All Ireland Quarter Final Ard Mhacha v Dún na nGall

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, August 02, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: dublin7 on August 10, 2014, 04:32:11 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 10, 2014, 04:04:20 PM
Tomas o se @tomas5ky  ·  11h
Talk all you like about defensive stuff but that was some game. Armagh were brilliant. Donegal big men stood up

Quote from: Zulu on August 10, 2014, 03:15:35 AM
It's because Donegal are far worse than pretty much anyone else. Most opponents have to play defensive football against Donegal due to the way they set up which leads to some god awful games. I would normally love to see Donegal win an All Ireland but as long as you play like you under Jimmy I hope you don't. I'll be supporting Dublin in 3 weeks time and I think most neutral supporters will also.

Most neutrals like O'Se would agree yesterdays game was a good watch. When Donegal won the All Ireland two years ago they played a good balance between defence and attack their games against Cork,Kerry,Mayo were all good viewing for any neutrals watching.

2nd half was good to watch as it was close, but the first half & especially the first 20 minutes was hard to watch. Like looking at 2 rugby teams. Everybody back behind the ball and then try handpass it up the field. At least Mayo v Kerry will have 2 teams who try to play football. Donegal are a limited side who rely on Michael Murphy to get them out of trouble.  Instead of playing to their abilities they drag teams down to their level with turgid negative football & that's why almost all neutrals want them to get beat.   I think McGuinness will be only truly satisfied with his side's performance when he wins a game by 1 or 2 points to nil.

I know facts are a bugger, but how can any team which has almost 30 attempts at scoring be classed as negative?

As to the statement that nearly "all" neutrals want them beaten, it always amuses me to see fellas speaking for the whole country even when nothing at all backs up their ridiculous statements.

Begrudgery, plain & simple.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

armaghniac

Watching the hurling today, I suspect some of the rough and tumble would have been treated differently by the ref (or the media) yesterday, to say nothing of a trip with the hurl when the player was through, which didn't even merit a yellow but would have been a black card in football.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: dublin7 on August 10, 2014, 04:32:11 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 10, 2014, 04:04:20 PM
Tomas o se @tomas5ky  ·  11h
Talk all you like about defensive stuff but that was some game. Armagh were brilliant. Donegal big men stood up

Quote from: Zulu on August 10, 2014, 03:15:35 AM
It's because Donegal are far worse than pretty much anyone else. Most opponents have to play defensive football against Donegal due to the way they set up which leads to some god awful games. I would normally love to see Donegal win an All Ireland but as long as you play like you under Jimmy I hope you don't. I'll be supporting Dublin in 3 weeks time and I think most neutral supporters will also.

Most neutrals like O'Se would agree yesterdays game was a good watch. When Donegal won the All Ireland two years ago they played a good balance between defence and attack their games against Cork,Kerry,Mayo were all good viewing for any neutrals watching.

2nd half was good to watch as it was close, but the first half & especially the first 20 minutes was hard to watch. Like looking at 2 rugby teams. Everybody back behind the ball and then try handpass it up the field. At least Mayo v Kerry will have 2 teams who try to play football. Donegal are a limited side who rely on Michael Murphy to get them out of trouble.  Instead of playing to their abilities they drag teams down to their level with turgid negative football & that's why almost all neutrals want them to get beat.   I think McGuinness will be only truly satisfied with his side's performance when he wins a game by 1 or 2 points to nil.

Yeah, 2012 was really low scoring and turgid. There was no good football played that year against Derry, Down, Kerry, Cork or Mayo. And heaven forbid a team would rely on their best players to give them that edge.  :o

Oraisteach

I don't get this wringing about Donegal.  The object of the game is to win, so any tactic within the rules that accomplishes that aim is perfectly ok.  Tactics have changed, or maybe it's fairer to say there are tactics, or at least a wider array of them.  Dublin play their style, Donegal theirs.  And I'm not at all sure that Zulu's claim is right that neutrals will be cheering for Dublin. David will always be favored over a huge and we'll-funded Goliath.  So, come on, Donegal.

J70

Just watching bits of the game there - on the Armagh goal, Neil McGee was (accidentally) clipped/tripped by Brian Mallon and fell, allowing Mallon the space to receive the ball and run in along the endline before laying it across the square. Was wondering at the time how the hell Mallon found such space!

Whitnail

Fair amount of wides yesterday. even more than against Derry ,Antrim and it's kinda been a feature this year.It's worrying cause at the end of the day it's what decides matches.

At one point big neil Gallagher went for a pot shot from way out which was surreal enough cause he rarley shoots anymore. What was even more surreal was just how far wide it was ..remember thinking what the fcuk was that, then the camera switches to an angry McGuiness trowing a water bottle and clearly shouting "What the fcuk was that?"
Thompson, McFadden bad wides, I dont remember McHugh or McCloone even having a shot. Can't be dependent on McNiallis, McBrearty and Murphy to shoot scores the next day .. thats not gonna work. For me thats the big worry in 3 weeks.

The thing about McFadden is that you wonder will he get any space, the thing is , he might against Dublin but he's. probably likley to miss as much as he gets now.Jim brought him out of retirement and call me delusional but I still think there's one last performance in him.

lawnseed

Ive watched this game for the 3rd time and last time.. All it does is put my blood pessure up. Donegal were winning midfield hands down and young durkin is going short with his kickouts. Donegal played 30mins of the first half. Without scoring from play. Armagh well on top..

Ps jamie wont survive under geezer.. He doesnt do muscel power.. So I see a problem
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Harold Disgracey

A slightly disappointing finish to what has been an unexpectedly good championship run, I don't think too many people foresaw such a run. There is definitely potential in this team, hopefully some of the older players can be persuaded to stay on another year to help the younger guys develop further. The goalkeeping problem has been a chronic one and should have been dealt with a long time ago.

I didn't actually make it to the game, I got as far as the roundabout in Ardee where a Donegal supporter crashed into the back of my car, no doubt some of you were delayed as a result. Thankfully the only damage was done to the cars.

I was talking to a member of staff at Portadown railway station this morning and he told me that Armagh fans getting off the train on Saturday evening were attacked by a group of Linfield supporters and that a few of them, mostly pensioners required hospital treatment. Scum

Throw ball

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 11, 2014, 01:15:30 PM
A slightly disappointing finish to what has been an unexpectedly good championship run, I don't think too many people foresaw such a run. There is definitely potential in this team, hopefully some of the older players can be persuaded to stay on another year to help the younger guys develop further. The goalkeeping problem has been a chronic one and should have been dealt with a long time ago.

I didn't actually make it to the game, I got as far as the roundabout in Ardee where a Donegal supporter crashed into the back of my car, no doubt some of you were delayed as a result. Thankfully the only damage was done to the cars.

I was talking to a member of staff at Portadown railway station this morning and he told me that Armagh fans getting off the train on Saturday evening were attacked by a group of Linfield supporters and that a few of them, mostly pensioners required hospital treatment. Scum

There last point has been mentioned on Armagh forum by a number of people. Surprised it did not make news.

Applesisapples

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2014, 12:15:24 AM
I remember division three alright. That's real Sunday morning football.
Thats good, because thats where you'll be in two years.

Applesisapples

Quote from: armaghniac on August 10, 2014, 05:14:38 PM
Watching the hurling today, I suspect some of the rough and tumble would have been treated differently by the ref (or the media) yesterday, to say nothing of a trip with the hurl when the player was through, which didn't even merit a yellow but would have been a black card in football.
Limerick, like Donegal on Saturday found getting frees easier. McGrath was brutal for Killkenny, McQuillan not quite as bad but some glaring inconsistency in both games when it came to men surrounding the man in possession.

our_fella

Did McLoone get his oscar on Sat evening? Embarrassing would be an understatement

BluestackBoy

Quote from: our_fella on August 11, 2014, 05:26:46 PM
Did McLoone get his oscar on Sat evening? Embarrassing would be an understatement
What are you talking about man?

It was a brutal, unprovoked & savage attack that has no part in our beautiful game.

We are hopeful of him getting out of hospital this evening but the mental scars will take longer to heal.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

illdecide

Quote from: Throw ball on August 11, 2014, 01:19:17 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 11, 2014, 01:15:30 PM

There last point has been mentioned on Armagh forum by a number of people. Surprised it did not make news.

It would have been the Headlines had it been the other way about...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch