Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto-Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 11, 2007, 11:02:02 PM
If a player is listed in the club's Top 13 but didnt play in last year's Intermediate Championship for the Senior team can he play in this years Reserve Championship?

DF, I'd be virtually certain that Top13 applies to the leagues only and the ruling on championship games is that a player can't take part in a championship level lower than that in which he participated in the previous season. In a given season a player can play in a higher c'ship grade after taking part in a lower one during that same season. He would then be ruled out of any remaining games for the lower grade for that season and the following. The same rules apply to a player transferring between clubs.

So in summary the answer is that the player can play in the PRFC this season (as long as he didn't transfer in from elsewhere having player senior, intermediate, junior) - now does that help or just make me a sad b**   ;D

6th sam

Agree with statto-gael,that would be my  interpretation of the rules,but it brings up a another question about rules surrounding reserves.
Do our rules re reserves,restrict clubs from getting the best out of this level.
Personally ,I feel  reserves should be primarily about developing fringe players,or for players coming back from injury-and I feel the current top 13 rule does not optimise the potential usefulness of a reserve squad.Top 13 unnecessarily restricts the reserve team manager.
My opinion is that the reserves should be similar to soccer reserves,where any player can play for the reserves.Say for example a player is struggling for confidence in the senior team on a friday night ,and the senior team manager decides he could do with a run in the reserves,or indeed a senior player returning from injury,trying to get up to speed-They should be able to play for the reserves.
My point is,that reserves should not be overvalued as a competition in it's own right-the reserves should primarily be a stepping stone for those with the ambition to play senior--with the numbers made up by your recreational footballers.
There would also be scope in some clubs to field a totally recreational 3rds team-to keep players who can not commit to training involved.
I think that much like our senior club leagues,reserves and other levels need to be looked at to see how we can get the most out of them.

thewobbler

The only stipulation that prevents a player competing in the PRFC is if they played in any of the Down SFC, IFC or JFC during either the previous season or this season. They could have played for Down last season, or have played in the Armagh SFC, but neither would rule the player out.

There is a further stipulation for the RFC, in that if a club has 3 teams, then players can't have played in any of the Down SFC, IFC, JFC or PRFC during either the previous season or this season.

DownFanatic

Thanks for the replies. Ive got the jist of it now.

Lecale2

Are all the game going ahead tonight after the heavy rain?
Cherryvale should be fine for the visit of Ballycran and the Shamrocks/Ballela game was already off. Any word of the rest?

Tuesday 12th June 7:30pm

Democrat Media Hurling Leagues

Div One

Shamrocks v Ballela

Portaferry v Liatroim

Kilclief v Ballygalget

Div Two

Castlewellan v Portaferry

Ballygalget v Warrenpoint

Bredagh v Ballycran

Clonduff v Ballyvarley

goldenyears

did dpk beat shamrocks in newry last night?

Lecale2

ACHL Div 2
Bredagh 6-11 4-06 Ballycran
Castlewellan w/o v Portaferry - D/F
Clonduff 1-07 3-14 Ballyvarley
Ballygalget beat warrenpoint

DownFanatic

Goldenyears, Downpatrick beat Shamrocks 0-13 to 0-08 and from what I hear they were all over them.

Whitehair

Thats a very good win for Ballyvarley, they had Sean Kennedy sent off  ::), the lad must have been sent off 10 times in the last 3-4 years!

Lecale2

Quote from: Whitehair on June 12, 2007, 10:59:42 PM
the lad must have been sent off 10 times in the last 3-4 years!
I know!  :-\

Square Ball

has he ever been sent off by anyone on this board?

Bacon, where you in Cherryvale tonight?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mourne Rover

Having now woken up on both Monday and Tuesday morning and found that it had not been a bad dream and we really were out of the Ulster Championship, I think we have to start a debate about our next starting 15. Fair play to Monaghan, who were probably just about the better side on the day and will give Derry plenty to think about, but even one win in the qualifers would give us something concrete to build on for next year. If Ambrose, Doyle and Rafferty became available ( any word on Eoin McCartan ?) they should all go straight in.  Here's my team if we had to play tomorrow.

1.McVeigh - can't be blamed for either goal but could not vary his kick-outs as he did against Cavan. A tight call with Connell.
2.McCartan - has his critics, but never misses a tackle and was missed against Monaghan.
3.Scullion - a strong physical presence, as long as he does not give away frees, and allows Rooney to move out.
4. Cole - still our most reliable defender.
5. Rooney - his natural position.
6. Grant - while he can go a sound job, he is really covering for Doyle's return.
7. Murtagh - two good games in defence, one ordinary, worth another go.
8. Murphy - not a fielder but an outstanding link man.
9. Gordan - playing great football, and will do even better if he finds a ref who will favour the player who takes catches
10.  Sexton - doing an excellent job dropping back.
11. Carr - Brendan Behan had the right idea about the begrudgers, and he just needs a couple of scores from play.
12.  Kearney - will have to drop as deep as Sexton, but has the pace and the ability.
13. Hughes - by no means an automatic choice after the Cavan draw and Monaghan defeat, and must find space in the half forwards,
14. Coulter - while he worked very hard against Monaghan, he must deliver scores or switch out the field.
15. McComiskey - his time has come.

In the happy event of a full squad, it would be Rafferty for McCartan, Doyle for Grant, and Ambrose to midfield with Murphy replacing Hughes. Any thoughts ?

spiritof91and94

I am not convinced on Rooney as a player never mind a leader!
Down need to forget about the small men men and find 20 players 5'10" plus who can be coached to work as one unit.
James Colgan needs to return to defence irrespective of his quarrel with Ross / DJ (if any).
Also the panel has alot of 'chaff' on it and it needs overhauled asap, has anybody seen a County selector at a club game this season - I certainly havent. They need to get out there to see what player is doing it at the minute at club level and take it from there - plenty of club games this weekend to start with. Friday / Saturday (kilcoo v bryansford changed to 5.30) and Monday.....

Brick Tamlin

If you will, please enlighten us as to who the chaff on the panel is/are. Not entirely disagreeing with your points but just interested to know what better replacements in the county we have. If losing a few games and learning the harder way is in the long term goin to improve or develop some of the younger defenders in Down then im willing to wait and see. Just dont think we are blessed with outstanding defenders in county but our failings largely are more due to system of play than personnel

Stranworst