Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundrumite

Quote from: Line Ball on June 02, 2012, 07:54:47 PM
Interesting discussion here on Dundrum and not a mention of Paul Mc Cumiskey once.  I hear he is doing rightly for Dundrum at the minute but isn't setting the world alight.  To be honest, I can't see him getting back on the county squad and he was really only a bit player like Rony Murtagh for Down.  Both were all buff and blow with no real end product - County forwards need to score and both never were profilic enough to be consistent starters.

Three all Ireland finals 1-10 total.

5 Sams

Interesting discussion here on Dundrum and not a mention of Paul Mc Cumiskey once.  I hear he is doing rightly for Dundrum at the minute but isn't setting the world alight.  To be honest, I can't see him getting back on the county squad and he was really only a bit player like Rony Murtagh for Down.  Both were all buff and blow with no real end product - County forwards need to score and both never were profilic enough to be consistent starters.

Good man yourself Line Ball....Buff and Blow...what does that mean??

A "bit player" for 12 years.

BTW check this out...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2010/0723/268450-sligo_down/

and if you want I'll dig out Murtagh's scoring stats...you dont watch much football obviously.
The Aristocrat Years

Mid Down Gael

We haven't 6 better forwards than Ronan and Paul lining out tomorrow. They would have been 2 very useful talents to have. While Paul choose to sit it out, Ronan has got a raw deal from the current management. Their commitment and performances for Down shouldn't be questioned.

The Real Gael

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 02, 2012, 08:48:10 PM

Good man yourself Line Ball....Buff and Blow...what does that mean??

A "bit player" for 12 years.

BTW check this out...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2010/0723/268450-sligo_down/

and if you want I'll dig out Murtagh's scoring stats...you dont watch much football obviously.

And line ball is right... Murtagh was a bit part player

"Second-half substitute Ronan Murtagh"

FFS me or you 5 Sams would have scored against Sligo that night and I am long since retired!!

DaisyCutter

Jesus were abit harsh on Paul and Ronan here the night lads. I definitely believe that Paul and Ronan would add alot to our panel, even if it's from the bench. Why does everyone rate a forward by how much they score per game? I rate a forward by how many assists they get in a game and not by what there score tally is. Just look at Conor Laverty for example.... Dosnt score alot but causes havoc in teams defences and also works back to clear balls of the line (vs Clare to keep us in the championship).

Paul and Ronan have these characteristics aswell by setting up alot of scoring opportunities and if were treated right by our management, they would both be on the bus tomorrow.

supersub

Quote from: DaisyCutter on June 01, 2012, 10:10:25 PM
Best game of the evening was in Burren between themselves and Kilcoo in the Div 1 ACPRFL. Burren won by 4 points where the scoreline was 3-6 to 2-5 in a very entertaining and physical game. Surely the quality of the top 4 teams in this division would easily cope with Division 2 football from what I've seen of both leagues this year. Great open football from both sides with excellent score taking. Frank Dawson and Jim McCorry managing both sides respectively. Great advert for Down football, where no defensive systems were in place. Pity Div 1 games wernt played like this.

R u serious? If any PR teams were in div 2, they would be playing on a Friday night the same as div 1 which would take away from the depth of talent the reserved could call on. Don't forget a senior outfit would need 20+ players for their squad on the same night so the reserves would be severely weakened. In any case they would find it quite and difficult to finish the top half of div 2!

T O Hare

It is easy to sit behind a screen and slag fellas who have gave so much to Down football. Ronan Murtagh was an excellent servant for Down and I would have him as the most consistent player in Down football over the last ten years after Benny. McComiskey made an excellent corner forward and had a brilliant all-Ireland final who should not have been substituted!
On the subject of premier reserve football, there are times when games can be like senior football but the real guage at this level is premier reserve championship. If clubs were allowed to enter second teams in the county leaguues I would say that four or five division one sides would have seconds team playing  division three football.
Good luck to all involved today!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DaisyCutter

whitegoodman

Very average, did what they had to do and all that is what will be said.

Mcveigh didn't have much to do but was very brave when he had to be.  Full back line were good, Garvey and mcardle especially, McCartan did rightly as mostly the spare man.

O hagan was most impressive of half backs, bags of energy, bags of guts and plenty of talent. Brannigan could have a ban on the way.

Midfield were in and out although the move to put king inside confused me as they started losing out in the middle when he went in and he suited Owens down to the ground whereas Donal ohare was giving him plenty of trouble.

Half forward line were poor including maginn. Could have taken all 4 off, big improvements required there.

When they got the ball into laverty and ohare early they gave Fermanagh a lot of trouble but most of our lads out the field (mckernan, Hughes, Poland, maginn, Carr, brannigan) are far too keen on owning the ball.

Overall a lot of improvements required for Monaghan but its a game we could ans should win.

Another thing to annoy me, Arthur mcconville doing the parade and then coming off, no need for it and I hope the county board get fined heavily for it. How does it make arthur feel, a bit humiliating and a bit disheartening. U wouldn't see Brian cody or mickey Harte at that nonsense. Who were they trying to kid anyway??

EagleLord

Strange alright, I've heard of late changes to line-ups but surely thats takin the piss, the latest change ever! And then when he started subbing players on, ye would have thought Arthur would have been one of the first men to come on in the forward line. Also thought it was strange to have kept Maginn on the whole game, he just looked a bit tired late on and took a couple of heavy hits.

Minus15

Pretty sure that Arthur and Laverty switched pre-throw in and also 100% sure that Arthur would have been aware of this all along!

Line Ball

Quote from: Minus15 on June 03, 2012, 10:44:04 PM
Pretty sure that Arthur and Laverty switched pre-throw in and also 100% sure that Arthur would have been aware of this all along!

Why would they change when both were meant to start?

whitegoodman

It was ohare and mcconville who switched and it was after the parade just before the throw in.

Why do it? What's the point? Why can't we just name the team that's gonna start and stop the f**king about.

Line Ball

Kickouts from Mc Veigh were better placed than normal.  Maybe the pressure knowing that James will change him with Harrison if he messes up.
Mc Ardle was as good as I have seen him, strong on the ball and used it well.  Darren O'Hagan had a very good game, full of energy and always there for the man in possession Dan hadn't a lot to do and sweeping suited him well.
Garvey was tight and strong throughout.  Mc Kernan was his usual self, not content with the simple pass and looking to do his own thing but still did well.  Choc never stopped running, covered some ground and should have had a goal in the first half.
Midfield was efficient but less than spectacular – I suppose the way it has to be.
Our half forward line was disappointing.  Carr ponderous and missed some easy frees.  Hughes played very defensively and never a threat going forward.  Poland was effective without being spectacular but quiet all the same.
Maginn wasn't great and didn't contribute a lot.  O'Hare was very dangerous throughout, always showing for the ball, busy and a real handful - stand out player in the championship last year.  Laverty, my MOM.  Such energy. He never stopped running, tackling, showing, tracking, scoring – what more could you want from a player.  And at 3' 2" and 6st, he is some target man!

We've a long way to go but at least we have gotten over this banana skin.

Pangurban

Lots to work on, poor shooting, a couple of silly defensive errors, but overall a fairly composed performance giving the low intensity of the opposition. Work rate good throughout the team, particularly the FF line where Lavery was magnificent, MOTM by a country mile. HF line disappointing but it was that sort of game, where there was little room to be creative. A good beginning but we all know sterner tests await, and we never going to get any plaudits for beating Fermanagh