Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

QuoteKerry's minor team which they've been talking about look like a serious outfit and there could be a few placements on that team for the likes of Marc, Aodhan and Declan.

Very raw though. Gooch will be back next year which will help, but I think O'Mahoney and Declan will definitely retire. Marc O'Sé might be a question mark too. I think of the All Ireland team in '09, only Marc O'Sé started. That's some turnaround in 5 years.

Kerry v Cork AIF 2009

KERRY: 1 Diarmuid Murphy; 2 Marc Ó Sé, 3 Tommy Griffin, 4 Tom O'Sullivan; 5 Tomás Ó Sé, 6 Mike McCarthy, 7 Killian Young; 8 Darragh Ó Sé, 9 Seamus Scanlon; 10 Paul Galvin, 11 Declan O'Sullivan, 12 Tadhg Kennelly; 13 Colm Cooper, 14 Tommy Walsh, 15 Darran O'Sullivan (capt).

Even if you look at the game v Dublin in 2011, only 4 starters.

Kerry: B Kealy, K Young, M Ó Sé, T O'Sullivan, T Ó Sé, E Brosnan, A O'Mahony, A Maher, K Donaghy (0-02), B Sheehan (0-04, 2f, 1 '45), Darran O'Sullivan, D Walsh, C Cooper (1-03, 2f), Declan O'Sullivan (0-01), K O'Leary.

Fitzmaurice has done well to keep Kerry on the road while bringing in lads like Enright, Murphy, Fitzgerald, Crowley, the Geaneys, O'Donoghue, O'Brien etc etc etc. It's a massive change in fairness.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 25, 2014, 10:35:10 AM
QuoteKerry's minor team which they've been talking about look like a serious outfit and there could be a few placements on that team for the likes of Marc, Aodhan and Declan.

Very raw though. Gooch will be back next year which will help, but I think O'Mahoney and Declan will definitely retire. Marc O'Sé might be a question mark too. I think of the All Ireland team in '09, only Marc O'Sé started. That's some turnaround in 5 years.

Kerry v Cork AIF 2009

KERRY: 1 Diarmuid Murphy; 2 Marc Ó Sé, 3 Tommy Griffin, 4 Tom O'Sullivan; 5 Tomás Ó Sé, 6 Mike McCarthy, 7 Killian Young; 8 Darragh Ó Sé, 9 Seamus Scanlon; 10 Paul Galvin, 11 Declan O'Sullivan, 12 Tadhg Kennelly; 13 Colm Cooper, 14 Tommy Walsh, 15 Darran O'Sullivan (capt).

Even if you look at the game v Dublin in 2011, only 4 starters.

Kerry: B Kealy, K Young, M Ó Sé, T O'Sullivan, T Ó Sé, E Brosnan, A O'Mahony, A Maher, K Donaghy (0-02), B Sheehan (0-04, 2f, 1 '45), Darran O'Sullivan, D Walsh, C Cooper (1-03, 2f), Declan O'Sullivan (0-01), K O'Leary.

Fitzmaurice has done well to keep Kerry on the road while bringing in lads like Enright, Murphy, Fitzgerald, Crowley, the Geaneys, O'Donoghue, O'Brien etc etc etc. It's a massive change in fairness.

Massive turnaround and a credit to Kerry management and the lads who have come into the team. All the same Geaney and JOD etc are very decent replacements. Hopefully Cooper will be back but that's not guaranteed and if he does return, he might not have long left in him ( although I wish be could play on forever ) ?.

Sidney

People might want to have a read of the rule (the Gaelic football rule) rather than writing absolutely laughable tripe about "soccer rules" being the problem.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Massive player is Keegan, back for final if Mayo make it...................................they played better when he was off the park perhaps the same maybe said the next day

Jinxy

This idea that a player can commit a clear red card offence and yet still somehow not deserve to be sent off is absurd.
Who would be a referee with this sort of nonsense pervasive in the stands and the media.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on August 25, 2014, 10:23:03 AM
Did I imagine it or was AOS waving an invisible card yesterday after being brought to ground???

He did indeed, not something I like to see trying to get an opponent booked. Even worse still was Donncha Walsh gesticulating in a kicking manner 3 times yesterday towards the referee to try and get Keegan sent off.

yellowcard

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 11:20:00 AM
This idea that a player can commit a clear red card offence and yet still somehow not deserve to be sent off is absurd.
Who would be a referee with this sort of nonsense pervasive in the stands and the media.

Technically the referee was within his rights to send him off, but if he hadn't nobody would have batted an eyelid. His boot never struck Buckley and it wasn't as if he raised his leg with any great force. Compare it to the O'Gara, Burke, Reilly etc incident where there were punches thrown and mouth gouging/biting (whatever way you wish to interpret it) and they don't even stand close comparision. It was a totally disproportionate punishment and it was Donncha Walsh's antics that got Keegan sent off imo. 

AZOffaly

It was Lee Keegan's kick out that saw him  sent off. Donnacha Walsh didn't help the situation, but you can't keep blaming everyone else and I'm sure Lee Keegan wouldn't be blaming someone else either.

I said at the time it might be a red, but I was hoping it would just be a yellow, and it would be interpreted as pushing and shoving. Coldrick obviously saw it and decided to apply the letter of the law.

J70

Quote from: yellowcard on August 25, 2014, 11:26:00 AM

Technically the referee was within his rights to send him off, but if he hadn't nobody would have batted an eyelid. His boot never struck Buckley and it wasn't as if he raised his leg with any great force. Compare it to the O'Gara, Burke, Reilly etc incident where there were punches thrown and mouth gouging/biting (whatever way you wish to interpret it) and they don't even stand close comparision. It was a totally disproportionate punishment and it was Donncha Walsh's antics that got Keegan sent off imo.

It's not the referee's fault it's was 'disproportionate'.

People are always crying about inconsistency. We can't have it both ways.

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on August 25, 2014, 11:29:53 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 25, 2014, 11:26:00 AM

It's not the referee's fault it's was 'disproportionate'.

People are always crying about inconsistency. We can't have it both ways.

True and true. I suppose the problem will be when someone else isn't sent off for something similar. Then the inconsistency will come into it.

Hound

To me, Keegan's leg jab looked worse on first viewing than it actually was. I think if Coldrick had the benefit of viewing the replay he would have just given yellow.

I would have said Coldrick was the best ref in the country at the start of the year, but he's had a poor enough season, and yesterday he certainly fell into the trap of favouring the 14 man team.

Draw is probably the best result for both teams. Another competitive game should be excellent preparation for the final. Mayo have the added bonus of Keegan now being available for the final. 

Jinxy

If you put the ref in the position where he has to make a decision, the only decision he can make is to give a red card.
That is the sanction for the offence which Keegan committed.
Pointing out other offences from other games where players should have received red cards but didn't, is neither here nor there.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 11:33:21 AM
If you put the ref in the position where he has to make a decision, the only decision he can make is to give a red card.
Pointing out other offences from other games where players should have received red cards but didn't, is neither here nor there.
The question though is did Keegan actually attempt to kick Buckley?
If he was really trying to kick him, he'd hardly have missed

Jinxy

No, he didn't try to kick him.
He just tried to 'leg jab' him.  :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2014, 11:33:21 AM

You are correct, of course. But it is hard to escape the impression that it was 'harsh'. Even if according to the rules it is a perfectly valid decision. The fact that others will get away with it just feeds the harshness aspect.