Dubl$n v Laois Sunday June 8th 2014 Dubl$n at home as always

Started by Dont Matter, May 20, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: INDIANA on June 14, 2014, 01:28:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 14, 2014, 12:23:05 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 14, 2014, 11:35:41 AM
up until recently I didn't consider croker being a massive benefit to Dublin.

That's a good one! Changed your mind have you? Awoken from your slumber? Sure we all love playing in Croker! What advantage could a team have playing every important game in intercounty football at home? ;D

If we played Laois in the car-park of O Moore Park the result would still be the same.
Your fans would have a field day robbing the car radios.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

INDIANA

Quote from: laoislad on June 14, 2014, 01:59:33 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 14, 2014, 01:28:47 PM

That's a good one! Changed your mind have you? Awoken from your slumber? Sure we all love playing in Croker! What advantage could a team have playing every important game in intercounty football at home? ;D

If we played Laois in the car-park of O Moore Park the result would still be the same.
Your fans would have a field day robbing the car radios.

Market is down too many junkies in Portlaoise have them robbed before we could get near them!

lynchbhoy

Every player wants to play in croke park
were you not a player- or were you just a rubbish one?

It is a very marginal advantage, no more than that. but adding up all the advantages the Dublin lads certainly have an advantage - playing more in croker is a slight one- esp when its against teams (Donegal, mayo cork etc) who are used to playing there often enough (where any advantage is gone)

so have you nothing more to add rather than just a personal infantile crusade against me?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on June 14, 2014, 11:58:30 AM
But as they get better this will be a slight advantage though partially not their fault as leinster counties vote to allow this to happen.
Not sure if all home league games were in croker , used to be in parnel pk, but again the opposition would prob want to play in croke park for their own familiarisation!

the only way we can get around this is to build new provincial stadia to play all provincial championship matches - like the aussie rules have - if I am right, they play in shared stadia - the big ones around Australia?
To be honest, its not a runner either.
If the GAA are to spend money, its money for smaller stand covered artificial grass pitches  in each county so that club and underage games can be played in winter.

The issue here is that Dublin is the capital. its where the biggest population s, its where most if not all the work is. Its a small enough county geographically so easier distances to commute- and even with traffic jams, there are trains, luas and busses to help!
GAA loving businessmen will give work to young GAA stars, because there is work.
All this is much easier than any county outside of Dublin.

Maybe Dublin have hit a patch of great players and this wont turn into domination.
if however it does, it wont be a case of 'the dubs wont allow a split' - the rest of the 31 counties will vote for it.
there wont be a combination of meath/Westmeath, Kildare/Wicklow etc - that would fly in the face of the GAA, there wont be amalagmations at intercounty level - so the only obvious way to go will be to divide Dublin into 2 or 3.
There is enough of a population and GAA clubs in Dublin to do this - and I emphasise - SHOULD the need arise.

The precedent has already been set with Fingal doing quite well in the hurling competitions already.

but there is too much hysteria about this right now. Some guys should learn to take their beating (though some of us are used to this in annual championship seasons anyway!!).

a lot of hypocricy here about professional Dublin players when it has been the country boys (me being one of them- though I refused the offers) who have been paid to play in Dublin clubs from 20 years ago up until now (cough parnells cough) while home grown players got nothing!

I think the Dubs can be beaten. If McCauley gets inj, Dub are like tryone at midfield ...weak enough!!
but its great to beat them on the field of play. always was!!
:D

So you're basis for splitting Dublin is domination of the game. Ah right! So with that logic Kilkenny will be split into 3/4 teams, Kerry into 2/3. Mayo have dominated Connacht so they might be in this bracket too. Going forward Cork have more clubs than Dublin so they should probably be split too before they start dominating or maybe because they were dominant before and we don't want dominant teams it appears.

FFS what a load of bollox! What would happen if two of the split teams ended up against each other in the final. Split them into 6/8 teams??

You're a funny man among many funny people on this site!  ;D
not funny at all (though give me a few pints and a group of good lads and im as good a craic as most!)

I did say IF Dublin dominated...

but the rest is my opinion.

Kilkenny and Kerry dominated but were beatable
Dublin are like that right now, but given population and the financial (off field work opportunities etc) that Dublin have then in the future there could be merit in splitting the county.

lets be honest, how else could you make a more level playing field than that.
The comparison that cork have more clubs is ludicrous.
So what if they do.
I sincerely doubt they have the amount of players Dublin clubs have.
I know our own club in Dublin were fielding over 50 teams in all codes, age groups and genders 10 years ago.
not sure what it is now. But no clubs in the country outside of Dublin can compete with that.

IMO there are too many players competing for positions in Dublin. The u21 midfielder of a few years ago is now 24 and 'too old' and was usurped on the Dublin panel by younger (better) players. A lad like that would be starring in over half of the other counties.

If it happens, embrace change, it wont be as bad as you think.
Croke park was opened up to soccer and rugby and no one died. (ok apart from slightly temp financially benefitting the organisation it did feck all for us). But you see what I mean.

IF is what I say, but it would still be a long way off.
so calm down.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 14, 2014, 07:17:13 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on June 14, 2014, 11:58:30 AM
But as they get better this will be a slight advantage though partially not their fault as leinster counties vote to allow this to happen.
Not sure if all home league games were in croker , used to be in parnel pk, but again the opposition would prob want to play in croke park for their own familiarisation!

the only way we can get around this is to build new provincial stadia to play all provincial championship matches - like the aussie rules have - if I am right, they play in shared stadia - the big ones around Australia?
To be honest, its not a runner either.
If the GAA are to spend money, its money for smaller stand covered artificial grass pitches  in each county so that club and underage games can be played in winter.

The issue here is that Dublin is the capital. its where the biggest population s, its where most if not all the work is. Its a small enough county geographically so easier distances to commute- and even with traffic jams, there are trains, luas and busses to help!
GAA loving businessmen will give work to young GAA stars, because there is work.
All this is much easier than any county outside of Dublin.

Maybe Dublin have hit a patch of great players and this wont turn into domination.
if however it does, it wont be a case of 'the dubs wont allow a split' - the rest of the 31 counties will vote for it.
there wont be a combination of meath/Westmeath, Kildare/Wicklow etc - that would fly in the face of the GAA, there wont be amalagmations at intercounty level - so the only obvious way to go will be to divide Dublin into 2 or 3.
There is enough of a population and GAA clubs in Dublin to do this - and I emphasise - SHOULD the need arise.

The precedent has already been set with Fingal doing quite well in the hurling competitions already.

but there is too much hysteria about this right now. Some guys should learn to take their beating (though some of us are used to this in annual championship seasons anyway!!).

a lot of hypocricy here about professional Dublin players when it has been the country boys (me being one of them- though I refused the offers) who have been paid to play in Dublin clubs from 20 years ago up until now (cough parnells cough) while home grown players got nothing!

I think the Dubs can be beaten. If McCauley gets inj, Dub are like tryone at midfield ...weak enough!!
but its great to beat them on the field of play. always was!!
:D

So you're basis for splitting Dublin is domination of the game. Ah right! So with that logic Kilkenny will be split into 3/4 teams, Kerry into 2/3. Mayo have dominated Connacht so they might be in this bracket too. Going forward Cork have more clubs than Dublin so they should probably be split too before they start dominating or maybe because they were dominant before and we don't want dominant teams it appears.

FFS what a load of bollox! What would happen if two of the split teams ended up against each other in the final. Split them into 6/8 teams??

You're a funny man among many funny people on this site!  ;D
not funny at all (though give me a few pints and a group of good lads and im as good a craic as most!)

I did say IF Dublin dominated...

but the rest is my opinion.

Kilkenny and Kerry dominated but were beatable
Dublin are like that right now, but given population and the financial (off field work opportunities etc) that Dublin have then in the future there could be merit in splitting the county.

lets be honest, how else could you make a more level playing field than that.
The comparison that cork have more clubs is ludicrous.
So what if they do.
I sincerely doubt they have the amount of players Dublin clubs have.
I know our own club in Dublin were fielding over 50 teams in all codes, age groups and genders 10 years ago.
not sure what it is now. But no clubs in the country outside of Dublin can compete with that.

IMO there are too many players competing for positions in Dublin. The u21 midfielder of a few years ago is now 24 and 'too old' and was usurped on the Dublin panel by younger (better) players. A lad like that would be starring in over half of the other counties.

If it happens, embrace change, it wont be as bad as you think.
Croke park was opened up to soccer and rugby and no one died. (ok apart from slightly temp financially benefitting the organisation it did feck all for us). But you see what I mean.

IF is what I say, but it would still be a long way off.
so calm down.
if it ever happens you can say goodbye to the big support currently attached to the Dublin footballers

squire_in_navy_slacks

If Dublin Gaa is split the amount off Dublin fans that will walk away from the game will be phenomenal !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zulu

Dublin won't be split, nor should it but Dub fans need to be a bit less sensitive. Debating the merits of splitting a county with a population of over a million is a valid discussion.

Hardy

Sorry, I was misreading all that.

We used to make a Summer out of splitting Dubs.

And, with a little luck, we will again, sometime.

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on June 15, 2014, 11:22:31 AM
Dublin won't be split, nor should it but Dub fans need to be a bit less sensitive. Debating the merits of splitting a county with a population of over a million is a valid discussion.

Indeed it should be discussed, the problem is when you have a handful of trolls starting 5/6 threads on the topic and every Dublin thread being taken over by it.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on June 15, 2014, 11:05:01 AM
If Dublin Gaa is split the amount off Dublin fans that will walk away from the game will be phenomenal !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe so
But the 'big' Dublin support was missing before pat gilroys tenure , then markedly absent in 2011 IMO - so the dubs like most fans have a hard core support with a majority of fair weather fans that come out to support a winning team.

If a split ever happened then a winning team would have to come about to create a fan base!

Dublins split teams given close proximity to large populations of fans stand a better chance of doing this than anyone else!
Esp given the rise in interest in sports and GAA in particular and being aimed at kids and families ( ticket prices for these need to be kept v low).

Any possible split is a long way off lads!

PaddyP73

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 13, 2014, 04:32:59 PM
Johnnybegood, do you know how often they are training per week?
Do you know anything about the cars & the food or is it all hush hush

I think it's interesting that the two young lads who went to Australia didn't stay too long. I wonder were they made an offer they couldn't refuse whereas like Jim McGuinness said in Donegal there's no work or much money about so if you're a good player you're outta there. Either gone to soccer or Aussie Rules.

Do any of ye NON Dubs know many in the Dublin squad at the moment?

how much are Tyrone County Board paying Niall Morgan to cancel his contract with Dungannon Swifts?

Johnnybegood

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 15, 2014, 02:25:00 PM
Maybe so
But the 'big' Dublin support was missing before pat gilroys tenure , then markedly absent in 2011 IMO - so the dubs like most fans have a hard core support with a majority of fair weather fans that come out to support a winning team.

If a split ever happened then a winning team would have to come about to create a fan base!

Dublins split teams given close proximity to large populations of fans stand a better chance of doing this than anyone else!
Esp given the rise in interest in sports and GAA in particular and being aimed at kids and families ( ticket prices for these need to be kept v low).

again another post sidestepping the facts, during the noughties Dublin regularly filled croker during Tommy Lyons and Paul Caffereys reigns, Dublin have been well supported regardless of success since the 70s,  that will all go if the county were to be split.

From the Bunker

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 14, 2014, 07:08:59 PM

It is a very marginal advantage, no more than that. but adding up all the advantages the Dublin lads certainly have an advantage - playing more in croker is a slight one- esp when its against teams (Donegal, mayo cork etc) who are used to playing there often enough (where any advantage is gone)

so have you nothing more to add rather than just a personal infantile crusade against me?

Nothing more to add. I agree with you that Dublin have an advantage of playing all important games at home. This advantage is a slight one against teams (Donegal, mayo cork etc) who are used to playing there often enough (if you call once or twice a year and maybe three times often). But the advantage against the rest is huge!

Johnnybegood

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 15, 2014, 04:41:59 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 14, 2014, 07:08:59 PM

Nothing more to add. I agree with you that Dublin have an advantage of playing all important games at home. This advantage is a slight one against teams (Donegal, mayo cork etc) who are used to playing there often enough (if you call once or twice a year and maybe three times often). But the advantage against the rest is huge!
if it's so big why did Wexford give up home advantage a couple of years ago and opt instead to play in croker?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Johnnybegood on June 15, 2014, 04:36:14 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 15, 2014, 02:25:00 PM
Maybe so

again another post sidestepping the facts, during the noughties Dublin regularly filled croker during Tommy Lyons and Paul Caffereys reigns, Dublin have been well supported regardless of success since the 70s,  that will all go if the county were to be split.
Nope
I attend a lot if not most of these games and when all is going well or it's nearing the culmination of the season , croker is fuller and it can be harder to get tickets.
Some seasons in past 6 years the crowds have been sparse enough for me to recall wondering where the fecking fans have all gone.
I don't have stats and no axe to grind here either way but my eyes are decent!

If anything I was disappointed in the lower attendance as I want football to consume the passions and be the priority sport for Dublin kids and denizens!

Peaks and troughs I suppose, and the fickle nature of people and fans in general!

Don't get your knickers in a twist!! It's just a personal observation!