All Ireland Quarter Final Ard Mhacha v Dún na nGall

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, August 02, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP

Charlie Vernon did a good job on Murphy earlier in the year. I'd Andy Mallon will pick up McFadden with Donaghy as sweeper.

Really looking forward to this!! Will be an intense encounter.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

beer baron

Quote from: JP on August 03, 2014, 09:19:47 PM
Charlie Vernon did a good job on Murphy earlier in the year. I'd Andy Mallon will pick up McFadden with Donaghy as sweeper.

Vernon's having a very good season,outsider for an allstar granted a good game v Donegal?

JP

Quote from: beer baron on August 03, 2014, 09:44:20 PM
Quote from: JP on August 03, 2014, 09:19:47 PM

Vernon's having a very good season,outsider for an allstar granted a good game v Donegal?

Agreed!! For years noone knew what Charlie's best position was but he has turned into a brilliant full back. Certainly in with a shout for a nomination. McKeever will be a big loss for this game, would have suited him perfectly.

ranch

Quote from: Orior on August 03, 2014, 07:06:36 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 03, 2014, 03:17:21 PM
I think we'll bloody Donegal's nose but come up a bit short in the end, but we've nothing to fear and our expectations for the year have long been achieved.

Drowning aside, very enjoyable game yesterday. I'd worry most about our keeper tbh, in an age were there are a lot of high profile, multi functional keepers, we've got one who struggles with the basics. I also think Durkan is pretty rubbish and can't understand why he's rated so highly either, so maybe they will balance each other out. I think McKeever' s loss will also be more keenly felt v Donegal.

I noticed a lot of people rating Dyas's performance highly yesterday, great season and all that he's having I thought he was just ok, I thought for a long-time yesterday that he might be carrying an injury? He looked to me to be carrying tell tale signs of a sore back (maybe I'm miles off). I'd like to see big Toner in there for DG, Gallagher would swat Harald aside & Findon is only a cub.

We look comfortable in the system, fit, disciplined and fierce committed so we have a chance.

If we've nothing to loose, then it will be a good baptism for Harold and Findon. Is it true that McEvoy isn't the first choice keeper for Dromintee?

He is their first choice keeper.

Wildweasel74

Earlier in the year when tyrone tramped you in the McKenna cup  with Vernon at full back it was the manager hadn't a clue, go figure

StephenC

In fairness, Vernon has grown into that role this year. Playing great stuff now.

DuffleKing

Ah jaysus lads, Vernon has been marking at centre back for a good while now - even if he continues to wear 3.

T Fearon

Had close enough encounters with Donegal in both league and championship this year,so no reason to fear this game.

naka

Quote from: T Fearon on August 03, 2014, 10:36:31 PM
Had close enough encounters with Donegal in both league and championship this year,so no reason to fear this game.
I don't fear them but I am sure Jim will have a plan in place to stop the runners, still think the orchard has one more kick in them though.

Whitnail

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2014, 09:32:21 PM
Quote from: Whitnail on August 02, 2014, 11:46:01 PM
Blanketfest

Which team would have the higher tog value when it comes to blankets?

Tough one.
I think both blanlets have been tested over different terrains (apart from Monaghan of which one could possibly argue  our blanket had a superior weave and tog value).
But watching the Meath/Armagh highlights there is no doubt Armagh have sourced a quality blanket that can block and  stand up in  torrential rain.
As in 2012,  our 2014. blanket seems to have been sourced in Magees of Donegal town (known for quality tailoring). A good choice (In 2013 it was sourced from Senegal Jimmy... a man of dubious reputation in the fabric industry).

But I feel I've given away too much cause the rules of blanket (or blankey) club are clear

1/ You do not talk about blanket club
2/ You do not talk about blanket club
3/ What happens under the blanket stays under the blanket

ONeill

The key to Armagh winning this game is to have McKeever out. He's a liability.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

babarino

Quote from: ONeill on August 03, 2014, 11:41:02 PM
The key to Armagh winning this game is to have McKeever out. He's a liability.

Don't agree ONeill. McKeever would be a massive addition to Armagh against Donegal.

This will be a lot tighter than the bookies predict. Armagh are improving and Donegal put so much into winning the Ulster final that the focus won't be what's required for this one.

armaghniac

The pressure is on Donegal for this one. If Donegal beat Armagh by 2 or 3 points, most people would say that Armagh had a decent season and onwards from here. If Armagh beat Donegal then there will be talk of McGuinness leaving etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on August 04, 2014, 12:17:12 AM
The pressure is on Donegal for this one. If Donegal beat Armagh by 2 or 3 points, most people would say that Armagh had a decent season and onwards from here. If Armagh beat Donegal then there will be talk of McGuinness leaving etc.
Is he not leaving anyway?