Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

What age would he be? Why is he finished is it a lack of form or injuries or something else? He was a serious ff a few years ago

moysider

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 20, 2014, 11:30:23 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 20, 2014, 11:15:49 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 20, 2014, 08:32:03 PM
The way Mayo played in their last three games will not be good enough to beat Kerry even the Dubs had to peak themselves to overcome Kerry last year. Dublin's form was good going into that semi final while Mayo are expected to turn their form on like a tap, I think the last side to do that was Kerry themselves five years ago.

I m delighted we played the way we did last 3 games and are still in it.
We defo haven t peaked but it remains to be seen how good the peak will be. I think Sunday will see us at least trying to bring it to another level. Physically and mentally we will be better but of course there is no guarantee that our football clicks into place. Kerry will be going out to set the tempo so Mayo need to grab the game by the scruff of the neck - something that we failed to do in Cork first half. Also drive on to the end if we are on top - something that we haven't done all year.

But it's impossible to get a handle on the respective form of either team. Both teams played Galway and Cork. Galway were more watery v Kerry than us. Galway did have a huge amount of possession though v Kerry.
Cork were a different animal v Mayo than the naive set-up and no- show in Munster final. So very difficult to predict on what we ve seen so far. The teams are in different places. Could it be that Kerry have peaked for Cork and deep down they may be reasonably sated with the progress made?

God only knows how this one will go. Thank God football not very predictable.

Stephen Hawking - ' cannot predict future events exactly if one cannot even measure the present state of the universe'
Imo there are two many unknowns about both teams to be confident of predicting an outcome.

You wha? Of all the arguments for Mayo winning (and there are many to be fair) this is definitely the most ridiculous I've heard!

We are about winning Sam in September lad, nothing less is satisfactory...I would have thought someone from a real football county wouldn't have to be reminded of that..

Care not to call me lad pal!
You d have to pick on something that I presented as an imponderable and choose to interpret as an argument.
You obviously have some sense of expectation from what is a new Kerry team. Entitlement perhaps?
Also it's not often anybody calls us a real football county. Ridicule, entitlement and cynicism is some going in one post about a football match.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: moysider on August 21, 2014, 12:02:18 AM
The way Mayo played in their last three games will not be good enough to beat Kerry even the Dubs had to peak themselves to overcome Kerry last year. Dublin's form was good going into that semi final while Mayo are expected to turn their form on like a tap, I think the last side to do that was Kerry themselves five years ago.

We defo haven t peaked but it remains to be seen how good the peak will be. I think Sunday will see us at least trying to bring it to another level. Physically and mentally we will be better but of course there is no guarantee that our football clicks into place. Kerry will be going out to set the tempo so Mayo need to grab the game by the scruff of the neck - something that we failed to do in Cork first half. Also drive on to the end if we are on top - something that we haven't done all year.

But it's impossible to get a handle on the respective form of either team. Both teams played Galway and Cork. Galway were more watery v Kerry than us. Galway did have a huge amount of possession though v Kerry.
Cork were a different animal v Mayo than the naive set-up and no- show in Munster final. So very difficult to predict on what we ve seen so far. The teams are in different places. Could it be that Kerry have peaked for Cork and deep down they may be reasonably sated with the progress made?

Stephen Hawking - ' cannot predict future events exactly if one cannot even measure the present state of the universe'
Imo there are two many unknowns about both teams to be confident of predicting an outcome.

You wha? Of all the arguments for Mayo winning (and there are many to be fair) this is definitely the most ridiculous I've heard!

We are about winning Sam in September lad, nothing less is satisfactory...I would have thought someone from a real football county wouldn't have to be reminded of that..

You d have to pick on something that I presented as an imponderable and choose to interpret as an argument.
You obviously have some sense of expectation from what is a new Kerry team. Entitlement perhaps?
Also it's not often anybody calls us a real football county. Ridicule, entitlement and cynicism is some going in one post about a football match.

The fact you even suggested it is ridiculous...and now you've started going on about entitlement?!  ::)

I was being genuine btw. I've encountered Mayo people all over the world and no better men to discuss or play  football with. When it boils down to it, there are only a handful of real hardcore football areas and Mayo is definitely one of them.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

moysider

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 21, 2014, 12:07:35 AM

The fact you even suggested it is ridiculous...and now you've started going on about entitlement?!  ::)

I was being genuine btw. I've encountered Mayo people all over the world and no better men to discuss or play  football with. When it boils down to it, there are only a handful of real hardcore football areas and Mayo is definitely one of them.

I m not sure what you re taking as an insult?
I m not going to patronise Kerry people and tell them they have a great manager to get as far as they have. But what do you do if Kerry don t win this AI? Even with a team that has to regenerate very quickly there is little room for sentiment. Ever think ye re spoiled? In recent years fans from Meath, Galway, Tyrone, Down, and Armagh had perennial expectations.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on August 20, 2014, 09:36:36 PM
Strong rumour :( going round this evening about the Mayo team that Gibbons and Freeman are in for Barrett and Andy with Vaughan going back to wing back.I dont know how reliable this is as it didnt come from my usual source but a few people seem to have heard the same.

Maybe another ' horses for courses' selection, if it's the team.
Now - at the risk of drawing 'Thuaidh' s ire, I think we all know that Mayo have to win middle third by a lot to win.
If I were JH, I would try to course the big Kerry men around the pitch. I think Maher, Buckley, Moran and Sheehan will be asked to move a lot. Donncha is a good worker but he could be on back foot here. Keegan sacrificed his usual attacking game v Cork to take Kerrigan out of the game but could have different game next day.

As regards the rumoured team. Even if it doesn't happen it makes sense. Freeman scored 1-5 v Kerry in league and Gibbons was best midfielder out there if memory serves me. Instead of Moran and Maher jumping into clouds we ll have more mobility there and Gibbons can field with the best of them anyway. This team would make sense if true. I think Kerry need to get their hf line into the game and it won't be easy v Keegan, Boyle and Vaughan. Inside we could have problems. But that depends where Declan O Sullivan plays. 
If he plays deep playmaker, we have a defender in front of Geaney and O Donoghue. If he plays inside we have a problem :( but maybe more opportunities going forward.

Canalman

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 20, 2014, 11:51:16 PM
Quote from: mayoman dan on August 20, 2014, 11:49:48 PM
Will Donaghy feature? I would hate to see him in at ff

Donaghy is pretty much finished at this level. Got a few mins against Clare and was appalling.

Find that hard to believe tbh. He was my motm in the 2011 AIF and find it hard to believe that a player can go downhill so quickly.
I would always fear him.

Zulu

As the game draws closer I'm finding it harder to make a logical case for a Kerry win. If asked to make a case I'm reduced to Kerry being Kerry and lingering doubts about Mayo forwards to put up a score against a top team. I said in an earlier post that Kerry will perform but I'm equally confident Mayo will too.

Take out the Munster final and what have Kerry done this year that marks them out as a team that can rattle Mayo? A mediocre league followed by 2 laboured wins against Clare and Galway. The Cork performance was as much about Cork as it was about Kerry so where's the form line that gives Kerry a chance?

In contrast, Mayo have been building towards this as they knew they could get here without peaking but would need to peak to win an All Ireland. They are good enough to win an all Ireland but not good enough to do so if they don't perform to their best. I think Mayo will be far better than they've looked so far and if they raise it I can't see Kerry live with them.

Crete Boom

Quote from: moysider on August 21, 2014, 01:19:17 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on August 20, 2014, 09:36:36 PM
Strong rumour :( going round this evening about the Mayo team that Gibbons and Freeman are in for Barrett and Andy with Vaughan going back to wing back.I dont know how reliable this is as it didnt come from my usual source but a few people seem to have heard the same.

Maybe another ' horses for courses' selection, if it's the team.
Now - at the risk of drawing 'Thuaidh' s ire, I think we all know that Mayo have to win middle third by a lot to win.
If I were JH, I would try to course the big Kerry men around the pitch. I think Maher, Buckley, Moran and Sheehan will be asked to move a lot. Donncha is a good worker but he could be on back foot here. Keegan sacrificed his usual attacking game v Cork to take Kerrigan out of the game but could have different game next day.

As regards the rumoured team. Even if it doesn't happen it makes sense. Freeman scored 1-5 v Kerry in league and Gibbons was best midfielder out there if memory serves me. Instead of Moran and Maher jumping into clouds we ll have more mobility there and Gibbons can field with the best of them anyway. This team would make sense if true. I think Kerry need to get their hf line into the game and it won't be easy v Keegan, Boyle and Vaughan. Inside we could have problems. But that depends where Declan O Sullivan plays. 
If he plays deep playmaker, we have a defender in front of Geaney and O Donoghue. If he plays inside we have a problem :( but maybe more opportunities going forward.

I think Gibbons would be a huge positive if he brings some of his league form in to Croke park with his ability to field and run all day. Freeman hasn't found any consistent form since the league game against Cork ( his shot when he came on the last day emphasises this) but he seems well up for the fight again this year ( his turnover for Aidan's goal was brilliant)!

I think if O'Sullivan goes deep like against Cork Boyler should sit and mind the house with Aidan , Doc and Kevin Mac pushing up to make life hard for anyone trying to quarterback from deep.I suppose one of Tom or Keith will marshall O' Donoghue but the key to this is to limit the supply into him and Geaney. If O'Brien is fit for Kerry I would stick Keegan on him and leave Donie with Walsh but if it is Buckley  and Walsh then I would swap Keegan and Donie around.

Obviously or running game will be our first choice to attack but I think we need to work Dillion Doc and Kev into good position should Kerry jam up the middle as these are our best scorers from 40 yards ( provided Cillian stays close to goal). It would be nice if we could tweak our kicking game slightly as it is way too predictable at the moment for opposing defenders. Also we have to be clinical with our goal chances like in this years league and last years championsip if we are to have any chance at beating the Kingdom.

bcarrier

I wouldnt know what to make of either of these teams.

Are Mayo primed to peak later in the season or in a slow decline?

Are Kerry just a two trick pony   :P?

Kerry have had the upper hand in recent championship clashes but must be a relief for Mayo lads to see Gooch not around this time. He has been chief tormentor during that time.

http://www.terracetalk.com/kerry-football/player/29/Colm-Cooper

2011 1-7
2006 1-2
2005 1-1
2004 1-5

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: moysider on August 21, 2014, 12:42:26 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 21, 2014, 12:07:35 AM

I m not sure what you re taking as an insult?
I m not going to patronise Kerry people and tell them they have a great manager to get as far as they have. But what do you do if Kerry don t win this AI? Even with a team that has to regenerate very quickly there is little room for sentiment. Ever think ye re spoiled? In recent years fans from Meath, Galway, Tyrone, Down, and Armagh had perennial expectations.

???

Can't make head nor tail of that post to be honest..."Ever think ye're spoiled"?? You've gone off on some tangent that I've no intention of following here..

J OGorman

Quote from: Zulu on August 21, 2014, 08:47:12 AM
As the game draws closer I'm finding it harder to make a logical case for a Kerry win. If asked to make a case I'm reduced to Kerry being Kerry and lingering doubts about Mayo forwards to put up a score against a top team. I said in an earlier post that Kerry will perform but I'm equally confident Mayo will too.

Take out the Munster final and what have Kerry done this year that marks them out as a team that can rattle Mayo? A mediocre league followed by 2 laboured wins against Clare and Galway. The Cork performance was as much about Cork as it was about Kerry so where's the form line that gives Kerry a chance?

In contrast, Mayo have been building towards this as they knew they could get here without peaking but would need to peak to win an All Ireland. They are good enough to win an all Ireland but not good enough to do so if they don't perform to their best. I think Mayo will be far better than they've looked so far and if they raise it I can't see Kerry live with them.

I'd argue that , even without the Gooch, Kerry are stronger this year than last and last year they couldve beat Dublin. O'Sullivan playing the Gooch quarter back role better than anyone in the business, Walsh finally playing decent football, Geany and O'Brien slotting in seemlessly, O'Donahue the form inside forward and in Sheehan, the best free taker in the land. A big strong mobile midfield unit, a cute-hooerish tight defence and unrivalled experience of winning all-ireland semi finals. The option of throwing Donaghey onto the edge of the square and a couple of Mayo defenders with him = logical. Their league form means diddly, and there is, at best,  a slim  chance of Mayo or any of the other semi finalists beating Dublin this year. How you come to the conclusion that if they raise their form, the Kingdom wont be able to live with them is pretty baffling. I'd be very surprised if Kerry dont make it to the final. Kerry by 3/4

INDIANA

Quote from: J OGorman on August 21, 2014, 12:24:45 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 21, 2014, 08:47:12 AM

I'd argue that , even without the Gooch, Kerry are stronger this year than last and last year they couldve beat Dublin. O'Sullivan playing the Gooch quarter back role better than anyone in the business, Walsh finally playing decent football, Geany and O'Brien slotting in seemlessly, O'Donahue the form inside forward and in Sheehan, the best free taker in the land. A big strong mobile midfield unit, a cute-hooerish tight defence and unrivalled experience of winning all-ireland semi finals. The option of throwing Donaghey onto the edge of the square and a couple of Mayo defenders with him = logical. Their league form means diddly, and there is, at best,  a slim  chance of Mayo or any of the other semi finalists beating Dublin this year. How you come to the conclusion that if they raise their form, the Kingdom wont be able to live with them is pretty baffling. I'd be very surprised if Kerry dont make it to the final. Kerry by 3/4

I don't agree on any of that and am in complete agreement with Zulu.

Higgins v JOD will be interesting. Either way he will be double marked. Let's not forget last year Gooch unlocked the Dublin defence for JOD last year and he isn't there this year. When he was held JOD didn't make a huge impact in the second half. He won't have Gooch on Sunday. It beggars belief how people buy into this rubbish Kerry are stronger without Gooch.- (only the best player to have played the game!)

Sheehan might be a free taker but the O Se's are born fielders . The Kerry midfield has their work cut on Sunday. Both good footballers but I'm sure midfield is a place for footballers anymore.

The coup de gras in my view. the Mayo half back line. Two brilliant wing backs in Keegan and Boyle and a reasonable centre back if Vaughan plays there. Kerry half forward line has some job on their hands there.

For Kerry to win in my view- JOD needs a master class, Sheehan and Maher have to prove themselves in the physical stakes at midfield and the likes of Donncha Walsh and Dec O Sullivan will have to nullify Keegan and Co.

Thats a hard sell for me.

Of course if the Mayo forwards get the yips then all of the above is rendered redundant. Have a sneaking suspicion this could be Mayo's year. I've said that for about 3 months now. They remind me of the Dublin team of the 90's who eventually got over the line. And I really think for 70% of them its now or never.

If kerry do pull this off they will be significant opposition in the AL Final for either Donegal or Dublin

southdown

Is there any chance Donaghy will start? That would be a complete headache for the Mayo defence.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

What is with all the talk of Donaghy lads? Have ye been watching Kerry play at all? He's nowhere near starting or even coming off the bench most likely.