Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof91and94

Chaff is a weakness to the cause and McGuigan, Turley, Sweeney, Toner and McGourty are testament to this.

Has anybody seen a County selector at a club game this season?

Brick Tamlin

to be honest i have seen a few selectors at games, the manager himself on at least 2 occasions, maybe its just me.
so would you replace these guys with anyone else in the county or do we just lose the "chaff" as you put it.

redandblackjack

Spirit, name all these all stars you seem to think that are out there.....
Do you realistically think you can turn 20 big men into county footballers? You would be back to square one with our full back line especially!
The county isn't blessed with an abundance of good footballers who also have a physical presence.
To be fair to Declan Rooney, he had a better ulster championship than, Grant and Clarke- who are two of our more experienced 'stars', and are some peoples automatic starters because of past glories!

Bacon

Quote from: Square Ball on June 12, 2007, 11:15:34 PM

Bacon, where you in Cherryvale tonight?
Do you know me Square Ball?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

passedit

Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2007, 01:27:09 PM
The only stipulation that prevents a player competing in the PRFC is if they played in any of the Down SFC, IFC or JFC during either the previous season or this season. They could have played for Down last season, or have played in the Armagh SFC, but neither would rule the player out.

There is a further stipulation for the RFC, in that if a club has 3 teams, then players can't have played in any of the Down SFC, IFC, JFC or PRFC during either the previous season or this season.

Wobbler could you point me to the official rule/communication on this. That has always been my understanding but in the County Competition section of the down rules it states the following:
Quote6. Where Clubs run a second or "B" team under the same affiliation in Divisional competitions, they shall supply an extra list to the Divisional Registrar, indicating on the list at least thirteen players, approved by the Committee in charge of the competitions, who shall not be eligible to play for the "B" team in any year. This list must not be changed after the 30th June of that year. If any Club has two or more players of the same name, they must submit the full names and full addresses should any of these players be included on any 'Excluded List'.

This is fairly ambiguous but as it appears in the county competitions section i'd prefer to be 100%. Paranoia is an awful thing.
Don't Panic

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 13, 2007, 11:03:28 AM
to be honest i have seen a few selectors at games, the manager himself on at least 2 occasions, maybe its just me.
so would you replace these guys with anyone else in the county or do we just lose the "chaff" as you put it.

Brick, going on Bryansford games this season - anytime Stevie Toner was released by Down to play he was abysmal. Luke Howard on his current form would be a better corner back than Stevie or Kevin McGuigan, he also won a sigerson with Queens and didnt let James down over that weekend!
This is what I see on a weekly basis and I am sure there are other clubs with similar situations. It is also worth noting that Conor Gribben was approached to return to the panel prior to Cavan but declined as he was so harshly treated when the 34 was picked.
Dont get me wrong it is not any players fault but I am expressing points as I see fit.

Square Ball

Quote from: Bacon on June 13, 2007, 12:31:27 PM

No not really, I was in Cherryvale last night chewing the fat while watching a hurling match, I think you are associated with the away team, and someone shouted "Bacon, get in the middle" well thats the edited version and in you (big assumptiion) trotted, a few other shouts of bacon over the remaining half, so, ido 1+1=You?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

AnDunYeGo

Spirit , not all players need to be 5'10 or above,ye wouldnt want some 6'4 fella markin a nippy corner forward look at your boy Gavin Barry from the bridge. hes a super player , could have used him at corner back on sunday!!

thewobbler

Can't do anything more for you passedit. I got the current Runai to spell it out that way for me last year, as I was pondering playing Paul Murphy in the RFC (as it turned out, he wasn't fit).

Any word of which club players on the sumer exodus Stateside? For the first time in a number of years, it looks like we're getting off scot free.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: AnDunYeGo on June 13, 2007, 07:56:40 PM
Spirit , not all players need to be 5'10 or above,ye wouldnt want some 6'4 fella markin a nippy corner forward look at your boy Gavin Barry from the bridge. hes a super player , could have used him at corner back on sunday!!

Yeah, I remember him giving a sterling display in Omagh in 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lecale2

Quote from: Square Ball on June 13, 2007, 07:20:42 PM

No not really, I was in Cherryvale last night chewing the fat while watching a hurling match, I think you are associated with the away team, and someone shouted "Bacon, get in the middle" well thats the edited version and in you (big assumptiion) trotted, a few other shouts of bacon over the remaining half, so, ido 1+1=You?
I was in Ballygalget last week and someone shouted "Square Ball!". Does that mean you were in Ballygalget?  ;)

Bacon

:D :D :D
Very good Lecale!

Square Ball - I wasn't in Cherryvale on Tuesday but there's a young lad plays for Ballycran who's known as Bacon. I think he's still a minor so not exactly within my age range!  ;)
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Square Ball

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 14, 2007, 09:29:08 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on June 13, 2007, 07:20:42 PM

I was in Ballygalget last week and someone shouted "Square Ball!". Does that mean you were in Ballygalget?  ;)

:D
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

tone

Quote from: thewobbler on June 13, 2007, 09:38:44 PM
Can't do anything more for you passedit. I got the current Runai to spell it out that way for me last year, as I was pondering playing Paul Murphy in the RFC (as it turned out, he wasn't fit).

Any word of which club players on the sumer exodus Stateside? For the first time in a number of years, it looks like we're getting off scot free.

I dont tink so wobbler, as I hear Paul McComisky is going to America

Cloc Mor

How could you fault any young lad, especially students, going to the States for the Summer.  Most have been playing non stop for some time now and need a break.  This is a wonderful chance before they go into full time work.  Hell, how can you blame any member of the Down subs bench from going stateside after Sunday, student or not?  They may be a loss to their clubs but these lads have a life.  Their only young once - let them go.