USFC Semi-Final Armagh v Monaghan Saturday 28th June 7pm

Started by Agent Orange, June 15, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

I had to listen to the match on the radio. From what I could tell, Dyas got about two touches of the ball during the whole game.

Is that acurate? Did Monaghan man-mark him out?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bingo

Was strange yesterday - Monaghan never really looked in trouble or like they could lose the game. Seemed like they had the bit extra and were working really hard to put themselves in that position. This was particularly evident in second half.

But when you look back with the penalty, Armagh's missed chances especially from dead balls, the game should have been a lot closer.

I was worried when McKeever paired off with Jap, thought his running with the ball would hurt Monaghan and he'd have too much for Jap. But I think O'Rourke got it perfect, he was happy enough to let McKeever carry the ball forward but he had little end product in that he can't shoot and he was going to places where Monaghan where camped out waiting on him. When it did break down then, Jap was often the outlet to take the ball from defence to attack. He started slow enough but as game wore on he got to grips with the pace and played a big part.

Monaghan played much more as a team and they all handled the ball much more than the last day, where play was forced and some players where playing for themselves.

Badly needed break next weekend to recover before the Donegal game.

GrandMasterFlash

Much greater commitment and energy, 2 subs, no black cards, a mighty goal and kiked 18pts (by 8 different players by my reckoning). I was impressed by MOR in giving each defender a second crack at it, whereas other managers may have shook things up, shows confidence in the players. We could and should have been further ahead at half time however...

I was concerned about the McKeever/Finlay match up but it worked in that McKeever had to track Finlay whereas last week McKeever was being tracked.. Finlay done well, it's great to see him back in the team. I thought Paudie McKenna came into the game well as it wore on and performed the sweeper roll effectively. McManus is nearing his best again which is great to see.. I hope K Hughes is fit for the final as he's a handful for any full-back. I thought Darren started very well but seemed to fade as the game wore on; I think this may have been partly to do with the change of kick out tactic i.e. Beggan seemed to kick short in the latter stages.

All in all a good team performance. Looking forward to the final...

macdanger2

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 07, 2014, 08:49:06 AM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 06, 2014, 11:54:47 PM
There was a clear push in the back of Morgan, I think it was, by McManus. I was directly in line with it. Should have been a free out no question, I watched the Sunday Game to see their take on it & whether there should have been an Armagh penalty shortly before as I was too far away to pass judgement. They showed neither.

Only saw the highlights last night and straight away I noticed the push in the back, rewinded back a few times and it was clear as day.

Only saw the highlights as well but looked like a fairly clear push. Didn't affect the result but you'd prefer if the officials were getting these big calls correct

Main Street

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 07, 2014, 03:01:01 PM
There was a clear push in the back of Morgan, I think it was, by McManus. I was directly in line with it. Should have been a free out no question, I watched the Sunday Game to see their take on it & whether there should have been an Armagh penalty shortly before as I was too far away to pass judgement. They showed neither.

Only saw the highlights last night and straight away I noticed the push in the back, rewinded back a few times and it was clear as day.

Only saw the highlights as well but looked like a fairly clear push. Didn't affect the result but you'd prefer if the officials were getting these big calls correct
Where you get your clarity from I don't know. but it's not from watching the rte highlights.
If there was one thing clear in the highlights, was that by the time camera caught up with the flight of the ball, McManus had the ball and was galloping towards goal and the Armagh defender with hands up, was still trying to catch fresh air.
if McManus did  give him a nudge, the camera didn't catch it from any angle.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on July 07, 2014, 03:52:59 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 07, 2014, 03:01:01 PM

Where you get your clarity from I don't know. but it's not from watching the rte highlights.
If there was one thing clear in the highlights, was that by the time camera caught up with the flight of the ball, McManus had the ball and was galloping towards goal and the Armagh defender with hands up, was still trying to catch fresh air.
if McManus did  give him a nudge, the camera didn't catch it from any angle.
+1 I could see nothing on the RTE highlights.

SouthDublinBro

No sign of this phantom push shown on the Sunday Game. Seems like Armagh fans are just desperate to save a small bit of face.

Throw ball

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 07, 2014, 07:35:21 PM
No sign of this phantom push shown on the Sunday Game. Seems like Armagh fans are just desperate to save a small bit of face.

There was no sign of the black cards either. They mustn't have happened either.

babarino

Quote from: Throw ball on July 07, 2014, 08:22:32 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 07, 2014, 07:35:21 PM

There was no sign of the black cards either. They mustn't have happened either.

I think you've missed the point. The goal was shown and nothing in the Sunday Game footage suggested a push. I rewound it a few times to see, like others. Previous posters are saying that the push was clear to see - not the case.

We'll see if TG4 show now on has another angle.

jmk

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 06, 2014, 11:30:42 PM
Have to say, couldn't see any push for Monaghan's goal. Defender was far too far in front.
Defender wasn't too far in front until McManus pushed him there- and it was obvious to me sitting about  80 metres from the incident so no excuse for the ref to not see it.

babarino

Quote from: jmk on July 07, 2014, 08:46:47 PM
Have to say, couldn't see any push for Monaghan's goal. Defender was far too far in front.
Defender wasn't too far in front until McManus pushed him there- and it was obvious to me sitting about  80 metres from the incident so no excuse for the ref to not see it.

No mention of a push in The Irish News coverage, none of the Armagh supporters behind the goal called it, less than 30 meters away. No appeal from the 'pushed' player. One Armagh poster with bionic hearing said that McKeever raised it with the ref at half time. The first I heard of this push was on this board today.

Armamike

Quote from: babarino on July 07, 2014, 08:57:11 PM

No mention of a push in The Irish News coverage, none of the Armagh supporters behind the goal called it, less than 30 meters away. No appeal from the 'pushed' player. One Armagh poster with bionic hearing said that McKeever raised it with the ref at half time. The first I heard of this push was on this board today.

Not really surprising that.  Look, there's not one Monaghan supporter on this thread who's going to say they saw it, so we'll agree to disagree.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Maguire01

Quote from: Armamike on July 07, 2014, 09:52:08 PM

Not really surprising that.  Look, there's not one Monaghan supporter on this thread who's going to say they saw it, so we'll agree to disagree.
Possibly because none of them did see it. I'd have no problem saying it if I saw it. Its not like it would make any difference.
But I've seen the highlights and no sign of a push.
I've read numerous reviews in several papers / websites and no mention of a push.
No reaction from the Armagh player in question and no objection from any of the other players.
No mention of it from the Armagh camp post-game...

Anyway, it's all academic.

jmk

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 07, 2014, 10:04:38 PM
Quote from: Armamike on July 07, 2014, 09:52:08 PM

Possibly because none of them did see it. I'd have no problem saying it if I saw it. Its not like it would make any difference.
But I've seen the highlights and no sign of a push.
I've read numerous reviews in several papers / websites and no mention of a push.
No reaction from the Armagh player in question and no objection from any of the other players.
No mention of it from the Armagh camp post-game...

Anyway, it's all academic.
You didn't see it in the highlights because there was only 1 camera recording the match and the push had already happened before the camera picked McManus up

Throw ball

Quote from: Bingo on July 06, 2014, 08:03:25 PM
Far better Monaghan display with everyone upping their game. McManus a class act and still only 75% if that. Thought he got away with a wee nudie nudge for the goal. Couldn't see the peno incident too far away. First black card in front of me and thought on first look it wasn't, more of a collision.

Dick having some year. Dessie and mcgeeney had some slagging match on front if Gerry Arthur's in first half.

Good day.

Thought I would repost this from a Monaghan supporter earlier in the thread. The Irish News also mentioned it in the player ratings. I saw it quite clearly myself. The camera did not catch it does not mean it did not happen before the camera got there. The player did not complain because it would make damn all difference.

As for my bionic ears I saw McKeever speak to the referee at half time. He was definitely complaining about something. Finlay went over to make sure he was not trying to influence the referee I would surmise.

Some Monaghan posters must have a serious inferiority complex. They win a match and everyone agrees they are the better team yet they try to suggest Armagh supporters are not being truthful.