Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uselessfootballer

Jesus Passedit that was pure wildlooking last night, conditions and all aside that was one of the poorest games of football I've seen in a long time.

St Pauls have gone back considerably from earlier rounds, I was suprised that I only heard you roaring 3 or 4 times, given what was going on around you.

I'm away off to start a wee campagin to the committee to field our U-10s in all remaining fixtures

behind the wire

downpatrick 1:14 clann na banna 2:8

one of the worst displays of refereeing i have ever seen. clann na banna were never going to be allowed to win this match. typical performance from an east down referee. it was a good game of football considering the conditions, we did all we could, worked tirelessly but were only awarded one free kick inside 30 yards the whole night. shocking. need to get a few wins now, heading for trouble fast.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

amallon

Mayobridge 1-11 Burren 1-11
Some decent football played by both sides in this game last night despite the conditions.  Burren shaded the first half the Bridge took the second half.  Burren's keeper Cathal Murdock pulled of two brillant saves to keep Burren in the game in the second half  I was very impressed with him, his kick outs were excellent through out the game.  There were a lot of positives for us and the competition for places is unreal now with 5 county players to come back in its the sort of nightmare every manager wants.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

No1

Quotetypical performance from an east down referee.

Do you mean he was biased towards the East Down team? 

If so, you wanna try playing in a Kilclief jersey in South Down.  I don't know if it's a South Down superiority complex or we are paying for our reputation of 30 years ago but it's beyond a joke at this stage.

boscomo

all referees are crap , all on a power rush
if in doubt eat it

dundrumite

Quote from: boscomo on July 06, 2007, 12:20:43 PM
all referees are crap , all on a power rush

Would have to agree with dow fanatic in saying yer man from an riocht did a fine job in our game as did Burke from Bright in the game against Bredagh the week previous. However there is some truth in the statement that some see their whistle as a tool of power. Who was the ref in the drumgath ardglass game by the way? I believe that is three games that have been called short in division 3 this year. Surely the clubs have to take a greater responsibility in controlling their players and indeed in some cases mentors

behind the wire

can see where you are coming from No1, maybe you feel the same about coming to south down. but some of the decisions last night were shocking. our forwards were fouled on a number of occasions but were only ever given frees if they werent in scoreable positions, i.e. 40 yards out on the sideline. the opposition on the other hand were given frres much much handier which karl oakes was able to slot over for fun (fair play to him, very accurate from frees).

i would rarely criticise a referee as i appreciate the difficulty of their job, especially in last nights conditions. i, like most others, dont mind a referee who is just genuinely poor but its the blatant bias which gets to people. we did our best not to question his decisions but it was hard.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

thewobbler

Similar to our game then Behind the Wire. On a rough countback, i'd say Gary Boyle had 13 attempts at points from dead balls, scoring 7 or 8. The whole night, we had 2 kickable frees. And we dominated midfield for well over half the match. That just doesn't add up.

Throw into the equation that a nearly identical defence conceded only 3 frees inside 45 metres the week before against a more dangerous Saval attack, and it's not difficult to pinpoint where the problem lies.

TORGAEL

Dundrumite, the referee in the Ardglass v Drumgath game was from Saul, but i dont know his name. His abandonment of the game was a farce. Both teams,their management, and supporters, couldnt believe it. He didnt even caution one player for dissent before abandoning the match & his reason for doing so,..... "i was taking too much stick".  Surely the way to deal with that would be to caution players......not abandon the game !

dundrumite

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 05, 2007, 10:15:18 PM

By the way Neil Cousins of An Riocht refereed our game tonight and I have to say he done an excellent job. Common sense can go a long way.

I think that hits the nail on the head, too many refs don't apply common sense to the game.

boscomo

have to agree refs do get a lot of shit from the sidelines from both sides of subs and supporters and in genneral most of them do try and use common sense when officiating games, if i was a ref i would have done an eric cantona years ago, i know the county board are doing all in their power to recruit younger, fitter refs and educate them on the rules and regulations of the game. does an ex player make a better ref?????? would he see the game as he played it i know i would.true there are some BETTER REFS  out there and sure some are poor but they all have the balls to do their job in the middle of 30 blood hungry gaa players and god knows how many physco onlookers. Up Down
boys check out  www.retrogaa.com
if in doubt eat it

DownFanatic

ACFL Division 3 Table

Played     Points
Tullylish           16            24
Bredagh          16            21
Saul                16            21
Bosco             16            20
--------------------------------------------
Dundrum         16            19
Drumgath        15            17
Teconnaught   16            16
Ardglass           15            15
------------------------------------------
Glenn              16            12
Mitchels           16            11
Bright              16             8
St Pauls           16             6

Outstanding Fixture:

Ardglass v Drumgath

Next Set of Fixtures:

Glenn v St Pauls
Teconnaught v Dundrum
Ardglass v Bright
Saul v Bosco
Mitchels v Tullylish
Bredagh v Drumgath

mournerambler

After the display i witnessed in Newry tonight,i think the time has come to do away with this bullshit of starred games.This starring business from what i see only prevents our top players playing competitive football on a regular basis @ club level & this was very evident tonight with players of inter-county standard not being able to make a simple pass or take a score from play.

In the Onion Bag

Strong point Rambler. 
In Tyrone Co Players don't seem to suffer from playing in Tyrone leagues even when close to Co matches.  Is there a lesson here?

Out in Front

Any chance someone could post the results up from last week and the league standings?