Round 4 Qualfier: Kildare v Monaghan

Started by Dinny Breen, July 20, 2014, 05:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Go home ref on August 03, 2014, 02:22:50 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 03, 2014, 02:16:11 PM
Coldrick was good in the Down game, Monaghan like most Ulster teams are better tacklers than most, our defensive discipline in close quarters has been poor this year and definitely a work on for next year. It was a soft free but the referee is low down on the list of reasons why we lost.

We lost it in the 1st half of extra time with many sloppy turnovers and awful defending for the goal but its hard to take when a free like that is given and there is no way in hell he'd of given that up the other end but in saying that I wish Monaghan all the best in the next round and hopefully they will play like they did in the 2nd half and in 1st half extra time rather than how they played in the 1st half or they'll be in big trouble the next day
Whatever.

Main Street

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 03, 2014, 02:24:18 PM
Coldrick was good in the Down game, Monaghan like most Ulster teams are better tacklers than most, our defensive discipline in close quarters has been poor this year and definitely a work on for next year. It was a soft free but the referee is low down on the list of reasons why we lost.

Yeah it looked a soft enough call at the time (haven't seen a replay of it) but we have to learn how to play a referee. Most referees will blow for the foul in that situation when the attacking team are only a point down in injury time. We did the exact same thing down in Ennis and Clare kicked the free wide.
The double marking has to be one of the  most negative tactic going, combine that with the sweeper system, it would appear Kildare were trying to ape the most cynical of what Donegal did to Monaghan in the Ulster final,  but McManus was able to deal with it better in this game, getting out in front of tweedledum and tweedledee, time and time again, when he could catch the ball he did  and when he was given a hefty shunt from two players he went down, it was a free. One effective  difference in the attack  for Monaghan was that they had McGuinness starting,
Strange that Meath folded so easily against Armagh in the earlier game, Kildare who had folded so easily against Meath in the Leinster sf,  decided to wake up  in time for Monaghan, who had handled Armagh easily enough in the Ulster semi final replay.

babarino

GMF was right before the match, identifying Bolton as one to watch. His rash pull-down to earn the black was a significant moment.

Frustration with the ref was felt by both sides, but given the conditions he was always going to get some wrong. He's certainly a better ref than Cormac Reilly, who had another howler today. No way was Coldrick the main factor in Kildare losing. They lost mainly because they didn't have a left footed free taker. Overall they handled the conditions better than us, with a lot less fumbles.

K Hughes, had a good game, but he'd want to cut out the impetuous stuff. Very impressed with Jack McCarron and McGuinness who showed great form. We'll really need them to be firing on all cylinders next week.

Main Street

Bolton did get around the pitch. He was the player who accidentally  ran full force into the back of McGuinness, who also just happened to be clean through on goal. What a coincidence! I mean what are the chances of that happening?
I suspect Coldrick had that in mind when he black carded Bolton for the impetuous drag down.

Jinxy

I only saw the highlights as I had my fill of football after watching our game but I was hugely impressed with Smith.
I think he's the 'go-to' forward that you need if he can fulfill his potential.
Also, Boltons first goal was a cracker.
It's funny how things pan out, ultimately you've a lot more reasons to be optimistic for next year than we do.
If you were any use you'd be playing.