Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: No1 on October 15, 2016, 07:37:37 PM
That's a pretty good management team for the senior hurling, what do you reckon Johnneycool?

I'm never convinced by these types of amalgamations when it comes to senior management teams as you're never sure of the dynamic, but we'll have to wait and see I suppose.

TBH the hurlers aren't there anyway, but getting out of 2B should be a must, but not easy as I'd have Meath well ahead of them in terms of ability.

Brick Tamlin

The County Committee ratified an eight-member Steering Group for the Mourne County GAA Academy under the chairmanship of former All-Ireland winning captain Paddy O'Rourke. Other members of the Group include 1994 All-Ireland winning captain DJ Kane (Newry Shamrocks), Declan Mussen (Kilcoo), Dr Eddie Harney (Saul), Joe Tunney (Carryduff), James McCartan (Minor Manager), Conor O'Toole (County Development Manager), Tom Potter (Coaching Officer) and Professor Niall Moyna (DCU) who will act as a consultant/advisor to the group.

This was announced around this time last year if im not mistaken.
Can anyone tell me what the remit and function/responsibility of this group is? What structures have they implemented since the inception of the group or is there a development plan in place?
Are they solely to look after the Academy players and their development or have they any wider responsibilities within the county re Adult footballers etc?
Also does anyone know if they are involved in the decision-making process for managerial appointments at each level in the county?

If the previous comment about a ruling for personnel involved in management of both a county squad and a club squad is true then it makes the county board look pretty silly to be fair. Another genius move I guess.

Mourne Red

Bar Deegan, rest of that u21 set up doesn't really excite.

SamFever

A  Chara 
The sub committee appointed to conduct the process of selecting an Under 21 Football team management are asking for expressions of interests from management teams who would be interested in undertaking the role of Down Under 21 Football team management.

Interested parties should submit details of their proposed management team structure by email to myself before 5.00pm on Friday 7th October. It is expected that interviews will take place in the week commencing Monday 10th October.

In agreement with County Board policy successful candidates would not be permitted to have managerial involvement with Club teams above Under 16 level.

Is Mise
Seán Óg Mac an tSaoir

cut the crap

How do the county board propose to enforce not permitted to be part of any team above u16 level, id be interested to know, as there may have been other candidates for the u21 post had it been known that in fact that condition doesnt really apply, its a shame because i thought we had turned a corner with this appointment.

SamFever

Quote from: cut the crap on October 17, 2016, 09:27:51 PM
How do the county board propose to enforce not permitted to be part of any team above u16 level, id be interested to know, as there may have been other candidates for the u21 post had it been known that in fact that condition doesnt really apply, its a shame because i thought we had turned a corner with this appointment.
Has Michael Walsh stepped down from your Seniors?

oileain blues

If you know Micky Walsh, you already know the answer to your question.

SamFever

Quote from: oileain blues on October 18, 2016, 08:12:23 AM
I don't know MIchael Walsh and don't know the answer hence me asking the question.

redandblackareback

Quote from: SamFever on October 18, 2016, 08:49:08 AM
Quote from: oileain blues on October 18, 2016, 08:12:23 AM
I don't know MIchael Walsh and don't know the answer hence me asking the question.

Common knowledge at this stage Walsh got railroaded from the Island, Lisland begging Jerome Johnston to return.

Interesting few weeks ahead, if you look down Division one, two, three there will be at least 12 jobs available, will clubs plum for outside men or inside men, big rumour is Paul Mc Ivor will definitely be going to Clonoe next year!
At Present following clubs searching for new men

Burren
Mayobridge
Castlewellan
Warrenpoint
Glen
Saval
Downpatrick
Loughinisland
Darragh Cross
Tullylish
Saul
Attical

Any others???

SamFever

Thank-you for a civil reply unlike some.

downup

Big Frank has plenty to choose from then ;-). Additional to that is St Johns and Banbridge and I have been told Leitrim but not sure about that one. Banbridge are apparently going in house this year. They have had 2 very tough years with successive relegations and need to steady the ship in order to stop them plummeting. The big clubs will probably all go for outside men but I reckon a lot of other clubs will try and go inside if they have anyone willing to take it on.

whitegoodman

Have the management in Burren and Castlewellan told or been told that they are leaving?  Find it a bit odd saying as they are playing a league semi final this week and their season is still going.

5 Sams

From the Mayobridge Facebook page.

Mayobridge GAC are pleased to announce that Francie Poland and Benny Coulter (Player/manager) will take lead with the senior team next season. Former championship winners Noel Sexton and Gavin Barry are selectors while the team will be joined by Ballinderry's Killian Conlan as Trainer/Coach and Carrickcruppen's Stephen Harold as strength and conditioning coach.
The Aristocrat Years

Brick Tamlin

6-man management team with Benny at the helm as player/manager???!!
This could only end in tears.
Im assuming they are forking out for a dude to come from Ballinderry to train the team and for Harold to come down from Newry.
Nobody about the Bridge or closer to home fit to train their team?

Manager merrygoround going to be ridiculous this winter.

downup

How scientific is training a team becoming - managers in division 1 are Sean Ward, Shorty Trainor, Ross Carr, Your man Mc Iver, Brian Burns to name but a few. Each of these lads played at the top of the game for club and county and each of these lads have other people in training their respective teams. Years ago it was that manager was getting paid that was the argument but now there is a full backroom team getting paid. Burren have 3 outside men with them - crazy stuff. How much better has it made them. How can clubs sustain this or is it just because its a new fad that this is the done thing.