Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on February 01, 2012, 01:20:25 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 01, 2012, 12:29:20 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on February 01, 2012, 12:09:23 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on January 31, 2012, 11:38:23 PM
Costello must have come on leaps and bounds in the past few years. He never really stood out at club level from what I seen in the past.
Think some lads are gettin carried away with Costello. He was took off at half time against cross and was second to every ball directed to Jamie Clarke who was living of scraps due to the gale force wind cross played against in the first half. He is a long way off being an inter county defender IMO.

Would of thought that myself. He doesn't really stand out for Bredagh in club football.

Guess who is going to have a stormer against Dundrum then this year.......Good work DF  :P

We will be lucky if we get within 15 points of Bredagh this year. They will absolutely obliterate everyone in Division 4.

dundrumite

Quote from: ardtole on February 01, 2012, 01:38:37 PM
Does anyone have any idea when the fixture list for the season ahead is released and when the leagues are due to start.

Heard something about div 4 starting end of March, but will be taking that with a pinch of salt until official confirmation.

Square Ball

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 01, 2012, 01:50:10 PM
Costello must have come on leaps and bounds in the past few years. He never really stood out at club level from what I seen in the past.
Think some lads are gettin carried away with Costello. He was took off at half time against cross and was second to every ball directed to Jamie Clarke who was living of scraps due to the gale force wind cross played against in the first half. He is a long way off being an inter county defender IMO.

Would of thought that myself. He doesn't really stand out for Bredagh in club football.

Guess who is going to have a stormer against Dundrum then this year.......Good work DF  :P

We will be lucky if we get within 15 points of Bredagh this year. They will absolutely obliterate everyone in Division 4.
I will be happy to get promoted
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

dundrumite

Quote from: Square Ball on February 01, 2012, 04:32:48 PM

Would of thought that myself. He doesn't really stand out for Bredagh in club football.U

I will be happy to get promoted

Ditto

onefaircounty

Costello is a good, steady defender, i'd say he is worth a look at in the League.

Minus15

Ah the mind games have begun already in the minefield that is Div 4.

Hearing myself that leagues 3 and 4 may start earlier this year but nothing confirmed yet.

whitegoodman

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 01, 2012, 11:04:14 AM
I presume the team suggestions above are referring to Aiden Brannignan in defence. If that is so what do people make of some of the other players who were given an opportunity (and I thought did not too bad) in the McKenna cup:

Niall Brannigan - Not ReadyDamian Turley - MaybeNiall McParland - Not Ready
Would any of these players be in with a shout?

Also what is the story with Connor McGinn, is he injured?

McGinn due back from injury in March I think.

regulator

Quote from: Minus15 on February 01, 2012, 09:38:24 PM

Ah the mind games have begun already in the minefield that is Div 4.

Hearing myself that leagues 3 and 4 may start earlier this year but nothing confirmed yet.

Think Costello came off at half time against Cross because of the Sigerson match that was on tonite.

whitegoodman

NP or anyone else at the match, how did the down boys go for queens tonight ??

NP 76

Was at the match last night WGM . Queens had their chances but Maynooth a better team effort by every single player won out in the end . Costello did a good marking job on one of their top forwards but didnt venture to far forward . Timmy Hanna did very well in the first half up and down the field and seemed to be involved in all of Queens attacks but did tire badly in the 2nd half . Donal O Hare tried hard but missed 2 goal chances which he could of done better with . He missed a couple of frees at the end but they werent that handy to be honest . He also shipped a very heavy knock on an already sore shoulder . Jamie o Reily was non existint i was very dissapointed in him . Sorry for the delay in getting a reply to you WGM

Square Ball

1    Brendan McVeigh
2    Owen Costello
3    Daniel McCartan
4    Keith Quinn
5    Aiden Branigan
6    Liam Doyle
7    Niall McParland
8    Peter Turley
9    Timmy Hanna
10    Daniel Hughes
11    Aidan Carr
12    Dan Gordan
13    Marcus Miskelly
14    Conor Laverty
15    Brendan Coulter

Team to face Donegal. taken from the Down site
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mourne Rover

Our first league game is always important but the fact that we only have two more home matches in division one - against Kerry and Dublin - means it is more or less essential that we get something from tonight's fixture.

James has shown a fair amount of imagination with his selection, given the number of absentees, but it is not ideal that he has three league debuts in the defence alongside Daniel, who is out of position at full back, Brannigan, who has not always convinced at this level, and Doyle, who has only played a handful of games over the last five years due to injury. However, the three new boys are all decent prospects and the entire defence may be marking space rather than opponents for much of the evening.

Hanna can be expected to provide the extra defender, and, while it is great to see big Dan back in the middle, the question is how long he will be able to stay there.

Presumably Benny will roam to leave a full forward line of Laverty and Miskelly which has more pace than size, and we will probably rely heavily on Hughes and Carr to keep us going. There are also a few decent options on the bench, so hopefully, with our record under the Newry lights, we can edge a win.

Leo

Think you have it right MR and Hanna will provide cover behind the midfield of Turley & Gordon. I'd rather see Benny hovvering around the square than falling deep to look for the ball; expect to see a lot of carrying from Hughes tonight. And yes, the defence is emerging as a space-marking unit rather than man-marking so Dan's frailities less likley to be exposed - at least until we meet the likes of Dublin or Kerry.
Two points essential tonight.
Fierce tame altogether

Mid Down Gael

Vital 2 points gained last night against a Donegal team who struggled without Murphy and McFaddan. Considering we where without many of last years side we can be happy to get the win. The defensive nature of the football may have been hard on the eye but it was always going to be difficult for our forwards to make an impact against a packed defence. For Down I thought Liam Doyle was superb, just hoping he stays injury fee. Peter Turley had a steady game in midfield, great work rate from the RGU player. Laverty had another great game While Brannigan had one of his better games for Down. Our defence will get greater tests in this division, while I think we could do with a couple of stronger men up front, stil require Murtagh inside, stil a much better option than Brady or Miskelly.

whitegoodman

Agree with most of this, Doyle was a class act, Turley had a horse of a game, got through some work and was surprisingly good on the ball and Lavery worked himself into the ground.  Brannigan, although took his points very well seemed to end up the spare man which is not idea in the opposition half.

Positives - Doyle, Turley and Lavery.  I can see what we are trying to do with the deep lying playmaker but I just fear if  oppostion played 6 on 6 and Doyle came up against a fast player like the Dublin 11 last night.

Also good to see Garvey and G McCartan back.

Negatives - Benny didnt have a great outing, lets hope it was a one off as we look toothless in attack without him. 

Dan was crowded out at midfield and if any other opposition looks at last night thats exactly the tactics they will use on him.  His lack of raw aggression ala Ambrose is always going to hold him back when up against this type of tactic.

Ambrose looked a mile off the pace when he came on which is understandable but we could do with him coming good sooner rather than later.

Keith Quinn did alright but is raw and like a few of our boys is always on the edge, I like his aggression though.