Round 4 Qualfier: Kildare v Monaghan

Started by Dinny Breen, July 20, 2014, 05:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Interesting! Revenge for Monaghan? Venue? Can Monaghan recover mentally? Have Kildare momentum? So many questions!
#newbridgeornowhere

armaghniac

Monaghan didn't do well today, for whatever reason. They are capable of improving, as evidenced by the first Armagh game and the second. I'd say they'll want to show that today is not their best shot and they'll be too good for Kildare.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rodney trotter

Talk of a double header with Meath/Armagh in Croke Park, August 2nd.

Main Street

It won't be a double header, Monaghan Kildare will be the header, with the Armagh Meath game on sometime shortly after lunch  :)

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2014, 05:40:08 PM
Interesting! Revenge for Monaghan? Venue? Can Monaghan recover mentally? Have Kildare momentum? So many questions!
There's no revenge mission for Monaghan, somewhere in the distant past we were well beaten by Kildare after losing in the Ulster Final, no complaints, nothing to seek vengeance for, but no doubt we will be looking for a reverse result.
I just saw a bit of the Leinster sf, the bit where Kildare looked good in the 2nd half, other than that I haven't got a clue where they're at.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 20, 2014, 06:06:39 PM

No!! Keep it the fup out of Croke Park, plus wtf should Kildare supporters have to pay double-header prices for a 3rd time. Surely Navan or Cavan would be a better choice!

Monaghan will go in as strong favourites but Kildare will have garnered a lot of belief from their two victories over Down and Clare. Clare were never going to be easy, that was a side that had won promotion, performed well against Kerry and had two championship wins so to win that coming from 6 points down will give this very young Kildare team a lot of confidence. The fact that we have finished all three championship games stronger also points to good squad dept and excellent conditioning. Monaghan are a physical team and have some nice footballers but coming out Ulster after 4 very physical games mightn't prepare them for the higher tempo less physical nature of the qualifiers, they will also be on an emotional downer so mentally will have to readjust targets, not always easy.

Kildare though based on reports were awful in the 1st half yesterday, our set-up was defensive, our match-ups were poor, conditions were muggy but not sure if that excuses the lethargy in some of the players. However I'm not sure through design or desperation we seem to be finding our form 15 and it looks we will have our form XV starting against Monaghan. We haven't had a bad championship, 3 wins is a good return and in hind-sight while a Leinster final would have been nice, a mauling from Dublin would have done nothing for our development and probably would have done a lot of harm. Instead we have a realistic goal of a quarter-final place and then a free shot.

Looking forward to this game and give us more than a punchers chance.
#newbridgeornowhere

armaghniac

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2014, 06:30:04 PM

No!! Keep it the fup out of Croke Park, plus wtf should Kildare supporters have to pay double-header prices for a 3rd time. Surely Navan or Cavan would be a better choice!

Apart from Kildare being one of the wealthiest counties in Ireland and Navan being a crap ground?
Kildare and Monaghan could be in Navan and Armagh v Meath in Cavan, I suppose.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

joemamas

already set for croke park,  will not be taken out of there, possibly part of treble header, including a minor game.

Dinny Breen

Surprised this is top of the bill, Kildare won't be bringing a big support.

84 years since Monaghan's last championship win in Croke Park  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

Bingo

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 21, 2014, 04:21:53 PM
Surprised this is top of the bill, Kildare won't be bringing a big support.

84 years since Monaghan's last championship win in Croke Park  :o

In fairness, we didn't play too many over the years.

I doubt anyone with vertigo will have to worry about their tickets for this game.

Main Street

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2107141421-football-championship-fixture-details-confirmed/

Saturday, August 2
Meath v Armagh, Croke Park, 5pm
Kildare v Monaghan, Croke Park, 7pm
Both games will be live on Sky Sports 3, which means there will probably be more inside Croke Park, than watching it on tv.

If Monaghan win, they will play Dublin in the last 8.
if Kildare win, it depends.

Jinxy

Quote from: armaghniac on July 20, 2014, 06:34:24 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 20, 2014, 06:30:04 PM

Apart from Kildare being one of the wealthiest counties in Ireland and Navan being a crap ground?
Kildare and Monaghan could be in Navan and Armagh v Meath in Cavan, I suppose.

You've some cheek.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Pity this isn't in Navan. There would have been a great atmosphere for it. Croke Park 2/3s empty does nothing for a championship match.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Main Street

It's official, Monaghan are over it. We have debriefed, gone through the grieving process, taken the blows on the chin and now looking ahead hungrily to the next game,

Darren Hughes refuses to dwell on final performance
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/darren-hughes-refuses-to-dwell-on-final-performance-30447591.html

Captain Scarlet

Kildare were neither attacking or defensive against Clare. No real guile up front but the lads who came in helped no end in that sense. The forwards need to step up again if they want to beat Monaghan.
I'd argue that both big man at full forward options should be left on the bench and we go for movement inside with Smith, brophy and mulhall.
Despite having no real threat up front at times the defensive unit was porous against Clare so McManus and Hughes will make hay unless that is sorted. This is not so much a dig at the lads playing 1-6 but those out the field who are not putting pressure on the ball.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Main Street

What we reckon is that Kildare are scared of meeting Dublin, therefore they will be glad to see the exit door.