riocht/Burren end up? Can the Kingdom make top 4?

Quote from: Bacon on September 21, 2007, 12:52:47 PM
Anybody else going over? Will the bar in the club house be open?
I'll be in Portaferry this afternoon Bacon. If the club house isn't open there will be some very disappointed passengers in my car. I reckon it will be open before the game and at half time. Looking forward to a good match.

uselessfootballer

Div 3 Relagation Play-Off

St Paul's beat Mitchels 3-15 to 3-08

Naomh Pol Abu

Square Ball

3 rd division promotion play off:

Bredagh and Tullylish drew 1:10 to 1:10
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

Down ACFL Division 3 Promotion Playoff

Dundrum 2-07  Saul 1-08

southdown

Quote from: Townie on September 22, 2007, 07:43:39 PM
feel for the stone in the county final on tonights performance they were pure shite against us tonight, they are very average

I am sure you would still love to be in our shoes though.  But the Bridge wont be shaking in their boots after that display.

Lecale2

Ballycran beat Ballygalget to win the SHC for the first time in 12 years. Final Score Ballycran 1-12 0-09 Ballygalget.

Square Ball

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 23, 2007, 05:24:26 PM
Down ACFL Division 3 Promotion Playoff

Dundrum 2-07  Saul 1-08

DF

your mob seemed to we winning this comfortably at half time, we then went home and I was a bit surprised at the result. Did you see any of our match?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Whitehair

Well done to a very young and very hungry Ballycran team on their victory today. Ballycrans fast and young forwards( 5 of which were 20 or under) had the beating of the galget defence which contained 3 seconds players, from the word go and never relinquished the lead.

Aristotle Flynn

SHC Final
I think the final score was actually 1-13 to 0-09. Ballycran deserved their win. Better team on the day. It's the first time in many years that I've been to the hurling final and it was a good occasion (the last time was when it was played along with the football final in Newcastle). For all the talk before hand I though the referee did a very good job. The thing that surprised me most was the ability of both sets of players to hit the post from a long way out. Now that's accuracy! They must have done it at least 7 or 8 times during the game.
I hope Ballycran now look towards Ulster rather than celebrate their Down victory.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Whitehair

That was the score alright 1.13 to 9. Ned had in sound game in my view, didnt notice him much which is normally a telling sign.
I wouldnt think they'l be puttin a huge deal of emphasis on ulster although if loughiel come out of antrim neither might they. Take a look around Renshaws tomorrow and u'l see most of the Cran squad.

Bacon

Ballycran were well worth their win on the day. Just sorry I didn't back them at the 2/1 that was available.
The crans were on top throughout the game with the exception of a 10 minutes spell in the second half and led 0-9 to 0-4 at half time. Both teams struggled to cope with a difficult wind but it was Ballycran that could take scores from play. Ballygalget were very disappointing all over the field & relied on Eoin Clarkes free to keep them in the game. Big Magic was well marshalled throughout and when he did break free he shot wide. The goal was a shocker and came at a very bad time for Ballygalget, just when it looked like they might raise their game.
All in all a poor game and I can't see Dunloy or Loughgiel worrying about Ballycran in the Ulster semi. The ref had a good game to be fair to him.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

johnneycool

Quote from: Bacon on September 24, 2007, 08:35:23 AM
Ballycran were well worth their win on the day. Just sorry I didn't back them at the 2/1 that was available.
The crans were on top throughout the game with the exception of a 10 minutes spell in the second half and led 0-9 to 0-4 at half time. Both teams struggled to cope with a difficult wind but it was Ballycran that could take scores from play. Ballygalget were very disappointing all over the field & relied on Eoin Clarkes free to keep them in the game. Big Magic was well marshalled throughout and when he did break free he shot wide. The goal was a shocker and came at a very bad time for Ballygalget, just when it looked like they might raise their game.
All in all a poor game and I can't see Dunloy or Loughgiel worrying about Ballycran in the Ulster semi. The ref had a good game to be fair to him.

Fair dues to the Crans, they wanted it more and often in championship games that's the deciding factor. They have some fine young hurlers who if they can keep out of 'Johns' may develop but the curse of the drink has cost Ballycran a lot of good hurlers in years gone by. They also found out yesterday that they don't need Gazza or Mick to win games, even Simon Wilson isn't a loss to them. Yet again they are a smallish team and that will mitigate against them in the Ulster semi-final when the pitches get heavier and I'd be concerned too that they'll celebrate too much to give it a good run.

As for Ballygalget they found out yesterday the value of Barry Coulter. His leadership up the field was badly missed as it was against Portaferry, but we got away with it then, not yesterday. For all our players in their mid twenties there aren't too many leaders coming through and that was shown up when we did start to play it was aimless stuff with magic being the only target man. We need ball winners in the forwards to take a bit of the load off Magic. At one point Ballycran had two men on him but for the life of me I couldn't see where our free man was. We're not direct enough in the forwards, always looking to handpass rather than take on the score ourselves. It says it all that big Kevin Dynes troubled the Ballycran defence more than the other six forwards when he went up the field with his marker in the last 15 minutes.

Thank god our U-16's have some real decent hurlers coming through and they're not shrinking violets either, always a good thing in my book.

goldenyears

any reports on football? have to say i am sick of the lack of football posting.....on the verge of not bothering with this site any longer.

harps struggled past downpatrick; dont think they deserved to win but contrived to stay in touch and only for rony murtagh would not even be close to the top four never mind in good shape to go up.....

saval got two early goals v ballymartin that killed the game completely - saval won by 10 at a canter, and makes harps capitulation in the championship look even worse.....

5 Sams

Quote from: goldenyears on September 24, 2007, 09:29:23 AM

harps struggled past downpatrick; dont think they deserved to win but contrived to stay in touch and only for rony murtagh would not even be close to the top four never mind in good shape to go up.....

Dont agree with you GY. Our stats man told me that Downpatrick only had 4 shots on goal in the second half and only two of those were scores...I think that says a lot about our defence.....while Rony may be a one show up front we had boys at the back doing the business when needed.

I have a feeling though that Downpatrick and Ballymartin had one eye on next week.
The Aristocrat Years

DownFanatic

Square Ball, we were leading 2-05 to 0-05 at halftime. After the break we knocked over two further points to leave it 2-07 to 0-05. However, about 10 minutes in we got one of our wing backs sent off (two yellows) and this left us with 14 men for the Final 20 minutes.
Incidentally, we did not score after the sending off. Saul pressed us big time. They scored 1-03 but our lads showed some incredible hunger and desire to hold on to their lead.
That was a very good result for us but as we all know there is a long way to go yet. This Saturday's fixtures are Bredagh v Saul and Tullylish v Dundrum.
Didnt see your game v Tullylish. Although I heard Gormley was your main man again. 9 points once again? What was your verdict on it?

PS. Warrenpoint beat Glasdrumman 2-12 to 1-06 in the Division 2 Relegation Playoff while Liatoim beat Loughinisland by 5 in the Division 1 relegation match. This means that the Island will now play Bryansford next week and if they lose they go down. Bryansford - our hopes and prayers are with you all.