Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cut the crap

redandblackareback, your talking through your hole, as far as i know the Island didnt railroad any one and are not begging any one to return, check your facts and sources before posting that dribble.

5 Sams

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 18, 2016, 02:53:25 PM
6-man management team with Benny at the helm as player/manager???!!
This could only end in tears.
Im assuming they are forking out for a dude to come from Ballinderry to train the team and for Harold to come down from Newry.
Nobody about the Bridge or closer to home fit to train their team?

Manager merrygoround going to be ridiculous this winter.

Our treasurer will shit himself when he sees this
The Aristocrat Years

SamFever

Quote from: cut the crap on October 18, 2016, 08:26:34 PM
redandblackareback, your talking through your hole, as far as i know the Island didnt railroad any one and are not begging any one to return, check your facts and sources before posting that dribble.
Tell us the facts

Smurfy123

Niall McAleenan and Oliver Sloan confirmed as Warrenpoint Senior management team for 2017.Like to wish the lads all the best

Bernie Ruane and his team confirmed as our under 21 management team last night.
Good luck to Bernie and Co

thewobbler

Quote from: downup on October 18, 2016, 03:14:06 PM
How scientific is training a team becoming - managers in division 1 are Sean Ward, Shorty Trainor, Ross Carr, Your man Mc Iver, Brian Burns to name but a few. Each of these lads played at the top of the game for club and county and each of these lads have other people in training their respective teams. Years ago it was that manager was getting paid that was the argument but now there is a full backroom team getting paid. Burren have 3 outside men with them - crazy stuff. How much better has it made them. How can clubs sustain this or is it just because its a new fad that this is the done thing.

100% right.

Burren needed a half a page to name their management team in SFC programmes this season!

Not sure if having so many people around can help. Every manager needs a trusted lieutenant to both take pressure off and to challenge his thinking. But too many lieutenants means too many opinions, too many mad ideas to try out.

Brick Tamlin

Whats your views on Bridge management team Wobbler?

Clubs should be spending the money on their underage coaching infrastructure rather than throwing money at a quick fix at senior level.
People lost the run of themselves. Think its the premiership they are in.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 19, 2016, 08:15:06 AM
Niall McAleenan and Oliver Sloan confirmed as Warrenpoint Senior management team for 2017.Like to wish the lads all the best

Bernie Ruane and his team confirmed as our under 21 management team last night.
Good luck to Bernie and Co

Bernie Ruane done a great job with Warrenpoint underage sides and their seniors this year. Big achievement for them staying in division one despite their absences.

In relation to the size of management and backroom teams. Kilcoo have about 15 within their setup. However, it seems from the outside it is ran with military precision and that is why it works.

The problem with big numbers in other setups is that members probably aren't given defined roles and the waters get muddied in terms of who is responsible for what.

The terminology that the 'Bridge have used: 'Francie Poland and Benny Coulter (player/manager) will lead the management team' already suggests to me that they don't actually have a sole figurehead in place and thus this can cause issues.

Down Follower

The Bridge set up starts well, respected internal men, all former players, but it goes a bit wayward with the introduction of the two outside men. What are they doing bringing a man down from Ballinderry to train them?  If he is that good let him take control and manage the team.  Surely there is someone close to home for them who could do that job.

rosskarr

Is there anyone on here these past few days happy about anything?Lighten up with the criticising.Deegan should maybe have got the Senior job last year so this will be a good stepping stone.

Brick Tamlin

Not that I disagree with you but can you explain your rationale for Conor Deegan being selected the senior football manager? In your view, why should he have been given it?

wobbller

previous success and the ability to communicate.

Brick Tamlin

Ahhhhhh right.
You make some excellent points there.
After reading all that I can actually see where youre coming from now.
Hard to know how he was overlooked when you consider all that.

rosskarr

Quote from: wobbller on October 19, 2016, 03:20:22 PM
  previous success and the ability to communicate.
Don't disagree with that but I would also add that he has a presence about him and I think will command/demand respect from all involved. His backroom team(bar Ruane) leaves a lot to be desired though.

Smurfy123

Mickey Walshe is a great coach by all accounts so don't know why so many are getting the digs in at him?
Deegans has been successful where exactly?

snoopdog

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 19, 2016, 05:50:03 PM
Mickey Walshe is a great coach by all accounts so don't know why so many are getting the digs in at him?
Deegans has been successful where exactly?
Not sure on his success rate. But he has managed Skerries harps, Ballyboden and kilmacud before auglisghnafinn and Downpatrick.