All Ireland Quarter Final Ard Mhacha v Dún na nGall

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, August 02, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: J70 on August 10, 2014, 01:42:11 PM
You can't just judge McQuillan on the yellow card disparity. You have to look at the incidents where the cards were awarded. And apart from missing Eamon McGee on Grugan at the end, were there other incidents where Donegal men should have got yellow?

No,  the issue Id have is not whether Donegal should have got more cards but how Armagh merited 6. I'd like to watch the game on TV to judge better on some of the Armagh yellow cards but watching the game live I thought a few of them were extremely harsh and that on the balance of play Donegal got more of the marginal decisions in their favour than Armagh.

CD

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2014, 01:48:23 PM
You can't just judge McQuillan on the yellow card disparity. You have to look at the incidents where the cards were awarded. And apart from missing Eamon McGee on Grugan at the end, were there other incidents where Donegal men should have got yellow?

No,  the issue Id have is not whether Donegal should have got more cards but how Armagh merited 6. I'd like to watch the game on TV to judge better on some of the Armagh yellow cards but watching the game live I thought a few of them were extremely harsh and that on the balance of play Donegal got more of the marginal decisions in their favour than Armagh.

As a complete neutral watching the game I definitely didn't get any sense that McQuillan was being in any way biased towards one team or the other. I thought one or two of the Armagh yellow cards were fairly harsh in the context of the game and similar challenges went unpunished. But we don't see everything that is going on or hear everything that is being said at pitch level. McQuillan may have warned a player - eg - 'next one's a yellow' etc. Refs often do this. Given the intensity of the game, how hard (and fair) the contact was and the speed of the encounter I thought he did a really good job of refereeing the most enjoyable game I've watched this year - and possibly one of the hardest to referee.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

bennydorano

I think Donegal will give Dublin all they want. Ideal way to progress onto the next step, a so/so performance & a real test against us and Dublin waltzing through at their leisure. Any betting available yet? I'll definitely back them with the handicap & wouldn't be surprised if they win.

Throw ball

Quote from: CD on August 10, 2014, 02:14:22 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2014, 01:48:23 PM

As a complete neutral watching the game I definitely didn't get any sense that McQuillan was being in any way biased towards one team or the other. I thought one or two of the Armagh yellow cards were fairly harsh in the context of the game and similar challenges went unpunished. But we don't see everything that is going on or hear everything that is being said at pitch level. McQuillan may have warned a player - eg - 'next one's a yellow' etc. Refs often do this. Given the intensity of the game, how hard (and fair) the contact was and the speed of the encounter I thought he did a really good job of refereeing the most enjoyable game I've watched this year - and possibly one of the hardest to referee.

Watched the game again there. Thought the yellows for Vernon and Campbell were very harsh. Toner also got booked for his first tackle when the reply showed he tackled the ball. The way the Donegal player went down though I can see why he gave it. As for other cards for Donegal the only one I would query is the free at the end when Campbell was taken down running through. The camera did not pick up why Clarke got booked. Then again it wouldn't be a Cross or Armagh match with McQuillan refereeing if he did not book Clarke.

shawshank

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2014, 01:33:40 PM
Well done to Donegal, I felt Armagh deserved at least a draw but if you don't take your opportunities then you have no one to blame but yourself. That said I felt we were raped by McQuillan and his bias towards Donegal. Six yellows to nil suggests Armagh were massive aggressors in the physicality stakes when the reality was there was no difference in the sides. Donegal might play a defensive brand of football but you have to cut your cloth based on the players you have at your disposal and McGuinness is getting the last drop out of that side. I honestly believe they have a good chance if beating Dublin though and the destination of Sam will be decided on 31 August. They could well take defensive football to previously unseen levels in an attempt to beat Dublin because if they stand toe toe they will get destroyed. I'm really looking forward to what should be a great occasion.

They got yellows for poor tackling technique on a few  occasions. The guy who threw the doc unto the ground was clear cut. Donegals tackling was more controlled. As a neutral, your glasses are rose tinted, but sure whats the point in supporting a team if u don't see the world from that view.

Throw ball

Quote from: shawshank on August 10, 2014, 02:31:29 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2014, 01:33:40 PM
Well done to Donegal, I felt Armagh deserved at least a draw but if you don't take your opportunities then you have no one to blame but yourself. That said I felt we were raped by McQuillan and his bias towards Donegal. Six yellows to nil suggests Armagh were massive aggressors in the physicality stakes when the reality was there was no difference in the sides. Donegal might play a defensive brand of football but you have to cut your cloth based on the players you have at your disposal and McGuinness is getting the last drop out of that side. I honestly believe they have a good chance if beating Dublin though and the destination of Sam will be decided on 31 August. They could well take defensive football to previously unseen levels in an attempt to beat Dublin because if they stand toe toe they will get destroyed. I'm really looking forward to what should be a great occasion.

They got yellows for poor tackling technique on a few  occasions. The guy who threw the doc unto the ground was clear cut. Donegals tackling was more controlled. As a neutral, your glasses are rose tinted, but sure whats the point in supporting a team if u don't see the world from that view.

I like your last point! Also it is good to see someone say most of the yellows were from poor tackling. That is something I would hope would improve next year. Despite what people may think Armagh have very few dirty players but the rest will play physically and not back down in a scrap.

maddog

Quote from: bennydorano on August 10, 2014, 02:23:14 PM
I think Donegal will give Dublin all they want. Ideal way to progress onto the next step, a so/so performance & a real test against us and Dublin waltzing through at their leisure. Any betting available yet? I'll definitely back them with the handicap & wouldn't be surprised if they win.

100% agree with that Benny. While gutted to lose I think Donegal with their experience and their system would be the best equipped team in the country to take on Dublin and possibly turn them over. On the match itself the ref was a pure bollix, not our reason for losing that was down to missed chances especially early in first half. If we could have built a lead then Donegal would have had to come out and attack which would have suited us. Anyway well done Armagh team and management for giving us a platform to go on from and restoring some of the faith. Well done Donegal, congrats and go on and lift her.

Orior

Sky reported that Amagh got six yellows and Donegal got none.  If true, it shows a clear bias by the ref.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

yellowcard

I agree, Donegal are 7/1 which to me is ridiculous in a 2 horse race between the last 2 AI champions. Dublin deserve to be favourites but I fancy McGuinness to concoct a masterplan and emerge victorious. The bad blood from bite gate should also add a bit of extra spice to the game. For me this is the match of the year.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Orior on August 10, 2014, 02:46:34 PM
Sky reported that Amagh got six yellows and Donegal got none.  If true, it shows a clear bias by the ref.

The simple fact that the count was 6-0 does not show clear bias by the referee.

I was at the game, in poor seats & have yet to see a replay, but 6-0 would indicate to me either a need to stop Donegal players running through, poor technique or Donegal cuteness were the causes..

I suspect that a combination of all three was more to blame for the count rather than any bias.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Hardy

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2014, 03:04:10 PM

I agree, Donegal are 7/1 which to me is ridiculous in a 2 horse race between the last 2 AI champions. Dublin deserve to be favourites but I fancy McGuinness to concoct a masterplan and emerge victorious. The bad blood from bite gate should also add a bit of extra spice to the game. For me this is the match of the year.

Dublin -7 evens.

Bet of the year.

J70

Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2014, 03:04:10 PM

The problem with coming up with a "masterplan" is that it assumes that Dublin are somewhat limited in how they can approach things or are short of options when it comes to solving any problems Donegal might throw at them. They don't seem to be either. We might keep it tight for a half or 50 minutes, but sooner or later you would have to fancy them to break through, given their sheers number of attacking options and their athleticism/skill, and put a bit of daylight between the teams. Then Donegal will have to come out a bit more and Dublin can really pick them off.

T Fearon

Agreed Hardy.I foolishly included Monaghan +9 yesterday with Armagh +4.Bet died after 25 minutes of Dublin game.

Captain Obvious

Tomas o se @tomas5ky  ·  11h
Talk all you like about defensive stuff but that was some game. Armagh were brilliant. Donegal big men stood up

Quote from: Zulu on August 10, 2014, 03:15:35 AM
It's because Donegal are far worse than pretty much anyone else. Most opponents have to play defensive football against Donegal due to the way they set up which leads to some god awful games. I would normally love to see Donegal win an All Ireland but as long as you play like you under Jimmy I hope you don't. I'll be supporting Dublin in 3 weeks time and I think most neutral supporters will also.

Most neutrals like O'Se would agree yesterdays game was a good watch. When Donegal won the All Ireland two years ago they played a good balance between defence and attack their games against Cork,Kerry,Mayo were all good viewing for any neutrals watching.

dublin7

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 10, 2014, 04:04:20 PM
Tomas o se @tomas5ky  ·  11h
Talk all you like about defensive stuff but that was some game. Armagh were brilliant. Donegal big men stood up

Quote from: Zulu on August 10, 2014, 03:15:35 AM
It's because Donegal are far worse than pretty much anyone else. Most opponents have to play defensive football against Donegal due to the way they set up which leads to some god awful games. I would normally love to see Donegal win an All Ireland but as long as you play like you under Jimmy I hope you don't. I'll be supporting Dublin in 3 weeks time and I think most neutral supporters will also.

Most neutrals like O'Se would agree yesterdays game was a good watch. When Donegal won the All Ireland two years ago they played a good balance between defence and attack their games against Cork,Kerry,Mayo were all good viewing for any neutrals watching.

2nd half was good to watch as it was close, but the first half & especially the first 20 minutes was hard to watch. Like looking at 2 rugby teams. Everybody back behind the ball and then try handpass it up the field. At least Mayo v Kerry will have 2 teams who try to play football. Donegal are a limited side who rely on Michael Murphy to get them out of trouble.  Instead of playing to their abilities they drag teams down to their level with turgid negative football & that's why almost all neutrals want them to get beat.   I think McGuinness will be only truly satisfied with his side's performance when he wins a game by 1 or 2 points to nil.