All Ireland Quarter Final Ard Mhacha v Dún na nGall

Started by THE MIGHTY QUINN, August 02, 2014, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Jinxy on August 09, 2014, 09:42:12 PM
To be honest, and I've thought this for some time, much of Clarke's reputation is based on his performances at club level against weaker opposition.
I don't think he's in the top ten inside forwards.
He'd still get a game for us though.

He hadn't a great day today, but Donegal don't leave much room and Dublin's success against Donegal will come from numbers rather than one player being brilliant. One of the challenges for Armagh is to make good use of him.

That said lesser teams, club teams and the likes of Meath or Leitrim can allow him express himself
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/classy-jamie-clarke-guides-armagh-to-victory-over-meath-in-navan-1.1709939
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

larryin89

Quote from: J70 on August 09, 2014, 06:32:10 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on August 09, 2014, 06:26:26 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 09, 2014, 05:37:57 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 09, 2014, 05:33:17 PM
McGee been a dirty bollix again

Impossible to like some of those Donegal players.

Hard luck Armagh.

+1

First time since 1977 I wanted Armagh to win.

Right, because it was only one team with players acting the bollocks today.  ::)

No but he acts the tr**p regularly , seem to remember him stamping on a lads chest last year too.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

SouthDublinBro

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2014, 09:42:57 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 06, 2014, 09:23:18 PM
Quote from: mackers on August 06, 2014, 10:52:01 AM
McKeever wouldn't have been picking up McFadden anyway....I'd put James Morgan on him.....James isn't playing particularly well at the min but he's the sort of aggressive back that McFadden doesn't like....I seem to remember him complaining after the league match of rough house tactics....he doesn't like it up him!!

McFadden is one of the most overrated players in the country. Laughable that he was a candidate for player of the year in 2012. Decent free taker, that's about it.

Pathetic attempt!  ;D

Care to revise your earlier analysis of my post? Worst player on the pitch today from either county.

Congrats on the deserved win against that dirty orange shower btw, looking forward to seeing Dublin trash another Ulster team.

Throw ball

Arrived home from the match disappointed but pleased with Armagh's run this year. Read the points here and most seem fair and balanced. Did not see what McGee is being slated for but know as an Armagh man that Forker can be a bit hot headed. The incident at half time with Lacey was similar to one he was involved in with Tony Kernan in Armagh championship last year. So it was probably nothing personal with Lacey and he would need to learn this time.

I then read a few other websites and started to get annoyed. Firstly there was the amount of comments of how bad a match it was and why would anyone want to watch Ulster football. If they don't enjoy it why are they watching it - just to have something to complain about. Some of the crap issued against Armagh would feed the believe that we have in the North that we are not very well liked by some in the 26 counties!

Then I listened to RTE. It seems they, and others, want Aaron Findon to face a long ban for pushing the Donegal doctor. Now there is no doubt that he shouldn't have done it. But we have to remember that this is a young fella of twenty and we all did stupid things at that age. We can also ask what was the doctor doing there anyway. I did not see anyone lying injured on the field. But that is besides the point. The referee dealt with the matter. We were told that nothing was done about the Meath v Dublin melee because the referee dealt with it. RTE can push as much as they like but if the CCCC pursue it Armagh will rightly ask questions. Besides is a push worse than a punch or a bite?

BennyCake

We could've taken Donegal today. Heartbreaking to lose by the minimum.

Couldn't understand why McEvoy kept hitting his kickouts at Neil Gallgher. No harm to him but we need a most reassured keeper in there.

ONeill

I thought Armagh were brilliant today.

Unfortunately they're a bit of a Wexford '08 and they'll flounder in division 3 next year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

I remember division three alright. That's real Sunday morning football.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

Just a note about the traffic. It was feckin' brutal. An hour and a half to get out of the college car park and onto the M1. Surely there's got to be something better than having to do this every time. I vowed tonight I'd never drive into Drumcondra gain on match day.

Any tips, anyone?

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2014, 12:11:41 AM
I thought Armagh were brilliant today.

Unfortunately they're a bit of a Wexford '08 and they'll flounder in division 3 next year.

If only you knew what D3 is like. Hopefully you'll sample that experience some day. The Armagh team minus the Cross ladeens will walk it if they don't have mass retirements.

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2014, 12:15:24 AM
I remember division three alright. That's real Sunday morning football.

Whoops, hit the wrong button. Armagh will cut through enough of the D3 teams to be promoted without much fuss. If Tipp could sort their defence they might be Armagh's sternest test and they're only after dragging themselves out of D4. Once a team gets caught in D3 for more than a season it becomes a cancer to good play, though.

Who is likely to retire, if anyone?

muppet

Quote from: BennyCake on August 10, 2014, 12:17:12 AM
Just a note about the traffic. It was feckin' brutal. An hour and a half to get out of the college car park and onto the M1. Surely there's got to be something better than having to do this every time. I vowed tonight I'd never drive into Drumcondra gain on match day.

Any tips, anyone?

If you are willing to walk 30 mins there a loads of places to park.
MWWSI 2017

BluestackBoy

Just in the door & had plenty of time on the way home to try & figure the game out. It was a real contest between two committed teams & as a game was head and shoulders above the second game, not Dublin's fault. The intensity & edgy stuff that went on is what I want to see in championship football.

Now, while I am glad to get the result there were a few things there today which would really have me fearful ahead of Dublin.

1. The kicking at goal was woeful at times.
2. McFadden's form is not where it needs to be. He improved in the second half but his first half was dire.
3. McBrearty, after a great Ulster final, went straight back to headless chicken mode with some very poor choices.

To beat Dublin we will need to be at 100% in every department and we are a long way short of that at the moment.
As for Armagh, it is great to see them back at the top table. I do think the kickouts killed them but 2014 will go down as a good year & surely promotion beckons.

Lastly, to the haters & begrudgers, get a life lads.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

J70

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 09, 2014, 11:48:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2014, 09:42:57 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 06, 2014, 09:23:18 PM
Quote from: mackers on August 06, 2014, 10:52:01 AM
McKeever wouldn't have been picking up McFadden anyway....I'd put James Morgan on him.....James isn't playing particularly well at the min but he's the sort of aggressive back that McFadden doesn't like....I seem to remember him complaining after the league match of rough house tactics....he doesn't like it up him!!

McFadden is one of the most overrated players in the country. Laughable that he was a candidate for player of the year in 2012. Decent free taker, that's about it.

Pathetic attempt!  ;D

Care to revise your earlier analysis of my post? Worst player on the pitch today from either county.

Congrats on the deserved win against that dirty orange shower btw, looking forward to seeing Dublin trash another Ulster team.

No, I don't.

He was easily the best forward in the country in 2012. If he had been anywhere close to that form today, we'd have won by five or six points. That he is currently desperately out of former doesn't change how good he was in 2012.

bennydorano

A lot of pissed off supporters on our bus home tonight, but as they calmed down I think they all agreed the best team won. It was there for the taking tho & Donegal probably wouldn't have kicked up too much of a fuss we'd won.

In the cold light of day McKeever & Caolan Rafferty probably would have got us over the line, but hypotheticals are bollix. We certainly have a brighter future than looked possible when we got relegated a few months back.

The need for a Goalie is obvious to all, Andy Mallon might call it a day, but with Morgan & Murray there we have the makings of a superb defence, Vernon looks like our FB for a while. Hb line looks ok and Mf isn't brutal. We need a few forwards tho.

The system should be persevered with, hope PG doesn't still think we can implement the total football philosophy, it was a waste of 2 years, We're knaves!

J70

Quote from: Throw ball on August 09, 2014, 11:58:22 PM
Arrived home from the match disappointed but pleased with Armagh's run this year. Read the points here and most seem fair and balanced. Did not see what McGee is being slated for but know as an Armagh man that Forker can be a bit hot headed. The incident at half time with Lacey was similar to one he was involved in with Tony Kernan in Armagh championship last year. So it was probably nothing personal with Lacey and he would need to learn this time.

I then read a few other websites and started to get annoyed. Firstly there was the amount of comments of how bad a match it was and why would anyone want to watch Ulster football. If they don't enjoy it why are they watching it - just to have something to complain about. Some of the crap issued against Armagh would feed the believe that we have in the North that we are not very well liked by some in the 26 counties!

Then I listened to RTE. It seems they, and others, want Aaron Findon to face a long ban for pushing the Donegal doctor. Now there is no doubt that he shouldn't have done it. But we have to remember that this is a young fella of twenty and we all did stupid things at that age. We can also ask what was the doctor doing there anyway. I did not see anyone lying injured on the field. But that is besides the point. The referee dealt with the matter. We were told that nothing was done about the Meath v Dublin melee because the referee dealt with it. RTE can push as much as they like but if the CCCC pursue it Armagh will rightly ask questions. Besides is a push worse than a punch or a bite?

McGee pushed a young Armagh forward backwards over the advertising hoardings after the ball had gone out of play.  Pointless act.