Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

In this case I would have to agree with Jim.  I can't see how a manager can perform to his best if he can't control his emotions along the line.  I dont think u would see the likes of Jim McCurry at this.  Add to that I don't see how people within the club can be happy with the embarrassment to their club that is often caused by some of the antics.

5sams you say you think you have the best coach in Down but the league table would suggest you def don't have the best manager in Down and in fact Ballyholland are having their worst league season in years and only for the larger league you would be in a bit of trouble.  Also the difference between you and your chairman losing the head and your manager losing the head is that he is supposed to make important decisions in the heat of the moment and the players on the field should be able to look along the line and see a calm and composed leader who they can trust to make the right calls at the right moments.

Lecale2

redandblackareback

Quote from: NP 76 on June 22, 2014, 03:42:51 PM
To be fair Jim people in glass houses and all that! The behaviour of some of the Burren mentors at underage leaves a lot to be desired

Burren underage mentors that consist of Warrenpoint men, Ballymartin men, Crossmaglen men and Newry men to name a few  ;)

whitegoodman

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 22, 2014, 09:04:38 PM
Who is Jim McCurry?

Cheers for the correction, much appreciated

Adds so much to the discussion

Thank the lord you joined us this evening.........

5 Sams

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 22, 2014, 07:32:25 PM
In this case I would have to agree with Jim.  I can't see how a manager can perform to his best if he can't control his emotions along the line.  I dont think u would see the likes of Jim McCurry at this.  Add to that I don't see how people within the club can be happy with the embarrassment to their club that is often caused by some of the antics.

5sams you say you think you have the best coach in Down but the league table would suggest you def don't have the best manager in Down and in fact Ballyholland are having their worst league season in years and only for the larger league you would be in a bit of trouble.  Also the difference between you and your chairman losing the head and your manager losing the head is that he is supposed to make important decisions in the heat of the moment and the players on the field should be able to look along the line and see a calm and composed leader who they can trust to make the right calls at the right moments.

Going by your previous posts you obviously have a bee in your bonnet about Poacher...he must have rubbed you up the wrong way at some stage. As I said before we'll be ok.
The Aristocrat Years

whitegoodman

Never met the man, opinion is just based on what I see at football matches,nothing else.  By all accounts he is a great lad away from the football field but its the antics along the line that tend to annoy people.  Anyway I will leave it at that.

Your opinion on him as being the best coach in Down got me thinking about who is the best coach and or manager currently working in Down.  IMO Frank Dawson is the best coach and Jim MCCORRY is the best manager.  I'd also give a mention to Sean Ward who has St Johns performing very competitively against more traditional heavyweights in that division such as Warrenpoint, Shamrocks and the Kingdom.  Not sure who Glenn manager but he certainly in contention for manager of year at minute.

Any other opinions out there?

Brick Tamlin

In fairness how he behaves does leave alot to be desired. Imho its not the way your senior manager should conduct himself when representing the club. Reflects poorly on himself aswell as the club he represents.also a guy in his profession should know better.not the kind of character exemplar to our schoolchildren. But sure he is loved by players everywhere so thats all that matters really.work away.

Brick Tamlin

WGM div 2 is shite. Point are no heavy weights but they will walk both league and championship, kingdom are average and are on par with clutch of teams like ballymartin, st johns, saul etc.Ward doin well and building on last years progress obviously.there arent too many top homegrown coaches/managers in Down in general.a few self made gurus alright but not too many decent talented coaches/managers from what ive seen.bit worrying really.

downjim

Quote from: redandblackareback on June 22, 2014, 09:06:08 PM
Quote from: NP 76 on June 22, 2014, 03:42:51 PM
To be fair Jim people in glass houses and all that! The behaviour of some of the Burren mentors at underage leaves a lot to be desired

Burren underage mentors that consist of Warrenpoint men, Ballymartin men, Crossmaglen men and Newry men to name a few  ;)

And your point being???

supersub

Quote from: downjim on June 21, 2014, 01:40:09 AM
Went to the bridge tonight to see a dour encounter. The home side beating Ballyholland at their own game. Poucher had no decorum at one of his former clubs.
We were lucky to beat a strong saval side midweek. They are a good honest team who are short one or two class players to break into the top four of Down championship teams.
What sort of side did Kilcoo have out v Rgu?
Another good result for Glenn, their defensive system is getting them places but it's really hard to watch and with the majority of teams playing this way it's harder for our classier players to get room to showcase their skills. I fear for the future of the county as I don't see any young players stepping up to the plate.
[/b]

Their defensive system is based around Liam Bagnall, a young, classy player. Their forward play is based around Matty Bagnall and the two Millars, also young and classy players. They kicked some great scores and played very well against Rostrevor on Friday evening. These are prime examples of young players 'stepping up to the plate' so I would disagree with your point entirely.

SHEEDY

downs qualifier match against Leitrim has been fixed for sun29th at 2pm in pairc esler.
nil satis nisi optimum

downjim

Quote from: supersub on June 23, 2014, 08:59:25 AM
Quote from: downjim on June 21, 2014, 01:40:09 AM
Went to the bridge tonight to see a dour encounter. The home side beating Ballyholland at their own game. Poucher had no decorum at one of his former clubs.
We were lucky to beat a strong saval side midweek. They are a good honest team who are short one or two class players to break into the top four of Down championship teams.
What sort of side did Kilcoo have out v Rgu?
Another good result for Glenn, their defensive system is getting them places but it's really hard to watch and with the majority of teams playing this way it's harder for our classier players to get room to showcase their skills. I fear for the future of the county as I don't see any young players stepping up to the plate.
[/b]

What I mean is for the county team. I do not see any new potential county players about.

Their defensive system is based around Liam Bagnall, a young, classy player. Their forward play is based around Matty Bagnall and the two Millars, also young and classy players. They kicked some great scores and played very well against Rostrevor on Friday evening. These are prime examples of young players 'stepping up to the plate' so I would disagree with your point entirely.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 22, 2014, 11:39:24 PM
WGM div 2 is shite. Point are no heavy weights but they will walk both league and championship, kingdom are average and are on par with clutch of teams like ballymartin, st johns, saul etc.Ward doin well and building on last years progress obviously.there arent too many top homegrown coaches/managers in Down in general.a few self made gurus alright but not too many decent talented coaches/managers from what ive seen.bit worrying really.

Sean Ward has done one of the best jobs in Down club football this past two seasons. He's taken St John's from being a lowly Intermediate team to top contenders for senior football.

gaamann

Glenn's promotion from 3 to 1 in consecutive years must surely top anything St Johns have done

downjim

Are the 3 kilcoo boys really missing Sundays game???