Football Qualifiers 2014

Started by blanketattack, May 20, 2014, 11:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2014, 01:02:03 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on July 07, 2014, 12:44:38 PM
Am I right to assume in the 1/4 finals Kerry can only be drawn against either one of the 3 other provincial runners up (i.e. not Cork) or one of the teams coming through the A side (Sligo, Limerick, Laois, Tipperary) or will the whole A, B thing have disappeared by then?

Or Mayo/Galway, depending on who loses the Connacht final. A and B sides remain in R4.

Incorrect, Kerry will only play losers on Connaught final, or whoever may beat them in last round of B qualifiers, i.e Sligo/limerick/laois/tipperary. The winners of connaught will play Cork or whoever may beat them in last round of B qualifiers, i.e, Sligo/limerick/laois/tipperary

In my opinion, it is a total coc* up of a draw, if I were the CEO of the GAA, I would fire the people who somehow bullshitted people into how this was more attractive than previous years, In theory it allows the beaten provincial finalists more than a week off, but aside from that, it is in my mind an own goal. Why you may ask,

1. It has taken away August Bank Holiday as the true beginning of the championship, when the four quarter final were held.

2. It could have a dramatic effect on the attendance for Q/final on that weekend now Kerry V one of the above mentioned, coupled with lets say Mayo v one of the above, it could prove to be the lowest attendance for a Q/final double header since the backdoor was introduced, as I doubt Kerry or Cork (should they qualify )people will travel in big numbers. You will have Kerry V (Galway/Mayo) or /Sligo/limerick/laois/tipperary and Mayo(galway) V Cork/Sligo/limerick/laois/tipperary.
There may be some red faces in Croke Park on that Sunday, whereas it should have marketed as the kick off to the closing stages of the Ireland series.

3. In Previous years, when four Finals were on same weekend the GAA could mix and match to get a decent attendance, not this year, as leinster V Ulster q/finals are set for Saturday evening August 9th.

4. Part of theory of all of this was to have some definite schedule, what if last round of qualifiers ends in a draw, that goes out the window.

5. Finally, who decided what teams went into qualifiers A and B, it is most lopsided I have ever seen.

Syferus

Quote from: joemamas on July 07, 2014, 01:31:18 PM
Am I right to assume in the 1/4 finals Kerry can only be drawn against either one of the 3 other provincial runners up (i.e. not Cork) or one of the teams coming through the A side (Sligo, Limerick, Laois, Tipperary) or will the whole A, B thing have disappeared by then?

Or Mayo/Galway, depending on who loses the Connacht final. A and B sides remain in R4.

Incorrect, Kerry will only play losers on Connaught final, or whoever may beat them in last round of B qualifiers, i.e Sligo/limerick/laois/tipperary. The winners of connaught will play Cork or whoever may beat them in last round of B qualifiers, i.e, Sligo/limerick/laois/tipperary

In my opinion, it is a total coc* up of a draw, if I were the CEO of the GAA, I would fire the people who somehow bullshitted people into how this was more attractive than previous years, In theory it allows the beaten provincial finalists more than a week off, but aside from that, it is in my mind an own goal. Why you may ask,

1. It has taken away August Bank Holiday as the true beginning of the championship, when the four quarter final were held.

2. It could have a dramatic effect on the attendance for Q/final on that weekend now Kerry V one of the above mentioned, coupled with lets say Mayo v one of the above, it could prove to be the lowest attendance for a Q/final double header since the backdoor was introduced, as I doubt Kerry or Cork (should they qualify )people will travel in big numbers. You will have Kerry V (Galway/Mayo) or /Sligo/limerick/laois/tipperary and Mayo(galway) V Cork/Sligo/limerick/laois/tipperary.
There may be some red faces in Croke Park on that Sunday, whereas it should have marketed as the kick off to the closing stages of the Ireland series.

3. In Previous years, when four Finals were on same weekend the GAA could mix and match to get a decent attendance, not this year, as leinster V Ulster q/finals are set for Saturday evening August 9th.

4. Part of theory of all of this was to have some definite schedule, what if last round of qualifiers ends in a draw, that goes out the window.

5. Finally, who decided what teams went into qualifiers A and B, it is most lopsided I have ever seen.

I get what you mean but right now it's not incorrect. Kerry can end up playing anyone but Cork. It will be narrowed down only when the R3 winners and Connacht final losers are known.

It is a total mess of a change and really makes the GAA look amateurish in the worst possible way. How something so fundamental didn't have more over-sight is pretty amazing. I have to imagine this format's goose is already cooked for next year.

joemamas

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2014, 01:49:00 PM
Quote from: joemamas on July 07, 2014, 01:31:18 PM

I get what you mean but right now it's not incorrect. Kerry can end up playing anyone but Cork. It will be narrowed down only when the R3 winners are known.

It is a total mess of a change and really makes the GAA look amateurish in the worst possible way. How something do fundamental didn't have more over-sight is pretty amazing. I have to imagine this format's goose is already cooked for next year.

I believe I may be correct on this one as if you look at Gaa schedule for Saturday August

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/

magpie seanie

Looks like Sligo v. Limerick is at 4pm Saturday in Markievicz.

Syferus

Sligo will have played three championship games since we last played.

Madness.

westbound

have any of the times for saturday/sunday been confirmed by GAA yet?

AZOffaly

Yeah. Another Tipperary double header, this time in Portlaoise.

Footballers v Laois at 4.45 pm
Hurlers v Offaly (gulp) at 7pm

drici

Quote from: westbound on July 07, 2014, 02:49:33 PM

have any of the times for saturday/sunday been confirmed by GAA yet?

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/0707141427-upcoming-championship-fixture-details/
FOOTBALL QUALIFIER FIXTURE DETAILS

Saturday, July 12
AllIreland Senior Football Championship Round 3A Qualifiers
Sligo v Limerick, Markievicz Park, 4pm
Laois v Tipperary, O'Moore Park, Portlaoise, 4.45pm

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Round 2B Qualifier
Cavan v Roscommon, Breffni Park, 6pm

Sunday, July 13
All Ireland Senior Football Championship Round 2B Qualifiers
Down v Kildare, Páirc Esler, 2pm
Carlow v Clare, Dr. Cullen Park, 2pm
Tyrone v Armagh, Omagh, 3pm

westbound

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on July 07, 2014, 02:49:06 PM
Sligo will have played three championship games since we last played.

Madness.

+1.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

drici

Quote from: snoopdog on June 30, 2014, 05:06:53 PM

hi guys,
How much was it in to Omagh on Saturday.
In Newry yesterday they charged 13 GBP for stand and Terrace. I thought it was strange that they only had the one price, surely the terrace should be cheaper? io asked why that was and they said ask the Ulster council. Just wanted to confirm if it was the same at Omagh.

Looks like it jumps from 13 quid/15 Euros for Round 2 General Admission to 18 quid/20 Euros for Round 3 games.

https://secure.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/19658/gaa-football-all-ireland-qualifier-rd-3a-sligo-v-limerick-markievicz-park-sligo-12-July-2014
https://secure.tickets.ie/Booking/EventTickets/19658/gaa-football-all-ireland-qualifier-rd-3a-sligo-v-limerick-markievicz-park-sligo-12-July-2014

Syferus

The Qualifiers have been an unmitigated f**k up this year.

babarino

PREDICTIONS
HOME WINS FOR ALL EXCEPT SLIGO AND CAVAN:

Sligo v Limerick, - LIMERICK (Sligo seem to be at a low ebb)
Laois v Tipperary, - LAOIS (Home advantage swings it in favour of Laois)
Cavan v Roscommon, - ROSCOMMON (Roscommon look like they could go places in the next couple of years, Cavan without Mackey)
Down v Kildare, Páirc Esler, - DOWN (Kildare on the way down)
Carlow v Clare, Dr. Cullen Park, CARLOW (Home advantage...neither will get beyond next match)
Tyrone v Armagh, Omagh, - TYRONE (Unfair short turnaround for Armagh)

Syferus

Quote from: babarino on July 09, 2014, 08:30:24 PM
PREDICTIONS
HOME WINS FOR ALL EXCEPT SLIGO AND CAVAN:

Sligo v Limerick, - LIMERICK (Sligo seem to be at a low ebb)
Laois v Tipperary, - LAOIS (Home advantage swings it in favour of Laois)
Cavan v Roscommon, - ROSCOMMON (Roscommon look like they could go places in the next couple of years, Cavan without Mackey)
Down v Kildare, Páirc Esler, - DOWN (Kildare on the way down)
Carlow v Clare, Dr. Cullen Park, CARLOW (Home advantage...neither will get beyond next match)
Tyrone v Armagh, Omagh, - TYRONE (Unfair short turnaround for Armagh)

Wouldn't fancy that Limerick side at all. Besides Offaly they were the most lifeless team we faced in D3 this year. Really loose and really slow to react. At home it's hard to look past Sligo. They won't hand in as limb a display as they did in their last match at Markievicz.

Zulu

Sligo v Limerick, - SLIGO (Home advantage to swing a game that could go either way)
Laois v Tipperary, - LAOIS (Home advantage to swing a game that also could go either way, Tipp are on the way up though)
Cavan v Roscommon, - ROSCOMMON (Roscommon, though I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Cavan nicked a low scoring game)
Down v Kildare, Páirc Esler, - KILDARE (Hard to justify this selection but I just think Kildare are capable of pretty big things)
Carlow v Clare, Dr. Cullen Park, CLARE (The only lock this weekend, Carlow are the worst team in Ireland and Clare are definitely not, should win handy)
Tyrone v Armagh, Omagh, - TYRONE (Tyrone are simply better at the moment and the short turn around means there should be no surprises)