Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 03, 2014, 12:02:03 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 02, 2014, 11:43:24 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2014, 10:52:27 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 10:46:22 PM
Or maybe doesn't live in Ireland any more? Don't be so sarky.

Look he's been looking down his nose giving his expert analysis from here say and TV coverage. It's a different story being at a Match!

listen laddie, even living abroad I've probably been at more matches than you over the years, and that includes good days and bad ..including coming home for club matches so you can f**k right off with that attitude.

My apologies, I just assumed you were a lazy armchair follower! Being abroad is a decent excuse for not going to the Match. Apologies again for my assumption!

accepted.

Lets just leave it. What is done is done.

theticklemister

There has been about 30 pages of shite being written here since the reply.

Syferus

Quote from: theticklemister on September 03, 2014, 12:19:18 AM

And people were complaining about the thread only being at 12 pages a week and a half ago.

larryin89

We have no choice but to leave it Mike. Thats the way it works , its part of competitive sport, the bigger more traditional winning teams get the decisions .

There is no doubt in my mind we have left this one behind us though and thats leaving aside all complaints against officials, venue for replay etc.

All we had to do was keep ye out for a goal the first day, Donaghy with the same one dimensional tactical play not alone created the goal the first day but was let dictate for the replay after we get ample warning. ( i mean ffs it happened 8 fu ck ing years ago too) Sometimes i wonder are we for real at all. Still nobody can give me a half reasonable answer as to why a bigger man wasnt tried on him even if it was after 20 mins of trying Caff id understand . Cant fathom it all man, its beyond me.What was there to lose , caff was getting murdered
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: theticklemister on September 03, 2014, 12:19:18 AM

Don t recall anybody replying to your earlier attempt to piss people off.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: larryin89 on September 03, 2014, 12:28:21 AM
We have no choice but to leave it Mike. Thats the way it works , its part of competitive sport, the bigger more traditional winning teams get the decisions .

There is no doubt in my mind we have left this one behind us though and thats leaving aside all complaints against officials, venue for replay etc.

All we had to do was keep ye out for a goal the first day, Donaghy with the same one dimensional tactical play not alone created the goal the first day but was let dictate for the replay after we get ample warning. ( i mean ffs it happened 8 f* ck ing years ago too) Sometimes i wonder are we for real at all. Still nobody can give me a half reasonable answer as to why a bigger man wasnt tried on him even if it was after 20 mins of trying Caff id understand . Cant fathom it all man, its beyond me.What was there to lose , caff was getting murdered

People talked about sacrificing a midfielder on him e.g AOS but that would have been sacrificing your best player and would have been an even more obvious suicide.The problem wasn't the full back line it was the delivery. The delivery was good and consistent and that all stemmed  from us winning midfield. It doesn't matter who you are talking about, Cillian O'Connor, JOD, Donaghy..if you get that much quality ball you will clean up. We know this because we have seen them pump endless shit ball into Donaghy and lose on the bad days !

If Donegal get that kind of ball into Murphy/McFadden against Marc O'Se/Enright (especially Enright) we will be destroyed as well. Marc O'Se is like Higgins..pure class but none of that matters if they are trying to arse box the likes of Donaghy/Murphy off the ball. You have to stop quality delivery. Disaster will follow if you don't.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 03, 2014, 01:03:11 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 03, 2014, 12:28:21 AM

All we had to do was keep ye out for a goal the first day, Donaghy with the same one dimensional tactical play not alone created the goal the first day but was let dictate for the replay after we get ample warning. ( i mean ffs it happened 8 f* ck ing years ago too) Sometimes i wonder are we for real at all. Still nobody can give me a half reasonable answer as to why a bigger man wasnt tried on him even if it was after 20 mins of trying Caff id understand . Cant fathom it all man, its beyond me.What was there to lose , caff was getting murdered

People talked about sacrificing a midfielder on him e.g AOS but that would have been sacrificing your best player and would have been an even more obvious suicide.The problem wasn't the full back line it was the delivery. The delivery was good and consistent and that all stemmed  from us winning midfield. It doesn't matter who you are talking about, Cillian O'Connor, JOD, Donaghy..if you get that much quality ball you will clean up. We know this because we have seen them pump endless shit ball into Donaghy and lose on the bad days !

If Donegal get that kind of ball into Murphy/McFadden against Marc O'Se/Enright (especially Enright) we will be destroyed as well. Marc O'Se is like Higgins..pure class but none of that matters if they are trying to arse box the likes of Donaghy/Murphy off the ball. You have to stop quality delivery. Disaster will follow if you don't.

Exactly. People say a lot about our full back line. They are the most exposed full back line in the country, that is the way Mayo play.
Mayo's game is about pressure high up the pitch. When this works, the ball going in is poor, which gives our defenders a chance, as they are as good as any one-on-one.
In the first game, Mayo's 'middle 8' were wrecked by the last ten minutes, a little bit late to David Moran was enough for him to get a pinpoint ball to Donaghy for the goal.
In the second game, if we win midfield and pressure the 40% or whatever Kerry win, Caff deals with Donaghy. Mayo weren't going to change their whole style for the replay. It would have been madness.

Congrats to Kerry.
Hasta la victoria siempre

macdanger2

Anyone know what the possession stats were in the replay? It seemed like 60-65% for Kerry from where I was standing!!

blanketattack

Quote from: larryin89 on September 02, 2014, 11:51:31 PM
''Nonsense. So what if Mayo struggled in a few areas? No team performance is perfect. Crucial ref decisions kept Kerry in match (even if early Mayo scores were against run of play, so what? You could make same observation for Donegal's first goal. That s sport), and gave them some momentum. The non sending off of Enright was a huge cop out. Kerry would not have survived with 14. Look at the toll playing with 14 for a half left likes of Boyle, Vaughan, Seamie off the boil the last day after the effort in second half in Croke Park.
Kerry did not have to work as hard first day, but after a 6 day turn about Kerry with 14 for 50 mins would have been destroyed . Remember Enright later took out Aidan O Sé with a cheap shot before being replaced. Case for giving Enright most important player. Sent in to do hatchet job and gets away scot free before being prudently replaced by Mark O Sé. Surprised by the innocence of some 'neutral' posters on here. The game was decided by ref decisions and the collision between O Shea and O Connor. Collisions cant be legislated for but can t recall many important games being influenced by such refereeing. To suggest that a team should be able to win anyway if they are good enough is risible tosay the least.
Fair play to Kerry - they tested the referee in both games and got a lot of licence to sledge. Meanwhile Higgins in comparison was gentlemanly in his efforts to mark O Donoghue. Cafferkey was more fouled against than fouled imo. We still have a lot to learn from Kerry and its not about marquee forwards. And we were supposed to be a street wise team ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
But I think most Mayo posters would agree that we would not have got away with anything like that. Tradition counts for a lot.''

TRUE WORDS THERE

Another fine post by the best poster in here by a country mile imho.

The biggest cop out was giving COC a yellow card instead of red for the early incident when he kicked Paul Murphy and compounding his error by giving Enright a yellow for going in to back up his teammate. It makes all the arguments about the red card for the penalty incident null and void as COC shouldn't have even been on the pitch.

rosnarun

LADS it over
We wont be the last team to be screwed by  an incompetent ref
The ref could Score Quiet well with Mceananey  as he referreed a really good Game of Football.
Had he been more picky he could have destroyed the flow of the game and when your get the feeling The ref is against you its very easy to become Paranoid and think every decision is unfair.
I fucked him out of it as much as anyone but its over now and Mayo have to Start Again
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

highorlow

Time to move on lads. Best of luck to both teams for the final.

AOS spoke very well last night on newstalk. Great to hear that communication is good between the team and CB and hopefully that will continue.

He answered some pretty stupid questions very well, i.e. Parkinson asking him should a member of the team be part of the selection committee, did you ever hear the like of it? AOS gave the right answer in saying something along the lines of it wasn't the place of the team or team members to decide.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: blanketattack on September 03, 2014, 09:03:57 AM
''Nonsense. So what if Mayo struggled in a few areas? No team performance is perfect. Crucial ref decisions kept Kerry in match (even if early Mayo scores were against run of play, so what? You could make same observation for Donegal's first goal. That s sport), and gave them some momentum. The non sending off of Enright was a huge cop out. Kerry would not have survived with 14. Look at the toll playing with 14 for a half left likes of Boyle, Vaughan, Seamie off the boil the last day after the effort in second half in Croke Park.
Kerry did not have to work as hard first day, but after a 6 day turn about Kerry with 14 for 50 mins would have been destroyed . Remember Enright later took out Aidan O Sé with a cheap shot before being replaced. Case for giving Enright most important player. Sent in to do hatchet job and gets away scot free before being prudently replaced by Mark O Sé. Surprised by the innocence of some 'neutral' posters on here. The game was decided by ref decisions and the collision between O Shea and O Connor. Collisions cant be legislated for but can t recall many important games being influenced by such refereeing. To suggest that a team should be able to win anyway if they are good enough is risible tosay the least.
Fair play to Kerry - they tested the referee in both games and got a lot of licence to sledge. Meanwhile Higgins in comparison was gentlemanly in his efforts to mark O Donoghue. Cafferkey was more fouled against than fouled imo. We still have a lot to learn from Kerry and its not about marquee forwards. And we were supposed to be a street wise team ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
But I think most Mayo posters would agree that we would not have got away with anything like that. Tradition counts for a lot.''

TRUE WORDS THERE

The biggest cop out was giving COC a yellow card instead of red for the early incident when he kicked Paul Murphy and compounding his error by giving Enright a yellow for going in to back up his teammate. It makes all the arguments about the red card for the penalty incident null and void as COC shouldn't have even been on the pitch.
Well if you want to talk about that then Murphy should have gone for the dig he gave O'Connor off the ball earlier than that which wouldnt have been out of place in a night club car park at 3 in the morning, and which if seen by a Guard in that car park would have you up in front of the nearest district court. Keep going back if you like and we'll be talking about shoulders in the tunnel before the team came out.
Rediculous childish arguement, "what about, what about", the only things that matter are what the ref actually SAW and did nothing about. Things people get away with off the ball, while they shouldnt happen they do, and I'm sure COC or James O'Donoghue or whoever are well used to it and can stand up for themselves.

We lost, Kerry won, fair play to them, but it has nothing to do with them having additional bottle, or determiniation or hunger. They came out on the right side of some ridiculous calls which if they had gone Mayos way, Mayo would have won. If the shoe was on the other foot Kerry people would be apoplectic and they would be right to be so, so please dont tell Mayo people in a round about kind of way that " its all part of sport, swings and roundabouts, thems the breaks", pat on the head and we should just get on with it. We will just get on with it, we have no other choice now, but Kerry people should at least be honest about it and say jays we got lucky their and Mayo ye got screwed. It wont change the result but a bit of honesty about the whole thing would make some of us at least, move on a small bit faster.
Its clear to me that there does seem to be some kind of unconscious retribution at play in the minds of GAA officials. I think in some round about kind of way, and I'm not suggesting Reilly did this deliberately, but the hoopla about the Cork game and then the overturning of Lee Keegans red, must have had some sort of influence on him. On that basis, I think Kerry can look forward to getting ridden like we did, except this time in the All Ireland final. Come back then and tell us how that feels, because we'll be right here to remind ye that it's all part of sport, swings and roundabouts, thems the breaks and all that other guff from the Liam Hayes school of punditry.

Lar Naparka

TRUE WORDS THERE

Bejaysus, no offence intend here, horse, but you seem to belong to the Tony Fearon school of logic   
Either that or you are a WUM. (Probably both.)
The poor devil in the middle of it all made lots of mistakes and if, say, Tom Ó Se or any other TV pundit did what McStay did, he could come up with equally damning evidence of Reilly's mistakes throughout the game.
But one cop out doesn't cancel another.
COC deserved a red card you say and you may well be right. Nobody else  seems to see that your way but you're entitled to your opinion. But Enright stayed on the field after giving away a penalty and that's a matter of fact, not an opinion.
Whether he went back to help out his team mate or to scratch his arse in immaterial, he got a yellow card and should have walked for the second offence.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

charlieTully

Quote from: moysider on September 02, 2014, 11:44:35 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on September 02, 2014, 07:29:02 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on September 02, 2014, 05:43:01 PM
Je hi , just remembering that Derry beat Mayo this year in the NFL semi final.

Bad year for Mayo.

;D haha, you are a bad man. Some serious yapping going on here, take your beating and move on ffs, yis had ample opportunities in the past four years to win an AL and bottled it every time. Its boring now, sympathy is rapidly turning into apathy.

Piss off. Losing on Saturday and the other days had nothing to do with bottle. Disrespectful shite. Don t wan t your sympathy and couldn t care less for your apathy.

apathetic about my apathy?

criostlinn

TRUE WORDS THERE

Ok. This is the second time you've mentioned this. Who are you trying to convince that this actually happened. Justify the ref performance all you want and keep denying Mayo were rode senseless the last day but can you please stop making up complete and utter shite.