Long Kesh Park takes another step forward

Started by Donagh, April 16, 2007, 12:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Pootsie (from Lisburn) has been unveiled as Minister for Culture Arts and Leisure

From the Irish Times

-------------------
------------------

Paisley reveals DUP ministers for Stormont Assembly

The DUP today named former Ulster Unionist Arlene Foster as the party's Minister for the Environment in the next Stormont government which is to be restored on May 8th.

Ms Foster, who defected to the Democratic Unionists three years ago, is an Assembly member for Fermanagh and South Tyrone.

DUP deputy leader Peter Robinson, North Belfast MP Nigel Dodds and Lagan Valley Assembly member Edwin Poots will be the ministers of finance, enterprise and culture respectively.

Party leader the Rev Ian Paisley appointed his son, Ian Junior, to the junior minister role in the Office of First and Deputy First Minister.

His father will be sworn in as First Minister on May 8th alongside Sinn Féin's Martin McGuinness as Deputy First Minister.

Dr Paisley also announced that Lagan Valley MP Jeffrey Donaldson would be one of the party's four members on the Northern Ireland Policing Board.

The party leader was in optimistic mood on the steps of Stormont as he announced his team.

"I think we should rejoice that great confidence is born in the hearts of the majority of people in Northern Ireland," he said. "I am amazed by the responses on the streets, on the phone and in every place I visit.

"People here are not Democratic Unionists but who are grateful to us for all that we have achieved."

Mr Donaldson will be joined on the policing board by Upper Bann MP David Simpson, North Down Assembly member Peter Weir and West Tyrone Assembly member Tom Buchanan.

In the Assembly, Iris Robinson will chair the Health Committee, shadowing Ulster Unionist Minister Michael McGimpsey.

East Antrim MP Sammy Wilson will chair the education committee, South Antrim MP the Rev William McCrea will chair the agriculture committee and East Derry MP Gregory Campbell will chair of the social development committee.

Mr Donaldson was also named as the chairman of the new Assembly institutional review committee.

Dr Paisley would not be drawn on the reason why Foyle Assembly member William Hay was not included in the list of announcements today, having served on the Policing Board.

However, Mr Hay's absence fuelled speculation that he will be the DUP's nominee when the Assembly elects a new Speaker next month.

SammyG

A very sad day, but not the end of the fight. The Maze plans will have to be approved by the full executive not just Poots and there are already a significant number of NOs and a small number of UNDECIDEDs, who will all have to vote to spend up to £400 million on a vainty project and then go back, to their constituents and explain why there local school/hospital/youth club/library is closing.

GweylTah

Leaving the Maze plans aside, Edwin Poots definitely does not come across as a champion of sport, arts or culture. He seems a bit of a sour-puss from the 'tie-up-the-swings-and-shut-the-gates-on-a-Sunday' wing of the DUP. Is he is a big fan of the Arts and can people see him beng a big enthusiast for the Irish language, these being part of his remit?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Poots has all the charisma of a used nappy!

Jezuz even Sammy "pants down" would have been a better choice!!
Tbc....

ziggysego

Personally I'm not bothered whether it's built or not, but if it is.. then yes the GAA should be in.
Testing Accessibility

realredhandfan

nifan

While I am anti maze I have to say that the fact that a village idiot like poots can gain any sort of power is possibly even more concerning.

Donagh

Personally couldn't care less about it either but on the Poots thing, I was reading an article about him a few weeks ago and apparently he's a lot sharper than he looks. The piece may have been by the DUP sycophant Suzanne Breen though so I'm not sure if the portrait was very credible.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on April 16, 2007, 04:24:40 PM
Personally couldn't care less about it either but on the Poots thing, I was reading an article about him a few weeks ago and apparently he's a lot sharper than he looks. The piece may have been by the DUP sycophant Suzanne Breen though so I'm not sure if the portrait was very credible.

I had the 'pleasure' of meeting him and he could barely string a coherent sentence together. It's sad that fcukwits, like Poots, can get elected nevermind being given a ministerial role.  He also has shown no previous interest in sport or culture (apart from the Maze obviously) and doesn't list anything 'cultural' on his biogs.

nifan

in fairness donagh, being smarter than you look isnt an achievement when you look like that

ziggysego

No matter SammyG, the way the DUP are going to be doing things, he'll be moved onto another ministerial post in 6-12 months time.
Testing Accessibility

dubnut

Quote from: nifan on April 16, 2007, 04:30:12 PM
in fairness donagh, being smarter than you look isnt an achievement when you look like that

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Gs Man

Sammy....can I nominate a charity to receive that £20?  "The Captain Kennedy Benevolent Fund" will do nicely.  Or just buy 4 copies of our new cd when it comes out.
Keep 'er lit

SammyG

Quote from: The Gs Man on April 16, 2007, 07:46:37 PM
Sammy....can I nominate a charity to receive that £20?  "The Captain Kennedy Benevolent Fund" will do nicely.  Or just buy 4 copies of our new cd when it comes out.

The bet involved building the stadium and using it. There's a long, long way to go before it's built and even longer before there's anybody playing at it.

Wouldn't mind a promo CD, in the meantime.  ;)

nifan