All Ireland Quarter Final Ard Mhacha v Dún na nGall

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, August 02, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

I doubt if too many Donegal people will be taking Armagh lightly. They're there on merit and have looked pretty impressive. Many of our lads played in Crossmaglen in 2010 and should be dying for a crack at Armagh, who we haven't met since. And if there's any complacency, they only need to look back at the Monaghan game last year. Not that I think there will be complacency - Armagh's form should ensure that while we might be marginal favourites, there won't be much of a gap. That, and the historical scars, mean that some of us will be looking forward to this game with no small amount of nervousness and uncertainty, but that was the case before this year's Ulster final too!

brokencrossbar1

I'm looking forward to this game,  I will actually be up in Donegal for it as my lad is in Machaire Rabhairtaigh and we are heading up to see him on Saturday.  Last year we visited him on the day of the Ulster Final and watched the game in a pub up there.  We know the result and who knows maybe that is a portent for next week!

Maguire01

Quote from: J70 on August 03, 2014, 01:12:52 PM
I doubt if too many Donegal people will be taking Armagh lightly. They're there on merit and have looked pretty impressive. Many of our lads played in Crossmaglen in 2010 and should be dying for a crack at Armagh, who we haven't met since. And if there's any complacency, they only need to look back at the Monaghan game last year. Not that I think there will be complacency - Armagh's form should ensure that while we might be marginal favourites, there won't be much of a gap. That, and the historical scars, mean that some of us will be looking forward to this game with no small amount of nervousness and uncertainty, but that was the case before this year's Ulster final too!
Donegal at 1/7, Armagh at 7/2 on PP.

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 03, 2014, 01:30:30 PM

Really?

Ludicrous!

Armagh well worth a bet, so.

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 03, 2014, 01:30:30 PM

Whatever about the win, there might be interesting odds on the handicap.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

theres never much in a game that Donegal play but a 3pt lead to them is like a 7pt lead to any other team, it be tight due to the way Donegal play but they pull away in the 2nd half to win easy enough by 3/4Pt's

bennydorano

I think we'll bloody Donegal's nose but come up a bit short in the end, but we've nothing to fear and our expectations for the year have long been achieved.

Drowning aside, very enjoyable game yesterday. I'd worry most about our keeper tbh, in an age were there are a lot of high profile, multi functional keepers, we've got one who struggles with the basics. I also think Durkan is pretty rubbish and can't understand why he's rated so highly either, so maybe they will balance each other out. I think McKeever' s loss will also be more keenly felt v Donegal.

I noticed a lot of people rating Dyas's performance highly yesterday, great season and all that he's having I thought he was just ok, I thought for a long-time yesterday that he might be carrying an injury? He looked to me to be carrying tell tale signs of a sore back (maybe I'm miles off). I'd like to see big Toner in there for DG, Gallagher would swat Harald aside & Findon is only a cub.

We look comfortable in the system, fit, disciplined and fierce committed so we have a chance.

J70

Durkan is far and away the most improved player on that Donegal team. He was prone to regular howlers in his early years (e.g. getting beaten to a 45 that dropped short into the square in the '04 Ulster Final - he's about 6'5"; Marsden or McDonnell or whoever beat him in the air to flick the goal is not near that). Indeed he lost his place to Michael Boyle for a season or two. Now however, he's very commanding under the high ball, very good shot stopper for a massive (overweight  :P) man, and excellent distribution from the kick-outs. Rarely makes mistakes these days either.

Orior

Quote from: bennydorano on August 03, 2014, 03:17:21 PM
I think we'll bloody Donegal's nose but come up a bit short in the end, but we've nothing to fear and our expectations for the year have long been achieved.

Drowning aside, very enjoyable game yesterday. I'd worry most about our keeper tbh, in an age were there are a lot of high profile, multi functional keepers, we've got one who struggles with the basics. I also think Durkan is pretty rubbish and can't understand why he's rated so highly either, so maybe they will balance each other out. I think McKeever' s loss will also be more keenly felt v Donegal.

I noticed a lot of people rating Dyas's performance highly yesterday, great season and all that he's having I thought he was just ok, I thought for a long-time yesterday that he might be carrying an injury? He looked to me to be carrying tell tale signs of a sore back (maybe I'm miles off). I'd like to see big Toner in there for DG, Gallagher would swat Harald aside & Findon is only a cub.

We look comfortable in the system, fit, disciplined and fierce committed so we have a chance.

If we've nothing to loose, then it will be a good baptism for Harold and Findon. Is it true that McEvoy isn't the first choice keeper for Dromintee?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

stew

We are playing with house money at this stage, no pressure on this team and they are used to winning week and wek out so we will be confident.

Donegal will be by far the sternest test yet but I think we got this! Armagh by 2 points!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

maddog

general_lee

I think what I want more than anything from this Armagh team is another performance. They have produced results so far and confidence finally seems to be there.

I always reckoned for the last 3/4 years that Armagh had the players capable of making the last 8 and it's finally coming to fruition.

As for Donegal - no man will admit it but they think they have this in the bag (not without good reason mind). I think Armagh will match them for fitness but physically might be a bit lacking in some departments. I wouldn't want to see Morgan take McFadden for example. Nullifying Murphy will take some doing also!

Will lead to an intriguing encounter anyway; just pray there are no more injuries.

StephenC

StephenC

Quote from: general_lee on August 03, 2014, 07:30:08 PM
I think what I want more than anything from this Armagh team is another performance. They have produced results so far and confidence finally seems to be there.

I always reckoned for the last 3/4 years that Armagh had the players capable of making the last 8 and it's finally coming to fruition.

As for Donegal - no man will admit it but they think they have this in the bag (not without good reason mind). I think Armagh will match them for fitness but physically might be a bit lacking in some departments. I wouldn't want to see Morgan take McFadden for example. Nullifying Murphy will take some doing also!

Will lead to an intriguing encounter anyway; just pray there are no more injuries.

Absolutely. Out magnificent record against Armagh over the years means this is merely a procession for us. Away with that auld shite please.

J70

Quote from: StephenC on August 03, 2014, 09:02:38 PM
Quote from: general_lee on August 03, 2014, 07:30:08 PM

Absolutely. Out magnificent record against Armagh over the years means this is merely a procession for us. Away with that auld shite please.

Indeed.  General Lee needs to try harder!  :)