Maigh Eo v Ciarrai, 1700, 30ú Lúnasa, Gaelic Grounds

Started by macdanger2, August 03, 2014, 10:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chimley

If 14 of the 15 were better then I don't think we would be 'having an edge' over Kerry. I think that O'Donaghue is a standout but there's not much in the other 14 with Mayo maybe edging it 8-6.

Syferus

CO'C is every bit as much a stand-out as O'Donaghue, sadly.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 19, 2014, 03:55:13 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2014, 02:05:01 AM

Who?

That's exactly what I said when the PR machine took over this year.

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2014, 04:10:16 AM

Who?

Don't know who O'Donaghue is but i have heard of O'Donoghue and you are spot on, he isn't fit to lace the boots of such once in a generation players like Donie, Senan and of course Cregger

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on August 18, 2014, 06:24:34 PM
I never thought this fella would be a Mayo supporter

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/f128ee6c-1daf-11e4-8f0c-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3AlWNQAlu

Philip Stephens, FT chief political commentator

Dry-stone walled, rough-thatched, and cutting a swath through the bracken and gorse, my new home glances down at the narrow Pollagh river as it meanders towards the Moy and gazes up through the mist towards the peak of Sliabh Cairn. County Mayo in the west of Ireland is a place of desolate beauty, of peat bogs, mountains, fog and, yes, rain. Tourists head for the prettified Atlantic coast and stare at the expensive yachts in Westport harbour. Those in the know enjoy rural Mayo as nature intended.
©Andrea Pistolesi/Getty
My imagined house sits on the edge of Kiltimagh (Coillte Mach), the place of my mother's birth and where, as a child, I spent countless glorious summers. In the eyes of Dublin sophisticates, this makes me a "Culchie" (Coillte). Kiltimagh gave Ireland the disparaging term for someone struggling to comb the hay from his hair. I have been called worse.

The house is vast, a permanent retreat for the scattered diaspora of Martins and Costellos. In the stone-floored sitting room stands a peat-burning range, its blackened pots simmering with boiled ham and starchy potatoes. There are occasional touches of luxury: the bathrooms are inside and there is central heating upstairs.

The house, of course, would not cost £1m. Nothing like it. But I would use the change to buy and reinstate the town's Savoy cinema: a place of fond memories

I never knew this.
Makes a lot of sense.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Put Up That Flag on August 19, 2014, 09:48:05 AM

Who?

Don't know who O'Donaghue is but i have heard of O'Donoghue and you are spot on, he isn't fit to lace the boots of such once in a generation players like Donie, Senan and of course Cregger

3 who are no longer of much addition and whose time is nearly up. Hope O'Donoghue is of more use to his team or Mwr will be sailing into yet another Final.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Put Up That Flag

Quote from: Rossfan on August 19, 2014, 10:41:12 AM
Quote from: Put Up That Flag on August 19, 2014, 09:48:05 AM

Who?

3 who are no longer of much addition and whose time is nearly up. Hope O'Donoghue is of more use to his team or Mwr will be sailing into yet another Final.

Finally a Roscommon man talking sense, from the outside looking in you would swear these guys were absolute all star laden superstars according to ye're esteemed "expert" on everything yet I have never seen anything from them but traits of ordinary footballers.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Who?

Trying to be the Martin McHugh of the board now? Good to see you've found your level anyway..sounds about right.

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 19, 2014, 11:42:15 AM

Who?

Trying to be the Martin McHugh of the board now? Good to see you've found your level anyway..sounds about right.

Just winding you up. O'Donoghue is a serious talent. His ould man was an unused sub back in 1980, my dah still has the program and the bad memories.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2014, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 19, 2014, 11:42:15 AM

Who?

Just winding you up. O'Donoghue is a serious talent. His ould man was an unused sub back in 1980, my dah still has the program and the bad memories.

Yep, Diarmuid was a serious player himself. Would walk on current team..was one of a group who were failed by Micko not using them enough back in the day. Got a few bad injuries aswell which didn't help him.

moysider

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 19, 2014, 01:26:47 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 19, 2014, 12:14:33 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 18, 2014, 10:25:50 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 18, 2014, 01:50:17 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 18, 2014, 12:40:21 PM
I wonder will Horan do us all a favour and start Varley? I mean we don't like to see him coming on and I must admit any time he does come on my heart sinks (sorry REDCOL, PS you were damn right in calling for Caolan Crowe to be called up) and so do the other season ticket supporters. So maybe start him and take him off perhaps? At least he'd have his stintín done and wouldn't be shooting mad wides with 10 minutes to go.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Good man Farr!

Seriously though has there ever been a quieter Mayo thread.

I mean could it be that we all

I've no fear of Donegal. would like to win this one but we know what s coming after?
People talurself Moysider. Those Gallowglasses don't come sk about revenge for the quarter-final last year but Donegal were running on empty then. Doubt it hit them that hard. Mayo, however, wouldn't mind some revenge for the year before. Relax yoweeping down the glens like they used to.

I wasn t thinking about Donegal, but if they manage to do the Dubs and we face them, I would fear them an awful lot.

As regards Kerry on Sunday. I don t think 'tradition' will have anything to do with us. If we had a bit more about us in the forwards and didn t hang our markers out to dry we would be nailed on. Disappointingly both are issues that needn t ever have become an issue but it could be our undoing like it almost was v Cork. In most areas we should have the edge on Kerry except for O Donoghue and maybe that bit of savvy on the line. But that may be enough for Kerry.

While O Donoghue is special it might be some comfort for Mayo fans that Jamie Clarke was held to just 1 point in his last two games. These things can happen but the way we set up you would fancy that O Donoghue and others will be given chances.

A plus for us is that we almost got caught by Cork but managed to tough it out. A different Cork and a very docile Galway rolled over for Kerry so they really cant be sure how they will react if they are put to the pin of their collar?

So 14 of Mayo's team are better than Kerry equivalent you say?

Care to do a player by player breakdown of that for me?

I said no such thing. Relax and don t be spoiling for a row where there is no grounds for one.

I said areas. I think we might have an edge in the middle third. Our defenders are pretty useful if Horan can bring himself to play a bit of cover back. O Donoghue would be the stand out killer forward though.

Tbh I m not familiar enough with the newer Kerry players to make a direct comparison. I ve seen this team once in the league and twice on the telly live.

Most people have seen Mayo a lot so I ll leave the direct comparison to you if you like doing that kind of thing.

rosnarun

always make me laugh , fella arguing the Toss about whose Grandfather Bastardised the correct irish spelling of a name the most .
the name is Ó Donnchadha ,

Mayo by 7
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: rosnarun on August 19, 2014, 12:28:35 PM
always make me laugh , fella arguing the Toss about whose Grandfather Bastardised the correct irish spelling of a name the most .
the name is Ó Donnchadha ,

Mayo by 7

..or O'Donnchú..there's a large area of north Kerry called Ballydonoghue..Baile uí Donnchú..seeing as how you brought it up!