Dubl$n v Laois Sunday June 8th 2014 Dubl$n at home as always

Started by Dont Matter, May 20, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnybegood

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 15, 2014, 08:20:56 PM
Quote from: Johnnybegood on June 15, 2014, 04:36:14 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 15, 2014, 02:25:00 PM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on June 15, 2014, 11:05:01 AM
If Dublin Gaa is split the amount off Dublin fans that will walk away from the game will be phenomenal !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe so
But the 'big' Dublin support was missing before pat gilroys tenure , then markedly absent in 2011 IMO - so the dubs like most fans have a hard core support with a majority of fair weather fans that come out to support a winning team.

If a split ever happened then a winning team would have to come about to create a fan base!

Dublins split teams given close proximity to large populations of fans stand a better chance of doing this than anyone else!
Esp given the rise in interest in sports and GAA in particular and being aimed at kids and families ( ticket prices for these need to be kept v low).

Any possible split is a long way off lads!
again another post sidestepping the facts, during the noughties Dublin regularly filled croker during Tommy Lyons and Paul Caffereys reigns, Dublin have been well supported regardless of success since the 70s,  that will all go if the county were to be split.
Nope
I attend a lot if not most of these games and when all is going well or it's nearing the culmination of the season , croker is fuller and it can be harder to get tickets.
Some seasons in past 6 years the crowds have been sparse enough for me to recall wondering where the fecking fans have all gone.
I don't have stats and no axe to grind here either way but my eyes are decent!

If anything I was disappointed in the lower attendance as I want football to consume the passions and be the priority sport for Dublin kids and denizens!

Peaks and troughs I suppose, and the fickle nature of people and fans in general!

Don't get your knickers in a twist!! It's just a personal observation!
I'm not wearing any!
Point being a split of Dublin and it's bye bye to big crowds.

Zulu

Not sure that's true but the GAA won't cook it's golden goose and nor should it.

Canalman

Keep saying it , if the traditional  intercounty structure is broken up by splitting up Dublin then county mergers will be next.
Laois/Carlow v Fingal in the 1st round of the LSFC. Sligo/Leitrim v Galway in CFC.

Be careful what you wish for guys.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Canalman on June 15, 2014, 10:38:19 PM
Keep saying it , if the traditional  intercounty structure is broken up by splitting up Dublin then county mergers will be next.
Laois/Carlow v Fingal in the 1st round of the LSFC. Sligo/Leitrim v Galway in CFC.

IMO if it was to happen (splitting Dublin) , it would be to STOP intercounty mergers happening rather than enabling them!
Again it is only in the event of Dublin dominance!

By the way - big crowds at games would soon be a thing of the past if one team was to completely dominate. It is in the interest of the game and fans/supporters to keep it competitive!

A competitive championship ( and reasonable ticket prices) will draw big crowds as will entertaining high scoring spectacles!

Thisonegoesto11

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 16, 2014, 12:54:55 AM
Quote from: Canalman on June 15, 2014, 10:38:19 PM

IMO if it was to happen (splitting Dublin) , it would be to STOP intercounty mergers happening rather than enabling them!
Again it is only in the event of Dublin dominance!

By the way - big crowds at games would soon be a thing of the past if one team was to completely dominate. It is in the interest of the game and fans/supporters to keep it competitive!

A competitive championship ( and reasonable ticket prices) will draw big crowds as will entertaining high scoring spectacles!

But surely if a team gets dominant, it shouldn't be handicapped in some way. It happens in all sports at different eras.  Imagine if they gave the Kilekenny team weights to carry in their socks to even out the hurling. Of course not, folk just begrudgingly admired them. We hoped one day they'd decline a little and others improved a little. Eventually it happened.

Anyway. If a team is going to be dominant. Then lets hope they play a brand of football that is pleasing to the eye.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 13, 2014, 04:32:59 PM
Johnnybegood, do you know how often they are training per week?
Do you know anything about the cars & the food or is it all hush hush

I think it's interesting that the two young lads who went to Australia didn't stay too long. I wonder were they made an offer they couldn't refuse whereas like Jim McGuinness said in Donegal there's no work or much money about so if you're a good player you're outta there. Either gone to soccer or Aussie Rules.

Do any of ye NON Dubs know many in the Dublin squad at the moment?

Why would we tell you, every player gets yearly grants for travelling etc?

Any chance we can have a lend of that 8 million development centre as I heard its magnificent and even Offaly's Niall McNamee said he was embarrassed for his own county seeing it.

But seriously lads, its time to move. We can continue all the sour grapes in the wexford thread, then the leinster final thread if we win and every other thread about Dublin this year. 

heffo

Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 16, 2014, 01:08:22 PM

I think it's interesting that the two young lads who went to Australia didn't stay too long. I wonder were they made an offer they couldn't refuse whereas like Jim McGuinness said in Donegal there's no work or much money about so if you're a good player you're outta there. Either gone to soccer or Aussie Rules.

Any chance we can have a lend of that 8 million development centre as I heard its magnificent and even Offaly's Niall McNamee said he was embarrassed for his own county seeing it.

£8m Development centre? Sure how can the rest of us compete with that??

The Aristocrat

Quote from: heffo on June 16, 2014, 01:32:53 PM

Time to split Tyrone I think is the only solution.

Dinny Breen

Sure aren't the GAA building Dublin their own one?

http://leovaradkar.ie/2013/06/plan-for-e9m-national-gaa-training-centre-a-major-step-for-blanchardstown-varadkar/
#newbridgeornowhere

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 16, 2014, 02:09:50 PM

Sure aren't the GAA building Dublin their own one?

http://leovaradkar.ie/2013/06/plan-for-e9m-national-gaa-training-centre-a-major-step-for-blanchardstown-varadkar/

Sure we have to compete with Tyrone  ;)

A few Years down the line before its up and running. DCB contributing 2 million Euro of its own money ( no more petrol money for the lads for a few years), the GAA paying the rest, and we are letting all other Leinster counties and visiting counties use it because we are that nice   :P

AZOffaly

Did the Tyrone Fan Club thing contribute a pile of cash to that? By the way, I wouldn't use the word 'Even' in the sentence "even Offaly's Niall McNamee said he was embarrassed for his own county seeing it. "

Poor auld Nialler would be embarrassed for his own county's facilities if Tyrone had had 4 tyres hanging out of an old swing set and calling it a training base.

sheamy

Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 16, 2014, 02:15:21 PM
A few Years down the line before its up and running. DCB contributing 2 million Euro of its own money ( no more petrol money for the lads for a few years), the GAA paying the rest, and we are letting all other Leinster counties and visiting counties use it because we are that nice   :P

The 2 million is not Dublin's own money. It was money given them by central GAA towards a site in Rathcoole. In effect, Dublin GAA are getting this for nothing.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/eyebrows-raised-beyond-the-pale-260781.html

The Aristocrat

Quote from: sheamy on June 16, 2014, 02:20:51 PM

The 2 million is not Dublin's own money. It was money given them by central GAA towards a site in Rathcoole. In effect, Dublin GAA are getting this for nothing.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/eyebrows-raised-beyond-the-pale-260781.html

Sure we don't need it, we are winning without the help from a performance centre.

All other teams can use it too, its not just for Dublin, they will use it but we have good facilities in UCD,DCU, davids, Swimming in blanch. Under Gilroy they trained in the snow on Partmarnock beach etc.

Cork getting a redevelopment of a stadium, Jesus split them, Casement park, time for a split lads. 

Someone please start up the Wexford v Dublin match thread for the love of Devine Christ. 

sheamy

Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 16, 2014, 02:33:02 PM

Sure we don't need it, we are winning without the help from a performance centre.

All other teams can use it too, its not just for Dublin, they will use it but we have good facilities in UCD,DCU, davids, Swimming in blanch. Under Gilroy they trained in the snow on Partmarnock beach etc.

Cork getting a redevelopment of a stadium, Jesus split them, Casement park, time for a split lads. 

Someone please start up the Wexford v Dublin match thread for the love of Devine Christ.

You can rant all you want but the fact remains that Dublin will get this facility for nothing whilst other counties put millions of their own cash into theirs.

I didn't mention splits and what provincial stadia have to do with the conversation is beyond me.

Time to split Antrim! Oh wait...

The Aristocrat

Quote from: sheamy on June 16, 2014, 02:39:47 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on June 16, 2014, 02:33:02 PM

You can rant all you want but the fact remains that Dublin will get this facility for nothing whilst other counties put millions of their own cash into theirs.

I didn't mention splits and what provincial stadia have to do with the conversation is beyond me.

Time to split Antrim! Oh wait...

Please contact the culchies who run the GAA and make the decisions, and we will just concentrate on winning matches. Thanks. Please note that fans on a GAA forum do nto make decisions on such matters.

Here you go - http://www.gaa.ie/contact-gaa/

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/contact-us.9.html

Please enjoy watching Total football from one of the best teams to ever play the game, Dublin, for the rest of the year.