Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

McVeigh - solid and brave, getting to grips with the need to pinpoint kickouts
McCartan - what you get from Dan you got _ Fermanagh was not going to test him
McArdle - MOM in my opinion - has nailed down a starting place
O'Hagan - class act - has to stay
Brannigan - got away with that oul Kilcoo thing but he does cover some ground
McKernan - "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" - does nothing for the defensive side of the game.
Garvey - Mayobridge gold - any time any where, the real deal.
King - fits and starts but some great moments
Rodgers - getting back to his imperios best
Hughes - his worst ever game in a Down jersey - glad that's out of the way
Poland - mmmmm - ok - just
Carr - just cannot put in a tackle so do you keep him in just for free-taking????
Laverty - yes a pain in the ass for a defender and a big contributor today, but..look do up lad
O'Hare - impressive debut, no more than I would expect, this is the new "Wee James"
Maginn - nightmare game from a player I rate highly

Coulter, Gordon, Rooney, Doyle  - all have to be confident taht if we progress further they will make this team.
Won by 5 points so don't be churlish - except that we should have won by 15.
Fierce tame altogether

Line Ball

Quote from: The Real Gael on June 02, 2012, 11:15:36 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on June 02, 2012, 08:48:10 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on June 02, 2012, 07:54:47 PM
Interesting discussion here on Dundrum and not a mention of Paul Mc Cumiskey once.  I hear he is doing rightly for Dundrum at the minute but isn't setting the world alight.  To be honest, I can't see him getting back on the county squad and he was really only a bit player like Rony Murtagh for Down.  Both were all buff and blow with no real end product - County forwards need to score and both never were profilic enough to be consistent starters.

Good man yourself Line Ball....Buff and Blow...what does that mean??

A "bit player" for 12 years.

BTW check this out...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2010/0723/268450-sligo_down/

and if you want I'll dig out Murtagh's scoring stats...you dont watch much football obviously.

And line ball is right... Murtagh was a bit part player

"Second-half substitute Ronan Murtagh"

FFS me or you 5 Sams would have scored against Sligo that night and I am long since retired!!

FFS, whats the big problem?  Did I insult either Paul or Rony, question their parentage or make derogatory statements about either of them, NO?  I just said they weren't that great in their time for Down, in my opinion. 

5 Sams, if you are saying that Murtagh's best example of his scoring exploits in 12 years playing for Down was coming on against that powerhouse of Gaelic Football, namely Sligo, and scoring a few points then fair play to him.  I didn't realise he was that good.  Buff and blow, I'm sure you see it every week for Ballyholland.  Beat a man, come back and beat him again, sorry did I beat you already, well then I'll give it a go once again.  This may be fine at club level but invariably I found him the most frustrating player I have seen in a long time.  All buff and blow but little end product!

He may be a mate of yours but take of your 'Murtagh Coloured Glasses.'

DownFanatic

Quote from: Line Ball on June 04, 2012, 12:19:57 AM
Quote from: The Real Gael on June 02, 2012, 11:15:36 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on June 02, 2012, 08:48:10 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on June 02, 2012, 07:54:47 PM
Interesting discussion here on Dundrum and not a mention of Paul Mc Cumiskey once.  I hear he is doing rightly for Dundrum at the minute but isn't setting the world alight.  To be honest, I can't see him getting back on the county squad and he was really only a bit player like Rony Murtagh for Down.  Both were all buff and blow with no real end product - County forwards need to score and both never were profilic enough to be consistent starters.

Good man yourself Line Ball....Buff and Blow...what does that mean??

A "bit player" for 12 years.

BTW check this out...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2010/0723/268450-sligo_down/

and if you want I'll dig out Murtagh's scoring stats...you dont watch much football obviously.

And line ball is right... Murtagh was a bit part player

"Second-half substitute Ronan Murtagh"

FFS me or you 5 Sams would have scored against Sligo that night and I am long since retired!!

FFS, whats the big problem?  Did I insult either Paul or Rony, question their parentage or make derogatory statements about either of them, NO?  I just said they weren't that great in their time for Down, in my opinion. 

5 Sams, if you are saying that Murtagh's best example of his scoring exploits in 12 years playing for Down was coming on against that powerhouse of Gaelic Football, namely Sligo, and scoring a few points then fair play to him.  I didn't realise he was that good.  Buff and blow, I'm sure you see it every week for Ballyholland.  Beat a man, come back and beat him again, sorry did I beat you already, well then I'll give it a go once again.  This may be fine at club level but invariably I found him the most frustrating player I have seen in a long time.  All buff and blow but little end product!

He may be a mate of yours but take of your 'Murtagh Coloured Glasses.'

I don't know if you are on the wind or not but to question McComiskey's contribution to the Down fold is ridiculous.

He has played in three All Ireland Finals. Scored 1-03 in the 2005 Minor Final and ended up the top scorer from play in the 2005 All Ireland Minor series. He then scored 0-04 in the U-21 Final defeat to Cork. Then in the 2010 All Ireland Senior Final he roasted Ray Carey and scored three points in the process. 1-10 in total across three All Ireland Finals is a fine return.

This is not even to mention all the other scores he contributed for the Seniors for the past four or so years. He has also massively contributed to his club while he won a Sigerson playing centre half forward as a Fresher. Murtagh's contribution to our county has also been immense and to be fair you would have him in the current starting XV without hesitation.

Dubh driocht

Mc Cumiskey is a gem and whoever took the mad decision to take him off in the AI final made a bad call-hope to see him back at some stage but think we will need a restorative intervention with James. Murtagh was a great servant for Down and deserves credit not criticism -like John Clarke, we could still do with him but I don't think they would be happy with a panel place.
Not much more to say about yesterday - agree with MR, WGM and, for a change, Leo (mostly - thought Hughes and Maginn did their jobs but overall King is central to our strategy).
Management had a good day - well done to James and the two lads- in contrast to Canavan- no man is ever bigger than the team.
What is the Latin inscription on the collar of the shirt ?

5 Sams

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 04, 2012, 02:22:28 PM
Mc Cumiskey is a gem and whoever took the mad decision to take him off in the AI final made a bad call-hope to see him back at some stage but think we will need a restorative intervention with James. Murtagh was a great servant for Down and deserves credit not criticism -like John Clarke, we could still do with him but I don't think they would be happy with a panel place.
Not much more to say about yesterday - agree with MR, WGM and, for a change, Leo (mostly - thought Hughes and Maginn did their jobs but overall King is central to our strategy).
Management had a good day - well done to James and the two lads- in contrast to Canavan- no man is ever bigger than the team.
What is the Latin inscription on the collar of the shirt ?

http://www.destinationnewry.com/news/New-Down-motto-on-jersey-collars
The Aristocrat Years

NP 76

Just on yesterdays game i thought one man who always gets plenty of stick on here Daniel Mc Cartan was immense, He won every ball that went in near him even when it was 15 on 15. He then played sweeper and was in front of our full back at all times and not running about lost . He always was in the right place which although Fermanagh were poor this does not mean he had nothing to do.We have had others play this role who go wandering and leave the last line exposed . Fair play to all the lads yesterday they had a job to do and they went and done it against a team that were on a good run.

Feckitt

Does Ballyholland v Longstone in the championship clash with Ireland v Somebody in the Euros?

5 Sams

Quote from: Feckitt on June 06, 2012, 11:48:18 AM
Does Ballyholland v Longstone in the championship clash with Ireland v Somebody in the Euros?

Harps V Stone is at 7pm.

Ireland V Croatia is at 7 45pm.

We tried to get the game changed but the Croatians were having none of it ;)
The Aristocrat Years

whitegoodman

Is the prediction league for championship not happening this year??

umpire

DownFanatic

Did you get my PM to you?

ardtole

I presume the Down v Monaghan will be in Armagh, does anyone know if this has been confirmed or has an altenative venue been proposed?

DownFanatic

Quote from: whitegoodman on June 06, 2012, 07:39:56 PM
Is the prediction league for championship not happening this year??

Lad, was PMing Umpire there. Im going to start up a Championship Predicition Comp on another thread now.

Lecale2

Quote from: ardtole on June 06, 2012, 08:49:49 PM
I presume the Down v Monaghan will be in Armagh, does anyone know if this has been confirmed or has an altenative venue been proposed?

No news yet. It could be Casement.

paddymcg115

I am thinking of doing a decent bet on the Down club championship this weekend.
I have been looking at recent years championship, traditions and league status.
Would I be right in saying Bryansford and Kilcoo are near dead certs this weekend.
I also fancy Longstone, Saval and Clonduff strongly at decent prices.  What are peoples thoughts on these three teams in particular or is there any 1 of them less certain than the other.
Opinions greatly appreciated

dundrumite

Quote from: paddymcg115 on June 07, 2012, 12:58:17 PM
I am thinking of doing a decent bet on the Down club championship this weekend.
I have been looking at recent years championship, traditions and league status.
Would I be right in saying Bryansford and Kilcoo are near dead certs this weekend.
I also fancy Longstone, Saval and Clonduff strongly at decent prices.  What are peoples thoughts on these three teams in particular or is there any 1 of them less certain than the other.
Opinions greatly appreciated

Rostrevor clonduff should be tight.. Where you getting these odds?