Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superblues

Quote from: alba2 on April 16, 2012, 09:31:51 PM
well he is one of only a few.  I heard a certain referee walked off the pitch last week when  a team was few minutes late turning up for the game as they got lost.  The referee just jumped in his car and left.  No need for that when its underage.  Should get no games for a month for his "im in control" attitude.
On another note - Bridge had big result tonight.  That should straighten them out after last fridays effort.  Better team play in terrible conditions left them with the points at the end of the game.  Bridge looked more balanced tonight.
the whole team did not get lost there was 10 players on the pitch and two car loads were lost the two car loads pulled into the pitch and the referee still left i also heard the same referee called a game off on a differant occasion because the grass was too long on a pitch

here comes 6

Name the ref and stop beating around the bush

dundrumite

Quote from: The Marshes on April 17, 2012, 10:01:02 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on April 16, 2012, 09:18:48 PM
Quote from: TheClutch on April 16, 2012, 09:07:08 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on April 16, 2012, 08:44:58 PM
Even though he appears to have put in the wrong result I must compliment the display of the referee Gavin Finnegan, one of the best displays I have seen from a man in black in a long time. He handled the game very well, always talking to the players letting them know exactly why a free was given as opposed to some of the so called better refs who talk to adult players like children.

Believe it or not i actually agree with you one this one referee. Pity the rest of the referees in the county aren't up to his standard.

Gavin Finnegan was absolutely brilliant tonight. A common sense referee who actually informs players why he has given a free against them. He also smartly allowed advantage when it was needed. No showman antics, no ball licking the players and no ego. Exactly the type of referee we need coming into our games in Down.

Good to see positive comments about referees; however, what was the ref doing to tell the players why the free was given? Was it hand signals or talking to them? Is this the guy from An Riocht?

Does it really make that big of difference?? He did both. Yes An Riocht

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

The Marshes

Quote from: dundrumite on April 17, 2012, 11:28:29 PM
Even though he appears to have put in the wrong result I must compliment the display of the referee Gavin Finnegan, one of the best displays I have seen from a man in black in a long time. He handled the game very well, always talking to the players letting them know exactly why a free was given as opposed to some of the so called better refs who talk to adult players like children.

Believe it or not i actually agree with you one this one referee. Pity the rest of the referees in the county aren't up to his standard.

Gavin Finnegan was absolutely brilliant tonight. A common sense referee who actually informs players why he has given a free against them. He also smartly allowed advantage when it was needed. No showman antics, no ball licking the players and no ego. Exactly the type of referee we need coming into our games in Down.

Good to see positive comments about referees; however, what was the ref doing to tell the players why the free was given? Was it hand signals or talking to them? Is this the guy from An Riocht?

Does it really make that big of difference?? He did both. Yes An Riocht.

It does.

Finnegan is an OK referee but he is a bit of a showboat from the occasions I have seen him

dundrumite

Quote from: The Marshes on April 18, 2012, 08:43:20 AM
Quote from: dundrumite on April 17, 2012, 11:28:29 PM

Does it really make that big of difference?? He did both. Yes An Riocht.

It does.
Finnegan is an OK referee but he is a bit of a showboat from the occasions I have seen him

Insightful answer.

Then we may have to agree to disagree based on our experiences. Didn't want a saga, just to make a point of praising a ref because they usually are (rightly or wrongly) lamblasted on this. Nothing to see here, move her on.

Line Ball

Lurker here for a while!  Decided to bite the bullet.

I have seen Finnegan yet but it wouldn't be hard to be much better than the bunch of tubes who already destroy referee our games.

Burren v Clonduff tonight, can't see much other than a win for the Burren men.

The Marshes

Welcome Line Ball

Staying on the subject of refs did anyone hear of the U16 game recently in Warrenpoint (v Downpatrick)?

It was abandoned after a parent of one of the Downpatrick lads assaulted the ref at half time. I hear the man got a 96 week ban.

amallon

The championship draw is on tomorrow night. Hard to see past Kilcoo or Burren. It's being done live again on destination newry at 8.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Square Ball

Quote from: amallon on April 18, 2012, 06:43:03 PM
The championship draw is on tomorrow night. Hard to see past Kilcoo or Burren. It's being done live again on destination newry at 8.
with all the teams in this time? :)
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

whitegoodman

Quote from: amallon on April 18, 2012, 06:43:03 PM

Not if u seen burren tonight....

Line Ball

Naomh Pol CLG

Some result that for Hilltown!

alba2

Not really that much of a shock to be honest.  Burren wallking about with their heads in the clouds after they beat the bridge thinking thier season is complete.  Its hard to beat a bit of hard work and in your face tactics against the so called bigger teams to bring them down a peg or two.  Fair play to Clonduff - two wins from two games with a limited panel.

The Real Gael

Quote from: alba2 on April 19, 2012, 08:19:22 AM
Not really that much of a shock to be honest.  Burren wallking about with their heads in the clouds after they beat the bridge thinking thier season is complete.  Its hard to beat a bit of hard work and in your face tactics against the so called bigger teams to bring them down a peg or two.  Fair play to Clonduff - two wins from two games with a limited panel.

dont make me laugh - Clonduff with a limited panel  ::) any club that can field 3 senior football teams and hurling doesnt have a limited panel. Will be interesting to see if Tony Wilson can cut it at the highest level, he was quite successful with Banbridge but this is a bigger test