Is it about time we grew up and stopped gloating about England's misfortunes?

Started by Eamonnca1, June 15, 2014, 11:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 16, 2014, 10:06:50 AM
I wouldn't say I support them. I'm certainly not driving around with an England flag, but I do like to see them doing well. I feel sorry for the craturs at this stage.

I dont really like to see them do well, but I do like to see them progress, as it makes the tournament more interesting for me. And therein lies the paradox!

ardal

Why do we like to see England fail?

Ignoring politics and accepting that we all have access to English tv the answer is simple .

Continued reference to 1966.

I also want them to get through the group stages and then be knocked out after pens

Eamonnca1

I used to cheer against them myself. Living in England for a while it became harder to do that, I became a lot more sympathetic. I can understand how people would say there's no compelling reason to cheer for them. Personally, depending on who they're playing, I tend to root for them on the basis of rooting for the underdog. I just feel a little odd knowing that there's so many Irish people cheering against them while I don't see much evidence of them reciprocating. The English don't exactly cheer against the Irish team so I think it's a bit mean-spirited of us to be doing it to them. On the other hand, they don't really notice because they have bigger fish to fry. But as long as it's "just a bit of craic" I'll withhold the wagging finger of disapproval for now.

Carry on.

general

stop gloating, have yourself on, its great craic laughing at the english!! ;D ;D ;D

Nally Stand

Quote from: OakleafCounty on June 16, 2014, 09:58:28 AM
I don't see why some people think it's the 'mature' thing to support England.

It's the same mentality (from the same opening poster) that continually argued a few years back that Lizzie Windsor needed to be welcomed to Ireland in order for us to become mature. Such self-debasement makes my skin crawl.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

845 years 47 days and counting

QuoteI'll withhold the wagging finger of disapproval for now.

Strikingly noble of you.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 16, 2014, 10:42:53 AM
I used to cheer against them myself. Living in England for a while it became harder to do that, I became a lot more sympathetic. I can understand how people would say there's no compelling reason to cheer for them. Personally, depending on who they're playing, I tend to root for them on the basis of rooting for the underdog. I just feel a little odd knowing that there's so many Irish people cheering against them while I don't see much evidence of them reciprocating. The English don't exactly cheer against the Irish team so I think it's a bit mean-spirited of us to be doing it to them. On the other hand, they don't really notice because they have bigger fish to fry. But as long as it's "just a bit of craic" I'll withhold the wagging finger of disapproval for now.

Carry on.

Like someone said, 800 years and all that...

The English did the invading of half the world, and it's not just the Irish that want their football team to fail. So do the French, Germans, Scots, Welsh, Argentinians, Spanish etc etc. The English can't understand why nobody likes them either which I find strange.

deiseach

The only way you can watch this...

...and not want England to lose everything, ever, is to be married to one of them.

ziggysego

Quote from: deiseach on June 16, 2014, 11:46:35 AM

...and not want England to lose everything, ever, is to be married to one of them.

So erm.... living in England with a partner deiseach? ;)
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

laoislad

Quote from: deiseach on June 16, 2014, 11:46:35 AM

It's like being married to a Dub.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

Precious little gloating going on about Dublin's misfortune at the moment...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on June 16, 2014, 11:15:40 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 16, 2014, 10:42:53 AM

Carry on.

Like someone said, 800 years and all that...

The English did the invading of half the world, and it's not just the Irish that want their football team to fail. So do the French, Germans, Scots, Welsh, Argentinians, Spanish etc etc. The English can't understand why nobody likes them either which I find strange.
For me it has got little to do with "800 years and all that". I find the red top newspaper style of support and the "Engerland, Engerland" supporters who read them, equally nauseating. Therefore it is very easy for me to want them to fail. It doesn't mean I don't like England or the English, on the contrary I have a lot of time for the country, Liverpool FC and the people. However there is a subset I like to see with egg on their face as often as possible. Does that make a bad person?  :D

Orior

Some hilarious comments on this thread!

I'm with BennyHarp, except that I would like to see England win because some of the players deserve it. I've learned to ignore the press. Plus, I'd rather see England win than OWC. I work with a few OWCers and all they want to talk about is England.

OWCer: "Did you see the match yesterday?"

Orior: "Absa-bloody-lutely. It was a cracker wasnt it? But they deserved to loose. I mean everytime Cavanagh was fouled he was actually pulling the Farney man's arm down on top of him."

OWCer: "Oh... er... emm... yeah"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on June 16, 2014, 01:28:56 PM
Some hilarious comments on this thread!

I'm with BennyHarp, except that I would like to see England win because some of the players deserve it. I've learned to ignore the press. Plus, I'd rather see England win than OWC. I work with a few OWCers and all they want to talk about is England.

OWCer: "Did you see the match yesterday?"

Orior: "Absa-bloody-lutely. It was a cracker wasnt it? But they deserved to loose. I mean everytime Cavanagh was fouled he was actually pulling the Farney man's arm down on top of him."

OWCer: "Oh... er... emm... yeah"

Ha, did something similar this morning with a lad who would have a passing interest in GAA but most of the others wouldn't have a clue.
He asked me did I watch the game yesterday and I said that I did, 'fantastic piece of skill by Lehane for that point' was met by a lot of eh's and bemused looks.