USFC Semi-Final Armagh v Monaghan Saturday 28th June 7pm

Started by Agent Orange, June 15, 2014, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babarino

Happy with the win of course and to have been spared groundhog day with the Tyronies next week. Armagh have some impressive players, particularly the big lad in midfield.

The half forward line needed to really up their game, having been so poor last week and so they did. Finlay made a big difference - you'd have to ask why he wasn't given decent game time before now. He was one of our best players in the league. Gallogly was very good also.

I was behind the goal when McManus bagged it and didn't notice any push. None of the Armagh supporters around me called it.

It was a good hard fought contest that will bring Monaghan on big time.

orange

Monaghan were the best team today, no argument,  they learnt more from the drawn game. They had more scoring threat than armagh, and we have massif job to lift boys for nxt week!
But as few here have already said, duffys performance today was nothing short of disgraceful!  How he missd ALL the big calls is shameful! Mcmanus clearly pulled armagh player to the ground 5mins in and duffy had a word with him but didn't give the black, clearly afraid after covrage mcmanus' black got last week. Then theres the peno claims, esp the 1 before monaghans goal, which itself was a push in the back! Armagh got a few frees in sympathy when the game was out of sight, but this clown should never be allowd near a senior chsmpionship again!
But good luck to monaghan in the final, at times today you reminded me of armagh in the early 00's in that we learnt from drawn games and upped the intensity for today,  and you controlled the game for long periods which was very impressive,  but you will need hughes for the final, he was clearly struggling today.

Throw ball

Quote from: Bingo on July 06, 2014, 08:03:25 PM
Far better Monaghan display with everyone upping their game. McManus a class act and still only 75% if that. Thought he got away with a wee nudie nudge for the goal. Couldn't see the peno incident too far away. First black card in front of me and thought on first look it wasn't, more of a collision.

Dick having some year. Dessie and mcgeeney had some slagging match on front if Gerry Arthur's in first half.

Good day.

Glad to see that my orange blinkers were not wrong. First black card was right in front of me and I thought it very harsh. Morgan was definitely fouled as McManus tried to get space for goal. He then looked very nervous. Will learn from that.

On saying that Monaghan took some excellent scores and deserved to win. For Armagh the lack of match fitness for Donaghy and Forker really showed. The Raffertys were really missed and the disciplinary omission of a couple of players at the start of the year means options on the bench are more limited. On the bright side Findon looks as if he has the makings of a midfielder.

Best of luck to Monaghan in final. Just hope Armagh do not get embarrassed next week.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: orange on July 06, 2014, 09:38:01 PM
Then theres the peno claims, esp the 1 before monaghans goal, which itself was a push in the back!
The penalty chance came from a sideline ball awarded to Armagh that clearly was an incorrect call. Ironically Monaghan mightn't have broken down the field for the goal if they'd been correctly awarded the sideline in the first place.

Armamike

The only positive from today for Armagh was the ladies winning - there was nothing to take away from the second game.  Tactically Monaghan won out by getting their half forward line much more involved around the middle and in for the breaking ball, which left them with more space up front and the likes of McManus in more one on one situations this week. But individually Monaghan players pretty much won all their personal duels all over the pitch.  Players that stood out for Armagh last week had poor games today, and Monaghan's underperformers last week improved a lot.  The players that were suspended and came back for Armagh were very poor which points the finger at management for not sticking with the team that finished last week.  Armagh finished the game a shapeless mess with forwards playing as full backs and full backs playing in the forward line. That for me was the dispiriting thing rather than the result. Monaghan were 10 points plus a better team today.  One step forward for Armagh the past few weeks and 2 steps back today. Tyrone will be licking their lips for next week - it's their's to lose basically.  Well done Monaghan, should be a good tussle with Donegal.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Maguire01

Have to say, couldn't see any push for Monaghan's goal. Defender was far too far in front.

Harold Disgracey

There was a clear push in the back of Morgan, I think it was, by McManus. I was directly in line with it. Should have been a free out no question, I watched the Sunday Game to see their take on it & whether there should have been an Armagh penalty shortly before as I was too far away to pass judgement. They showed neither.

illdecide

Was very disappointed with Armagh today, I seriously can't pick out a player who won their personal battle today (whatever role they were given). Monaghan bossed the game from start to finish and we lived of their scraps. McManus is one of the best forwards in Ireland and showed his class today but he has good players around him too and I hope Monaghan can beat Donegal in the final...good luck lads.

As for Armagh... Where do u start? Why did we look so lethargic and heavy legged today? We have to play Grugan in hf line for scores as i believe the hf line is our worst line. We have no scoring threat there at all and J Clarke will win his battle against the best defenders  in ff line but he cant do it on his own. My worst fears are coming true and to exit the Championship next week in Omagh is just too much to bear, we have a woeful record against Tyrone and with 6-7 days to prepare it certainly does not look good...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 06, 2014, 11:30:42 PM
Have to say, couldn't see any push for Monaghan's goal. Defender was far too far in front.
The embarrassed defender didn't complain either, probably would have preferred the ground to swallow him up, Duffy had no decision to make on that one.

babarino

Quote from: Main Street on July 06, 2014, 11:57:01 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 06, 2014, 11:30:42 PM
The embarrassed defender didn't complain either, probably would have preferred the ground to swallow him up, Duffy had no decision to make on that one.

Seen from behind the goals: Armagh defender misreads the flight of the ball, McManus catches. Armagh defender doesn't rugby tackle him, McManus rattles the net. McManus responds to the verbals he was getting from the start of the game.

Throw ball

No harm to you lads but McManus pushed Morgan without doubt. He had a hold of his jersey around the shoulder area and pushed him firmly just as Hughes turned to kick the ball in. That is why the defender was a yard in front of him. He got away with it. Good luck to him. As for Armagh not complaining. McKeever had a stern word with Duffy on the way off at half time. Also for any team with Dessie Mone on it to complain about verbals is a bit much.

On a slightly different note I feel the media ban is not helping Armagh at all. In yesterday's Irish News Paddy Heaney continued his attack on Armagh suggesting to Kieran Hughes that he would hope to get more protection from referee this week. That despite Hughes having no complaints and his marker, Vernon, probably being one of the cleanest defenders in Ulster. Then today Monaghan manage to get a couple of soft frees in front of goals for off the ball fouls. This week Armagh will need to get the word out that Clarke needs more protection.

I would love to see Monaghan win in two weeks and I know Armagh will have a few Monaghan men in Omagh next week cheering them on.

Main Street

The alleged Monaghan media ban wasn't followed too closely, there was an interview with Dessie Mone broadcast on Northern Sound before the game and some other interview with another player,  elsewhere.

Seeing as Tyrone are not as strong as Monaghan,  if a few things go Armagh's way next week, they will be much more competitive. Consistency though is another issue.

Maguire01

Quote from: Throw ball on July 07, 2014, 12:23:51 AM
No harm to you lads but McManus pushed Morgan without doubt. He had a hold of his jersey around the shoulder area and pushed him firmly just as Hughes turned to kick the ball in. That is why the defender was a yard in front of him. He got away with it. Good luck to him. As for Armagh not complaining. McKeever had a stern word with Duffy on the way off at half time. Also for any team with Dessie Mone on it to complain about verbals is a bit much.

On a slightly different note I feel the media ban is not helping Armagh at all. In yesterday's Irish News Paddy Heaney continued his attack on Armagh suggesting to Kieran Hughes that he would hope to get more protection from referee this week. That despite Hughes having no complaints and his marker, Vernon, probably being one of the cleanest defenders in Ulster. Then today Monaghan manage to get a couple of soft frees in front of goals for off the ball fouls. This week Armagh will need to get the word out that Clarke needs more protection.
To be fair to Duffy, he blew frees against both teams for off the ball fouls against forwards.

general_lee

I'm glad others have picked up on the push for the Monaghan goal, I thought I had been seeing things. Not that it would have had any bearing on the end result - Monaghan far and away the better side.

Armagh had chances to make a better contest of it and fluffed these. A lot of misplaced passes and wrong options taken especially up front. The ease at which Monaghan were able to waltz up the field and pick off scores was particularly worrying.

Call me an eternal optimist but I still think Armagh can get a result in Omagh. It's a case of getting yesterday out of the system and going at Tyrone. Nothing to lose, fans won't give the team a chance and neither will the media. The beating in the McKenna cup should earlier this year should act as some motivation, not that any should be needed against that lot.

nrico2006

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on July 06, 2014, 11:54:47 PM
There was a clear push in the back of Morgan, I think it was, by McManus. I was directly in line with it. Should have been a free out no question, I watched the Sunday Game to see their take on it & whether there should have been an Armagh penalty shortly before as I was too far away to pass judgement. They showed neither.

Only saw the highlights last night and straight away I noticed the push in the back, rewinded back a few times and it was clear as day.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'