Gavin Duffy Joins Mayo Panel

Started by Syferus, May 14, 2014, 11:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: regal on May 15, 2014, 09:25:53 AM
It's hardly a midfielder mayo need. They badly need a centre half back / centre half forward though

If Duffy is to play for Mayo, I would imagine it will be either centre-back or full-forward. I don't think he'll have the running game for centre-forward, same probably goes for midfield and we're fine for midfielders anyway.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ballinaman

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 09:41:40 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 15, 2014, 09:25:13 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 09:23:09 AM
I honestly don't get that.
That's ok.

What exactly are the Mayo players going to learn from a guy that played for the weakest provincial rugby team in the country?
You should train properly and look after yourself?
Don't mind this lad, get Ciaran McDonald back.
Ok, say they don't learn anything and he's off the panel after 3 or 4 sessions and doesn't work out. Fair enough, no harm in having a look.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: ballinaman on May 15, 2014, 08:55:36 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 15, 2014, 08:50:10 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 01:07:52 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 14, 2014, 11:38:12 PM
ha you never lose it, i remember what this lad at minors, he be up to the fitness through the rugby, long time out though, mayo are overlaid with midfielders but it be interesting if he can be converted for cover at Fullback

He'll be big and strong.
He needs to be agile and quick though.

I remember Eric Miller lumbering around full forward (like the Mayo midfield last September) for a couple of games nearly ten years ago post-rugby
Miller was converting.
Duffy has always been regarded as being a better footballer than rugby player before turning professional.
6'1....15 stone on the Connacht website. Brilliant character to have around the team even if he doesn't kick a ball.

15 stone and 6.1 for a footballer is fat....................straight off he needs to trim down..........................and if he does bring personality to the team thats a good thing, Id say Horan bores the shite out of them at this stage

ballinaman

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 15, 2014, 10:04:15 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 15, 2014, 08:55:36 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 15, 2014, 08:50:10 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 01:07:52 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 14, 2014, 11:38:12 PM
ha you never lose it, i remember what this lad at minors, he be up to the fitness through the rugby, long time out though, mayo are overlaid with midfielders but it be interesting if he can be converted for cover at Fullback

He'll be big and strong.
He needs to be agile and quick though.

I remember Eric Miller lumbering around full forward (like the Mayo midfield last September) for a couple of games nearly ten years ago post-rugby
Miller was converting.
Duffy has always been regarded as being a better footballer than rugby player before turning professional.
6'1....15 stone on the Connacht website. Brilliant character to have around the team even if he doesn't kick a ball.

15 stone and 6.1 for a footballer is fat....................straight off he needs to trim down..........................and if he does bring personality to the team thats a good thing, Id say Horan bores the shite out of them at this stage
Aye...a real fatboy....

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 09:41:40 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on May 15, 2014, 09:25:13 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 15, 2014, 09:23:09 AM
I honestly don't get that.
That's ok.

What exactly are the Mayo players going to learn from a guy that played for the weakest provincial rugby team in the country?
You should train properly and look after yourself?
Don't mind this lad, get Ciaran McDonald back.

Hes also an Irish international, only 32 and able to play football. Its a win-win for Mayo, doesnt make it, nothing lost, lads maybe learn a thing or two about preparation from a different sport. Does make it and we've got a capable footballer from nowhere
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam

Now all we need is Pierce Hanley

thewobbler

15 stone and 6.1 for a footballer is fat....................straight off he needs to trim down..........................

One of the strangest comments I've ever read on GAA board.

stephenite

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 15, 2014, 10:26:45 AM

That's about the size of it.

Duffy was a football talent over and above anything I'd seen. Rugby was always the priority though. No harm in having a look now, even at 32, but if a silver bullet exists for Mayo football, it's in Brisbane

ballinaman

Quote from: stephenite on May 15, 2014, 10:30:53 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 15, 2014, 10:26:45 AM

That's about the size of it.

Duffy was a football talent over and above anything I'd seen. Rugby was always the priority though. No harm in having a look now, even at 32, but if a silver bullet exists for Mayo football, it's in Brisbane
Ya, heard it's doing very well this year in an absolutely shocking Brisbane team.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: thewobbler on May 15, 2014, 10:29:43 AM

15 stone and 6.1 for a footballer is fat....................straight off he needs to trim down..........................

ok fat is the wrong term I suppose as its quite a touchy word with fat folk however he will need to trim down and loose at least a stone or 3/4 to survive in the modern game..............................

AMayoFan

Will it be deem cynically if Gavin makes a Kavanaghist type tackle or just him readjusting to the game rules  lol

Interesting to see how he adopts back to GAA, and what he brings in terms of 'holding the line', and good luck to him.  No guarantee he will fit into the team, but in any case, is this the most radical move (experiment) by JH over his Mayo management term ?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 15, 2014, 10:34:52 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 15, 2014, 10:29:43 AM

ok fat is the wrong term I suppose as its quite a touchy word with fat folk however he will need to trim down and loose at least a stone or 3/4 to survive in the modern game..............................

You really dont have a notion what you're talking about do you?

His weight has f**k all to do with anything, what is important is his %bodyfat, which I'd imagine will be maybe a percent or two lower than what it is expected to be as a rugby player. I would say by looking at him that he is already in that range

Hardy

I'd say by looking at him he's inclined to take too many steps.

Mayo4Sam

Why dont ye meath lads wait in a corner for Gerathy's next coming

Rossfan

Obviously a sign of total desperation in Rhubarbland.
I believ an ex Soccer player by the name of Kilbane is also qualified to play for them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM