Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

difference in standard between divisions needs addressed!

all div3 teams were trounced by div 2 teams (with due respect d cross are a poor div2 side and are prob really a div3 side), and i have no doubt that the teams at the top of div2 will struggle big time next year in div1...

any suggestions? bigger leagues possible?

behind the wire

goldenyears im not sure how you come to reckon that darragh cross are a poor divison 2 team and should be in division 3. as far as i know they have been far from outclassed in any game this season and have beaten both saval and annaclone along the way, two teams im sure you would regard as stronger division 2 teams. i have played against them a couple of times this year and must say they have a couple of very good players.
dont know about the gulf in class either. imo the biggest gulf in class exists within division 3 itself and not between top of division 3 and botom of division 2.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Townie

southdown

Townie, the last I heard the Bridge were up by 14! That was near the end of the second half.  Rostrevor will be kicking themselves for not putting them away the first day.

Townie

to be honest i thought the bridge would win easy enough good side think them and the ford should be a cracker!

southdown

a 20 point victory for the Bridge.  Anyone at it?

DownFanatic

ACFL Division 3 Table

Played     Points
Tullylish           21            34             Playoffs
Saul                21            29             Playoffs
Dundrum         21            29             Playoffs
Bredagh          21            27             Playoffs
--------------------------------------------
Bosco              21            24
Teconnaught    21           22
Ardglass           20            21
Drumgath         20            19
---------------------------------------------
Glenn              21            18
Mitchels           21            11
Bright              21             8         
St Pauls           21             8         

Outstanding Fixtures: Ardglass v Drumgath

townof12

A stroll in the park for the bridge, even without the sextons and Gavin Barry.  Bridge outplayed Rostrevor in every area of the pitch and had big performances from walsh and benny.  Sent out a message, still the team to beat!

6th sam

Quote from: goldenyears on August 28, 2007, 11:23:17 AM
difference in standard between divisions needs addressed!

all div3 teams were trounced by div 2 teams (with due respect d cross are a poor div2 side and are prob really a div3 side), and i have no doubt that the teams at the top of div2 will struggle big time next year in div1...

any suggestions? bigger leagues possible?

I think results over past 2-3 years indicate darragh are a div 2 side.They have competed favourably this year even without their best player P.Mageean for most of the season.They waltzed thru div 3 last year,and the previous year were only relegated after being dragged into the bottom 4 ,with a points tally that was just off a top 4 place.

I do agree with you however that bigger leagues would breath life into club football.
A 16 team div 1 for example could give the likes of Ballyholland,Annaclone and Saval an opportunity to become established division 1 sides-surely that can only be good for football in the county.

goldenyears

come on guys, you cant tell me that d cross are a good div2 side?? they definitely are trickier at home, but on their travels leave alot to be desired....maybe i am being harsh on them, and quite probably if they hold their status for another 2 seasons they can push on from there.....

but my point still stands up.....anyone coming up from div3 next year will probably go straight back down. I think you will find that banbridge will join carryduff in div3 next year.....am i talking rubbish?

behind the wire

yes goldenyears you are talking rubbish.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Uladh

Why were the sextons not playing?

southdown

I think their brother was getting married in Germany yesterday.

boscomo

guys only back form happy hols, has the 1/2 semi final draw been made for jfc.

many regards
if in doubt eat it

Smiler An Dun

I would agree with Golden Years in a way that Div 3 teams that go up to the 2nd will struggle and may come straight back down.  At present there is not a lot of difference between the top Div 4 teams and most of those in the 3rd.  Div 2 however is a biger step.

The results in this years championships prove this in that Drumgath were knocked out early in the Senior, no Div 3 team left in the Intemediate and only Bosco left playing in the Junior with the rest being Div 4 teams.

Now may be the right time to restructure the leagues, but if changes are to be made will the clubs vote on it?  They had the chance last year but voted against any changes being put forward.

Btw draw for Junior C'ship semis is:

Bosco Vs St. Michaels (Newry, Sat 8th Sept)
St. John's Vs Drumaness (Newcastle, Sun 9th Sept)

Can Drumaness do the double and ensure that for another year that a Division 4 side has won the C'ship?