Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

I'll have to watch the game again so, all i could see for crucial frees was jostling between donaghy and keane and donaghy like he got all day got the benefit of the doubt.

Keane made a point of not fouling but standing his ground but was punished for it.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Dont Matter

There was bad calls made against both sides, even for the last free in normal time that Hennelly took, a Kerry player was clearly fouled before hand but Mayo were given a chance to win the came. It was far from a biased performance from the ref. It was a bad performance but not biased.
I know it's hard to accept, we all notice the bad calls made against our team but don't notice many that go in our favour. I was a bit biased watching the match as I had a little investment on Kerry and I was of the opinion that the ref was being kind to Mayo. At the end of it all the better team won, Kerry dominated midfield and had far more dangerous options in attack. It's a credit to Mayo to stay in it for so long but they were beaten by a better team on the day, not the ref. It's as simple as that.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: larryin89 on September 02, 2014, 09:44:23 PM
I'll have to watch the game again so, all i could see for crucial frees was jostling between donaghy and keane and donaghy like he got all day got the benefit of the doubt.

Keane made a point of not fouling but standing his ground but was punished for it.

I wasn't at the game myself  but was told that his marker was literally hanging off him everytime the ball came near them. From what I saw on TV there was , at minimum, an arm pull everytime he contested the ball. Like I said earlier, I think people think that just because he is a big lad that that is not a foul...it is. If he has the advantage of height and weight then that doesn't mean the standard should be lowered just for him.

Marc O'Se/Enright or O'Mahony will be in the same situation against Murphy/McFadden in the final and might just as easily get destroyed. It's not an easy one to fix...sacrifice a midfielder..? can they even play full back ? Sometimes it all boils down to the form of the forward on the day. Hopefully they will not hit the heights Donaghy did.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2014, 10:12:35 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 02, 2014, 09:49:38 PM
There was bad calls made against both sides, even for the last free in normal time that Hennelly took, a Kerry player was clearly fouled before hand but Mayo were given a chance to win the came. It was far from a biased performance from the ref. It was a bad performance but not biased.
I know it's hard to accept, we all notice the bad calls made against our team but don't notice many that go in our favour. I was a bit biased watching the match as I had a little investment on Kerry and I was of the opinion that the ref was being kind to Mayo. At the end of it all the better team won, Kerry dominated midfield and had far more dangerous options in attack. It's a credit to Mayo to stay in it for so long but they were beaten by a better team on the day, not the ref. It's as simple as that.

Yeah, when you think hard about it take out all the discrepancies, soft penalties, Non red cards and general decision making of the referee, it had no real bearing on the result. McStay said in his column this week that RTE would only give him a certain amount of time to show the errors of the referee. So constrained by this he could not show all the footage he had gathered from the game about the referee only a summary. You are right Mike Sheehy it's of little relevance.

or lads getting off red cards under dubious circumstances...don't forget that

AZOffaly

Or maybe doesn't live in Ireland any more? Don't be so sarky.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2014, 10:52:27 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 10:46:22 PM

Look he's been looking down his nose giving his expert analysis from here say and TV coverage. It's a different story being at a Match!

You notice things 'differently' watching a match on tv. You see more stuff in my opinion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Maybe he was one of the glory hunters in Croker AZ >:(

AZOffaly

Nope. That was me :D But I'm neither Kerry nor Mayo. Neither are you by the way, unless you're from Ballagh?

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 02, 2014, 10:57:55 PM
Nope. That was me :D But I'm neither Kerry nor Mayo. Neither are you by the way, unless you're from Ballagh?

Low blow :(

moysider

Quote from: screenexile on September 02, 2014, 03:34:02 PM
Quote from: Msgr. Horan on September 02, 2014, 03:23:11 PM
Quote from: Dont Matter on September 02, 2014, 02:33:30 PM
The ref didn't cost Mayo the game, Mayo were destroyed in the second half of extra time and should have been well beaten in normal time. He didn't have a great game but he made mistakes that cost both Kerry and Mayo. All penalty decisions were correct, the frees awarded to Donaghy were also correct. If you watch the replays you can clearly see Keane pulling him back.
Keane was obviously told that he had to be physical, he got too distracted by this thought and never concentrated on the ball. Mayo are short a few to win an All Ireland. Obviously they need a couple of extra top level forwards, a full back and they need some more pace around the middle. They might be able to find a few to cover these positions but then they've got the problem in their heads to overcome. That will be the hardest part of all to resolve.
complete and utter horseshite.
under the rules of the game, Shane Enright should not have been on the field after 16 minutes, theres no ifs and or buts about that. With 14 men for what would have been 60 minutes Kerry would not have won. Mayo would have been miles on the scoreboard after the penalty with a numerical advantage and would have driven on. you can point to what Mayo did the week before but history shows that kind of performance is not really possible for longer than about 30 minutes. Mayo were also lucky the week before that Keegan was sent off just before half time. 20 minutes earlier than that, and I suggest kerry would almost have been out of sight at half time in the first game. With that decision the referee cost Mayo the game because not only did it not give Mayo the numerical advantage Enrights actions deserved it also sent the signal "you can do what the f**k you like" and they did. Dress it up any other way you like but that is exactly what happened.

Fact is the narrative all changes because of the result, if Rob Hennelley's kick had gone over then most of the positives written about Kerry would have been negatives (with the probable exception of David Morans performance which was top class) and vice versa.

What's to say Mayo would have won with Kerry at 14 men? Kerry had the man advantage last week and they didn't win. Mayo had a man advantage against Derry in the NL Semi Final and lost that game.

Lads the slagging of the referee is getting out of hand at this stage and looks ridiculous especially with the pictures of Reilly running for the Changing Room and the Garda lying prostrate surrounded by Mayo 'supportes'! Show me a man that hasn't been wronged by a referee at some stage and I'll show you the man who doesn't exist. Reilly had a tough task on Saturday and he didn't perform well but all this talk of bias and his wife being from Kerry is nonsense.

As Shannon mentioned in his article Horan always preached that you take charge of the things you have control of and the referee is not one of those. Mayo did not perform well enough with the things they could control so they lost!!

Nonsense. So what if Mayo struggled in a few areas? No team performance is perfect. Crucial ref decisions kept Kerry in match (even if early Mayo scores were against run of play, so what? You could make same observation for Donegal's first goal. That s sport), and gave them some momentum. The non sending off of Enright was a huge cop out. Kerry would not have survived with 14. Look at the toll playing with 14 for a half left likes of Boyle, Vaughan, Seamie off the boil the last day after the effort in second half in Croke Park.
Kerry did not have to work as hard first day, but after a 6 day turn about Kerry with 14 for 50 mins would have been destroyed . Remember Enright later took out Aidan O Sé with a cheap shot before being replaced. Case for giving Enright most important player. Sent in to do hatchet job and gets away scot free before being prudently replaced by Mark O Sé. Surprised by the innocence of some 'neutral' posters on here. The game was decided by ref decisions and the collision between O Shea and O Connor. Collisions cant be legislated for but can t recall many important games being influenced by such refereeing. To suggest that a team should be able to win anyway if they are good enough is risible tosay the least.
Fair play to Kerry - they tested the referee in both games and got a lot of licence to sledge. Meanwhile Higgins in comparison was gentlemanly in his efforts to mark O Donoghue. Cafferkey was more fouled against than fouled imo. We still have a lot to learn from Kerry and its not about marquee forwards. And we were supposed to be a street wise team ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
But I think most Mayo posters would agree that we would not have got away with anything like that. Tradition counts for a lot.

moysider

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 02, 2014, 04:28:49 PM
One golden rule I have is never, ever put the boot in the aftermath of a game if you win but, jesus, some of you lads are making it hard  ::) I get that you are pissed off at the ref but stop having a go at us because of that.

I was watching the game as a Kerry fan. You watched it as a Mayo fan. Practically every decision that went against us I could question. You (obviously!!) are the same. There were periods, especially in the first half where, it seemed we only had to touch a Mayoman and he got a free.

I also want to put the record straight on one thing on the Enright penalty since ye are complaining about it so much.... Remember when they were Jostling before the ball dropped ? Enright was facing toward his own goal and couldn't see the ball..well, there was a clear push by O'Connor on Enright right before he got that ball.  That push did three things,it allowed O'Connor to gather the ball, unbalanced Enright and gave him the split second to get away forcing Enright to pull him down.

I'm not saying it was a huge push but it was definitely a foul in my book so if you are going to go through every incident forensically then you need to take everything into account.

So instead of getting a penalty and a black card for Enright it might have been a free out to Kerry. Since you got the penalty and scored I would say that it worked out fair enough in the end.

Donagh pushed, arsed, held off Caff. for most of his possessions. In first Kerry penalty decision the only foul I saw was the initial push by Donaghy on Caff.

Just sayin. Look well done Kerry. I believe in winning any way you can. No harm in accepting that ye got vital calls either. I know I would.
So what?The ref made the calls not Kerry.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 02, 2014, 10:52:27 PM

Look he's been looking down his nose giving his expert analysis from here say and TV coverage. It's a different story being at a Match!

listen laddie, even living abroad I've probably been at more matches than you over the years, and that includes good days and bad ..including coming home for club matches so you can f**k right off with that attitude.

moysider

Quote from: charlieTully on September 02, 2014, 07:29:02 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on September 02, 2014, 05:43:01 PM
Je hi , just remembering that Derry beat Mayo this year in the NFL semi final.

Bad year for Mayo.

;D haha, you are a bad man. Some serious yapping going on here, take your beating and move on ffs, yis had ample opportunities in the past four years to win an AL and bottled it every time. Its boring now, sympathy is rapidly turning into apathy.

Piss off. Losing on Saturday and the other days had nothing to do with bottle. Disrespectful shite. Don t wan t your sympathy and couldn t care less for your apathy.

whitey

Is there any way this thread can be locked......I cant take it anymore

larryin89

''Nonsense. So what if Mayo struggled in a few areas? No team performance is perfect. Crucial ref decisions kept Kerry in match (even if early Mayo scores were against run of play, so what? You could make same observation for Donegal's first goal. That s sport), and gave them some momentum. The non sending off of Enright was a huge cop out. Kerry would not have survived with 14. Look at the toll playing with 14 for a half left likes of Boyle, Vaughan, Seamie off the boil the last day after the effort in second half in Croke Park.
Kerry did not have to work as hard first day, but after a 6 day turn about Kerry with 14 for 50 mins would have been destroyed . Remember Enright later took out Aidan O Sé with a cheap shot before being replaced. Case for giving Enright most important player. Sent in to do hatchet job and gets away scot free before being prudently replaced by Mark O Sé. Surprised by the innocence of some 'neutral' posters on here. The game was decided by ref decisions and the collision between O Shea and O Connor. Collisions cant be legislated for but can t recall many important games being influenced by such refereeing. To suggest that a team should be able to win anyway if they are good enough is risible tosay the least.
Fair play to Kerry - they tested the referee in both games and got a lot of licence to sledge. Meanwhile Higgins in comparison was gentlemanly in his efforts to mark O Donoghue. Cafferkey was more fouled against than fouled imo. We still have a lot to learn from Kerry and its not about marquee forwards. And we were supposed to be a street wise team ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
But I think most Mayo posters would agree that we would not have got away with anything like that. Tradition counts for a lot.''

TRUE WORDS THERE

Another fine post by the best poster in here by a country mile imho.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .