R2 Qualifier Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, June 28, 2014, 07:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardchieftain

Quote from: Zip Code on July 07, 2014, 08:52:17 PM
Quote from: ardchieftain on July 07, 2014, 05:31:16 PM
Quote from: Zip Code on July 07, 2014, 02:01:16 PM
Armagh's rivalry has always been with Down, it is only those who found football in 2003 think Armagh's rivalry was with Tyrone.

Rubbish. Depends what part of the County you live in, where you went to school etc.

Or what age you are.  ;)

Aye, fair enough, you can add age to it if you wish and if you're implying that i only took a serious dislike for themmuns in the noughties you'd be wrong by about two decades.

omaghjoe

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2014, 12:03:14 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 07, 2014, 11:40:33 PM
Know I'm probably going over old ground here,but as Joe Kernan said in his book,without a shadow of a doubt had Marsden stayed on the field in 03

Why, what happened?

Oh he punched Philly Jordan and got the line... the apple munchers keep saying it wasn't a hard enough punch

omaghjoe

Have to say altho I wasn't in the country during much of the golden years I  enjoy the Armagh ones, always a bit o craic with them unlike the inbreds to the north of us whose general response to a bit of slagging is to get thick

BennyHarp

Quote from: T Fearon on July 07, 2014, 11:40:33 PM
Know I'm probably going over old ground here,but as Joe Kernan said in his book,without a shadow of a doubt had Marsden stayed on the field in 03 Armagh's traditionally strong finish would have made it two Sams in a row, and the 05 semi could have gone either way.

Tyrone's legacy of one All Ireland win proper and two back doors was puke football in a horrific era for our native games from which we are only beginning to emerge.Was there ever an uglier game than the 2003 All Ireland semi final.Contrast this with the late great Jock Stein's comments after Lisbon when he said that it was the way his side won the European Cup (pure beautiful inventive football) that gave him more pride and pleasure than merely winning it.

I will be surprised if Tyrone don't win on Sunday,but it matters little as both sides are well off the Ulster pace never mind All Irelands.

Indeed it is old ground Tony, but every now and then it's great to be reminded of how much Tyrone's All Ireland victories eat away at you Armagh lads. It's almost as if the circumstances of the 2003 victory has removed the joy you lads experienced in 2002 and you can't look back at that win without reliving the pain, regret and, most satisfyingly for us, the hatred and jealousy of 2003/05. Sometimes it feels like we have actually stolen the 2002 victory away from you as you can't enjoy it for what it was and move on, and I feel a little bit bad about that......but I soon get over it and laugh!
That was never a square ball!!

Aaron Boone

No one ever mentions 2004 and the same-day quarter-final shockers. That was one that got away for either. Kerry won her handy enough that year.

ONeill

Yea that was a mad day alright.

Who comes in for Harte? Joe start?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 08, 2014, 07:30:30 AM
No one ever mentions 2004 and the same-day quarter-final shockers. That was one that got away for either. Kerry won her handy enough that year.

Very true, i think both tyrone & armagh took their eye off the ball that year, it could quite easily have been 2 for armagh or 4 for tyrone
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Zip Code

Quote from: Rodman on July 07, 2014, 09:50:01 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 07, 2014, 09:29:47 PM
Quote from: Zip Code on July 07, 2014, 08:51:54 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2014, 04:51:52 PM
It's only now I can appreciate the Armagh games. Hated them at the time.

Hard to think which one was the most enjoyable. Maybe the McKenna Cup game in Casement when 90'000 turned up on a snowy January day.

Best memory - the '05 semi.
Worst memory - the '02 replay defeat

The '05 Ulster final defeat didn't bother me that much as you still thought Tyrone could win the AI.

Other memories - the Mugsy goal after about 10 seconds in '01. The NFL game in 2003 in Omagh. The drawn final in '05 when O'Neill tormented Bellew but the cuteness of McConville and McDonnell kept Armagh in it.

I think this is the 250th time you have said that on here since 2005 - my best memory was the 2002.  I always thought it was sweet especially the teams we beat to win the All-Ireland but as this message board grew and some of the bitter wee men from Tyrone signed up with the invention of football in 2003, it has become all the more sweeter as they really do resent, no matter what they say, that we won it before them.  It is great that it hurts them that much, yeah yeah 3 All-Irelands, cheated Armagh in 2003 and continue to ply your cheating trade, the whole country now sees you for what you are, now dry them.  ;D

I'd much prefer three all Ireland's to one.

And I think it will remain at 1 for a very very long time. I doubt any of us here will ever see Armagh lift Sam again but we see Tyrone lift it plenty of times.  Armagh are gone and they ain't coming back anytime soon while Tyrone will always be there or thereabouts.

What a completely stupid statement.

Zip Code

Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2014, 10:49:22 PM

Hard to think which one was the most enjoyable. Maybe the McKenna Cup game in Casement when 90'000 turned up on a snowy January day.

The '05 Ulster final defeat didn't bother me that much as you still thought Tyrone could win the AI.

Other memories - the Mugsy goal after about 10 seconds in '01. The NFL game in 2003 in Omagh. The drawn final in '05 when O'Neill tormented Bellew but the cuteness of McConville and McDonnell kept Armagh in it.

I think this is the 250th time you have said that on here since 2005

But you only registered a month ago.

And you have 6 or 7 users registered - what's your point?

Zip Code

Quote from: Rodman on July 07, 2014, 11:49:24 PM
Quote from: naka on July 07, 2014, 10:52:01 PM
Quote from: Rodman on July 07, 2014, 09:50:01 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 07, 2014, 09:29:47 PM

I think this is the 250th time you have said that on here since 2005 - my best memory was the 2002.  I always thought it was sweet especially the teams we beat to win the All-Ireland but as this message board grew and some of the bitter wee men from Tyrone signed up with the invention of football in 2003, it has become all the more sweeter as they really do resent, no matter what they say, that we won it before them.  It is great that it hurts them that much, yeah yeah 3 All-Irelands, cheated Armagh in 2003 and continue to ply your cheating trade, the whole country now sees you for what you are, now dry them.  ;D

I'd much prefer three all Ireland's to one.

And I think it will remain at 1 for a very very long time. I doubt any of us here will ever see Armagh lift Sam again but we see Tyrone lift it plenty of times.  Armagh are gone and they ain't coming back anytime soon while Tyrone will always be there or thereabouts.
Rodman catch a grip
You guys are like us
Also rans
I am sure Dublin Donegal and Kerry are quaking in their boots.
I just realised why I hate Tyrone when I hear crap from the redhand hordes

Semi-final last year, will probably make the q/f's every year for the foreseeable future. Might sneak into a final or two and win one. Can't see Armagh getting anywhere near a Q/F for the next 10 years. It's sad really as I really enjoyed those years playing Armagh when they were a force.

I take it you are 12 or 13.

EC Unique

2005 semi had it all. As somebody mentioned earlier big Sean putting wee Francie on his ass with a mighty shoulder was nice but for me Canavan splitting the post after McKeever's stupid foul made the year. Beating Kerry in the final was an anti-climax after the semi. 8)

Keyser soze

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 08, 2014, 03:33:25 AM
Have to say altho I wasn't in the country during much of the golden years I  enjoy the Armagh ones, always a bit o craic with them unlike the inbreds to the north of us whose general response to a bit of slagging is to get thick

Here u complete arsehole, are you looking a slap???  ;)

Rossfan

Any hope at all that Armagh could do us a favour and win this game so we don't have to face Tyrone four years in a row - if we get past Cavan of course.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

Quote from: Zip Code on July 08, 2014, 09:57:45 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 07, 2014, 10:49:22 PM

I think this is the 250th time you have said that on here since 2005

But you only registered a month ago.

And you have 6 or 7 users registered - what's your point?

Alrighty then. Hmm. School holidays by any chance?

McCrory on Jamie?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

you take er!

It cannot be argued that Tyrone have 3 All-Irelands to Armagh's 1. Well done and all that. 2 things though...

2003, as someone has already mentioned, Marsden getting the line was pivotal. Phillip Jordan had a great career and was a great player, but what he did that day was an act of cowardice deliberately getting a fellow player sent off when he was the initial aggressor who charged at Marsden. Marsden only raised his hands in protection. That had a major bearing on the game and deflated Armagh as much as it boosted Tyrone. I was at a blitz in Moy a couple of years ago where he was giving out trophies to the young lads, I'm sure he is a nice enough guy but I could hardly bring myself to look at him...such is my feelings about the incident to this day. >:(

2005, Tyronies saying that they were so sure that Tyrone were the better side and KNEW that they would beat Armagh. Maybe your memories of that game are different but there was one reason and one reason only why Tyrone won that game. It was not the brilliance of Tyrone or a master stroke from Harte...it was the inexplicable decision of Kernan to call Geezer ashore which gave Tyrone carte Blanche to move at will through the centre of our defence. Sean Cavanagh has publicly said so himself that this was the winning of the game.

So again well done, we are left with 'if onlys'.....

Around Sunday's game I find it hard to envisage and Armagh win. Not because we are not good enough per say but rather...

1. We are coming off the back of a defeat (7 day turnaround)
2. Tyrone are coming off a victory (14 day turnaround)
3.  It's in Omagh

We need 'a man with a plan' who can make the most of what we have. Grimley will prob go, will it be Geezer? Will it be Tony Mac? someone else??