Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: pauly2 on October 09, 2012, 05:54:10 PM
Quote from: downup on October 09, 2012, 03:37:47 PM
I would be surprised if Burren went for O'Rourke tbh, he hasn't exactly covered himself with managerial success in the last 10 years. Ward would def be an option tho I don't know if he is experienced enough to take on that role on his own. I agree Burren have a good squad but I dont think they are that far ahead of other teams in the county. I think Frank will be badly missed and it could be to Burrens detriment in the long run.

Ward should get the nod for that role as it was him who masterminded those u21 teams in the last while.  He was working with our neighbours this year and they hold him in high regard - but his home is calling now and im sure he will answer.

This is no way a dig at Ward's managerial capabilities. But to use the word masterminded in context of any club under 21 Championship would be OTT. To use it for Down u21 football, which only one club treats seriously, is mental.

pauly2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2012, 12:06:35 AM
I would be surprised if Burren went for O'Rourke tbh, he hasn't exactly covered himself with managerial success in the last 10 years. Ward would def be an option tho I don't know if he is experienced enough to take on that role on his own. I agree Burren have a good squad but I dont think they are that far ahead of other teams in the county. I think Frank will be badly missed and it could be to Burrens detriment in the long run.

Ward should get the nod for that role as it was him who masterminded those u21 teams in the last while.  He was working with our neighbours this year and they hold him in high regard - but his home is calling now and im sure he will answer.

This is no way a dig at Ward's managerial capabilities. But to use the word masterminded in context of any club under 21 Championship would be OTT. To use it for Down u21 football, which only one club treats seriously, is mental.

Well the U21 championship is there to be won and to win one or two is good going but to win 5 in a row is a serious achievement.  And dont come with that bollox only one team takes it seriously.  Every club takes it serious when they win it.  When they dont - ah sure we only entered it to give the lads football.. LOad of crap.  add into that that burren won 2 ulster championships - but then again maybe they werre the only ones takin it serious in the province.  I know that i would love the town til win a few county titles a this age group to give a good stepping stone for our seniors.  But then we have other sports to contend with.

snoopdog

Quote from: pauly2 on October 10, 2012, 08:19:25 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2012, 12:06:35 AM

Well the U21 championship is there to be won and to win one or two is good going but to win 5 in a row is a serious achievement.  And dont come with that bollox only one team takes it seriously.  Every club takes it serious when they win it.  When they dont - ah sure we only entered it to give the lads football.. LOad of crap.  add into that that burren won 2 ulster championships - but then again maybe they werre the only ones takin it serious in the province.  I know that i would love the town til win a few county titles a this age group to give a good stepping stone for our seniors.  But then we have other sports to contend with.

This is an outsiders opinion of Burren, and i dont live in the county anymore but i follow Down and go to vast majority of their games. I suppose what i am wondering is if Burren are so good and producing such quality at U21 level why are we not seeing this talent come to the fore for the Down senior panel. I have to say apart from McKernan in a few games 2010( i think he would be better in the half forwards) i have not seen anything special from Burren since Shorty Trainor. Just my opinion as an outsider.

Down Mad

Have to say good luck to Aghaderg on Sunday. Its great for players like Marty Fitzpatrick who have given long service to the club over the years. They have lost a lot of good players over the years and it is great that this group can finally have something to shout about. Really hope they can cause an upset. All the best.

plutus

hello everybody,my first post,so first senior final at the weekend any predictions

charlieTully

Quote from: Down Mad on October 10, 2012, 12:47:33 PM
Have to say good luck to Aghaderg on Sunday. Its great for players like Marty Fitzpatrick who have given long service to the club over the years. They have lost a lot of good players over the years and it is great that this group can finally have something to shout about. Really hope they can cause an upset. All the best.

yeah, best of luck to Noel and the Aghaderg boys for Sunday. there will be some session in Tams if they do it.

Square Ball

Quote from: plutus on October 10, 2012, 09:16:46 PM
hello everybody,my first post,so first senior final at the weekend any predictions

Going for Bridge by 3 or 4
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

upthetown2013

Your right Pauly2, we have to compete with the Bobby Dazeller Cup which is a joke.

We should have beat Kilcoo in the quarter final makes me sick thinking about it.

Apparently the word in Kilcoo is they have won it already with men going on the drink this week in Belfast JJ and PD  ;)

Typical Kilcoo cxxky as fxxk

alba2

Shane Mulholland is apparently in as a coach in the new look backroom team.... Interesting to say the least!!!

wildrover

Quote from: upthetown2013 on October 11, 2012, 01:24:59 PM

Your right Pauly2, we have to compete with the Bobby Dazeller Cup which is a joke.

We should have beat Kilcoo in the quarter final makes me sick thinking about it.

Apparently the word in Kilcoo is they have won it already with men going on the drink this week in Belfast JJ and PD  ;)

We put ourselves in a strong position to beat kilcoo...but ultimately can have no qualms that the better team won that night as we completely lost our way in the second half...

It is a good learning curve for our boys though and they can look back on their season satisfactorily (league wins against bryansford, kilcoo, clonduff, saval, bholland, downpatrick and good championship wins over loughanisland and downpatrick)

I'd strongly dispute that Kilcoo believe they have it won, but would imagine they will give themselves a strong chance (and rightly so) even though Mayobridge will go in as favourites...

As for the two guys you have mentioned...physically they look after themselves extremely well so would be very surprised if they were doing anything untoward down in the city...

goldenyears

I can absolutely guarantee that Shane Mulholland is not involved in the Down set up this year. Complete rumour-ville. No foundations at all

dundrumite

Quote from: upthetown2013 on October 11, 2012, 01:24:59 PM

A word that lets people write and make up whatever they want.

downjim

Typical town team who are jealous of their neighbours.them boys.would harly touch a pint. That stuff might happen in other clubs but not kilcoo

thewobbler

Quote from: goldenyears on October 11, 2012, 03:30:26 PM
I can absolutely guarantee that Shane Mulholland is not involved in the Down set up this year. Complete rumour-ville. No foundations at all

I wouldn't be sure GY. I know Mulholland well and I'm pretty sure he's going to be involved.

Pangurban